• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper fit for shoe trees

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a proper fit for shoe trees?  I ask because I'm starting to experience some toe curl on a pair of Allen Edmonds that I suspect is due to the poor fit of the shoe trees I'm using.  I've recently purchased some C&Js and Grensons and would really prefer to avoid that with them.  I'd be willing to pair a fair amount for shoe trees that fit well if a good fit is better for the shoes (although $350 Lobb trees do not fall into the "fair amount" category).

dan

kidkim2

Reaction score
I hate to admit this, but they say that confession is good for the soul. . . .

None of my shoe trees is even half as effective, on any measure, as a crumpled up page from a three-month-old New York Times.

(They're right.  I feel better.)

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a two-day old wall street journal, will that work?

also, i've tried, but have had no luck putting shoe trees on my feet. so i would say there is no proper fit for shoe trees, unless you're supposed to wear them on some other location.

/andrew - the weisenheimer

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
I would assume you would want a snug fit all around for the tree to be effective. On another note I too have a pair of A&E's with some toe curl. When I contacted there refurbishing department about it they told me it was natural and unless it became very bad not to worry about it. Kind of weird but I have shoe trees in all my shoes and the A&E's are the only ones that curl.

kidkim2

Reaction score
If a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes started to curl on me, with or without shoetrees or NYT (even WSJ) I'd return 'em in a heartbeat.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would assume you would want a snug fit all around for the tree to be effective. On another note I too have a pair of A&E's with some toe curl. When I contacted there refurbishing department about it they told me it was natural and unless it became very bad not to worry about it. Kind of weird but I have shoe trees in all my shoes and the A&E's are the only ones that curl.
Hmm, that's not encouraging.  I'm convinced that I get more creasing across the toe with "curling" shoes than with shoes that stay nice and straight with shoe trees, although, as Andrew points out, they're still a lot more comfortable than shoe trees.

Thanks for the reply.

dan

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best shoe trees I have are the $20 ones I got from Macy's during my trip to Hawaii. I managed to even get a pair for $15. I should have bought more while I had the chance.

Wonderful fit around the heel, something very important for me since thin-heeled shoe trees create an unsightly creasing there. The toe fit seems to be good, although I don't see what the problem is about toe curling: I believe it's only natural for the front part of the shoe to exhibit some curl as wear continues. After all, it is made of leather, a pliable material, and your feet don't stay flat all the time you're walking. Unless you're talking about some other, more horrible form of toe curl, I don't think it's a problem.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful fit around the heel, something very important for me since thin-heeled shoe trees create an unsightly creasing there. The toe fit seems to be good, although I don't see what the problem is about toe curling: I believe it's only natural for the front part of the shoe to exhibit some curl as wear continues. After all, it is made of leather, a pliable material, and your feet don't stay flat all the time you're walking. Unless you're talking about some other, more horrible form of toe curl, I don't think it's a problem.
Well, my moderately-informed take on the matter is that the uppers are stretched over the last and attached to the sole (or whatever) while it's new and flat.  If the sole subsequently curls, the uppers will not be pulled taut and will develop some especially unsightly creases.  That's been my experience, at least.

dan

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is about the only thing I can think of that the New York Times is good for.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I had always used the spring loaded cedar shoe trees that came in general sizes like M(8-9.5), L(10-11.5), and such. (I am an 8.5EE or 9D)

I bought a pair of the Ralph Lauren Purple Label E Greens on bluefly this summer, and they came with hinged shoe trees. Those shoe trees are much harder to ease into the shoe, and appear to put much more overall pressure on the shoe once fully inserted than any of my spring loaded trees do.

Bic

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is about the only thing I can think of that the New York Times is good for.
smile.gif
 That's great.  I'll have to remember that one.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a pair of the Ralph Lauren Purple Label E Greens on bluefly this summer, and they came with hinged shoe trees. Those shoe trees are much harder to ease into the shoe, and appear to put much more overall pressure on the shoe once fully inserted than any of my spring loaded trees do.

The trick with those trees is to slip them in at a sideways angle - about 45 degrees. Turn them back to flat as they go in. They should slip in easily that way.

marc37

Reaction score
l get all my shoe trees for $8. l buy them from a factory that employs half-wits (no offence).

Hey Faustian bargain: l love your avator. Totally cool, it rules m8. (lt's as good as mine, possibly better).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics