• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aj805

Reaction score
@Seph, early in the summer one of your sales associates said that a square hemline option was coming soon. Any progress on this? I've been holding off on casual shirt orders while waiting .

I'm also very interested in this option.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Seph, early in the summer one of your sales associates said that a square hemline option was coming soon. Any progress on this? I've been holding off on casual shirt orders while waiting .

Yes - great question. It's a high priority for us as well and I was hoping to add it quickly, but turned out it's required some larger more complicated changes to our size system. Things are still in process, but seems like it could be another couple months still.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Is there any advantage to the edge-stitching at the hem? It seems to make the fabric curl. I understand edge stitching on collars and cuffs (which PC does not do) because there's interfacing and two layers of fabric making everything behave. None of my other shirts have it at the hem. The few hand-made shirts in my closet have stitching 1/4" to 1/2" from the hem.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had two of the Reda merino shirts arrive yesterday (navy gingham and light blue mini gingham) and wow. That fabric is extremely impressive. Crazy soft and the shirts were barely wrinkled after taking them out of the package. What wrinkles there were gone in a minute after a quick iron on the wool setting.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is there any advantage to the edge-stitching at the hem? It seems to make the fabric curl. I understand edge stitching on collars and cuffs (which PC does not do) because there's interfacing and two layers of fabric making everything behave. None of my other shirts have it at the hem. The few hand-made shirts in my closet have stitching 1/4" to 1/2" from the hem.

We've heard this feedback and are in the process of exploring alternatives. I've always considered the tight stitch along the hem a mark of premium quality, but I understand the rolling/curling issue - particularly on casual fabrics being worn shorter and not tucked into the pants. Hope to come up with something for this soon.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had two of the Reda merino shirts arrive yesterday (navy gingham and light blue mini gingham) and wow. That fabric is extremely impressive. Crazy soft and the shirts were barely wrinkled after taking them out of the package. What wrinkles there were gone in a minute after a quick iron on the wool setting.
Thoughts on wearing as work shirts, or strictly casual? The stripes look pretty nice...

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on wearing as work shirts, or strictly casual? The stripes look pretty nice...

I wouldn't have any hesitation doing so. They are very smooth fabrics and very lightweight. I bought the ginghams as a hedge on this. I knew I would use them as casual shirts but also wanted to judge the fabric for suitability as a more business shirt because I really thought the light blue stripe would be useful. I'm convinced it will work great. The only thing to be aware of is that the merino cannot be a true white and is more of cream or natural color.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have any hesitation doing so. They are very smooth fabrics and very lightweight. I bought the ginghams as a hedge on this. I knew I would use them as casual shirts but also wanted to judge the fabric for suitability as a more business shirt because I really thought the light blue stripe would be useful. I'm convinced it will work great. The only thing to be aware of is that the merino cannot be a true white and is more of cream or natural color.

I have three of the merino wool shirts: one in light grey, one in dark grey, and one in blue and white check. I wear them all casually now, but I have worn them all in a business casual setting. The blue and white one can actually almost go business--except with a light drape that is not quite the same as cotton. You can wear them casual, business casual, or smart casual with no issues. Business I think is a stretch up close.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should clarify. My theoretical use of the blue and white stripe would be with sport coat and tie, which is a work/business shirt for me at the moment and not “business” in the traditional sense. I wasn’t really considering these for use with a suit.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should clarify. My theoretical use of the blue and white stripe would be with sport coat and tie, which is a work/business shirt for me at the moment and not “business” in the traditional sense. I wasn’t really considering these for use with a suit.
It would work, but the drape is very soft

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Frankie Fuzz

Reaction score
I'd like to get some opinions on the fit of this shirt. I ordered the regular 16x34 without any adjustments. The main issues as I see them are:

Twisting in the upper arm
Bunching in back of shoulder(s)
Lines from top button to shoulder
Too much fabric in back
Length slightly too long for untucked
Cuffs slightly too wide

The first set of recommendations I got via email are:

1) Adjust shoulder/armpit from full to tailored to fix the twisting
2) Increase yoke width by 0.25''
3) Adjust shoulder slope from normal to square shoulders to remove lines from button to shoulder.
4) Decrease midsection by X, where X is dependent on whether I want to wear tucked or untucked

I'm not sure about changing to square shoulders. I included a shirtless photo just to give a better idea of my shoulder shape. From this photo, aren't my shoulders quite sloped? The change to tailored shoulders seems like a good idea, though I'm a bit worried the shirt will be too tight in the armpit (right now it is fairly tight where the armpit meets the back). Also, I am wondering if the chest measurement should be increased.

What do ya'll think?

IMG_1572.jpeg
IMG_1591.jpeg
IMG_1601.jpeg
IMG_1611.jpeg
IMG_1617.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get some opinions on the fit of this shirt. I ordered the regular 16x34 without any adjustments. The main issues as I see them are:

Twisting in the upper arm
Bunching in back of shoulder(s)
Lines from top button to shoulder
Too much fabric in back
Length slightly too long for untucked
Cuffs slightly too wide

The first set of recommendations I got via email are:

1) Adjust shoulder/armpit from full to tailored to fix the twisting
2) Increase yoke width by 0.25''
3) Adjust shoulder slope from normal to square shoulders to remove lines from button to shoulder.
4) Decrease midsection by X, where X is dependent on whether I want to wear tucked or untucked

I'm not sure about changing to square shoulders. I included a shirtless photo just to give a better idea of my shoulder shape. From this photo, aren't my shoulders quite sloped? The change to tailored shoulders seems like a good idea, though I'm a bit worried the shirt will be too tight in the armpit (right now it is fairly tight where the armpit meets the back). Also, I am wondering if the chest measurement should be increased.

What do ya'll think?

View attachment 1230013 View attachment 1230014 View attachment 1230015 View attachment 1230016 View attachment 1230017
Square shoulder seems correct to me

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes ..u appear to have square ish shoulders.....broad and a bit musculAr....

id try darts in rear as well

tailored pits can increase snugness and pulling a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads