• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

counselor

Reaction score
but given that so much of a good custom shirt is down to the person doing the measuring, I'm not convinced a remake is going to do me much good.

I agree with the measurements part. Do you have another OTR or MTM shirt that you want duplicated? Use that.

I provided my own measurements based on another shirt. The first came in tighter than I would have liked, so they remade it per my updated measurements. The fit on the remake is near perfect.

shhQuiet

Reaction score
Shirts #7 and 8 on the way. I ordered a sample of this fabric first:
IMG_1033.jpg

Got the white collar accent there.

Got this one because it was on sale [emoji16]
IMG_1034.jpg

eddiemczee

Reaction score
So when do long-sleeve polo shirts become an option?

Not officially a polo, but they released some knit fabric last week. You could make a popover to create a polo-esque shirt:

Looks like navy is sold out, but light blue and white are still available.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
FWIW, their piques are not polo-like at all, much thinner with a tighter weave.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. The problem is we're still limited to the popover style like you mentioned, when what I'd be looking for is a flat hem with side slits. So adding this option would make a big difference, as well as a polo-style placket with 2 buttons below the collar instead of 3 like on the popover style.

paxonus

Reaction score
Hey guys, I commissioned some of the cotton linen pants from propercloth. The fabric is actually quite lovely and I like the color a lot. Can you guys help me out with the fit though? I am trying to get them to drape better, especially over my seat. I think I may need a bit more room in the thighs, maybe a touch less in the seat, and maybe a bit more in the waist, but am open to suggestions. I am unsure about the rise. For reference, the pants are fitting about 3 finger widths below my belly button. I have a small waist and large glutes/thighs from weight lifting. I find it very difficult to get pants that fit right and am just looking for some guidance. I can either take it to the tailor or send it back to them for adjustments. Thanks!

View attachment 1174501

View attachment 1174502

View attachment 1174503

View attachment 1174504
Before you go back to Proper Cloth, take them to a tailor and see what he can do. Use the resulting measurements on your next order. It looks like you need more in the thigh, and less in the hip.

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. The problem is we're still limited to the popover style like you mentioned, when what I'd be looking for is a flat hem with side slits. So adding this option would make a big difference, as well as a polo-style placket with 2 buttons below the collar instead of 3 like on the popover style.
Have you checked the White One Button Polo Placket? I think they just added it.
Personally in warmer weather I'd prefer the thinner fabric as opposed to traditional thicker polo fabrics but to each their own.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically use Luxire, but am interested in trying proper cloth. Has anyone seen a cloth guide that's been published, to help decide which are quality fabrics?

DEE1970

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! I like this idea - though we have quite a few projects going on at the moment and I'm not sure when we'll be able to set this up.
Hi Seph - a quick update on this post from March. I took the plunge and despite not being able to see fabric samples, I ordered a jacket! It arrived a few weeks ago but was too small, luckily for me the PC customer service team went into action, remade the jacket (free of charge) and the replacement arrived a few days ago. Despite the initial problems and the ridiculous £/$ exchange rate (which definitely isn't your fault!), I am 100% delighted with my jacket. I still think that you would sell more tailoring if you were able to supply fabric samples, but once again PC have really impressed me with the quality of their service - I would recommend them to any Styleforum users.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my measurements done in the PC showroom recently, and my shirt came in looking absolutely horrendous. I know they offer free alterations and remake the entire shirt, but given that so much of a good custom shirt is down to the person doing the measuring, I'm not convinced a remake is going to do me much good.

Has anyone been measured competently in the showroom? And if so, by whom?

I had mine done in the NYC showroom but don't recall the names. The fit was very good. In fact, it actually fits better than my bespoke Ascot Chang shirts, though my AC shirts appear to better made and of higher quality fabric (2x price).

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my initial fit was in NYC as well..it turned out poorly. over time its now a very good fit

my fellings?......the fellas at PC are not all very good.....some are tho......and they are not skilled tailors.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Seph - a quick update on this post from March. I took the plunge and despite not being able to see fabric samples, I ordered a jacket! It arrived a few weeks ago but was too small, luckily for me the PC customer service team went into action, remade the jacket (free of charge) and the replacement arrived a few days ago. Despite the initial problems and the ridiculous £/$ exchange rate (which definitely isn't your fault!), I am 100% delighted with my jacket. I still think that you would sell more tailoring if you were able to supply fabric samples, but once again PC have really impressed me with the quality of their service - I would recommend them to any Styleforum users.
Great to hear - thanks for the update!

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After one remake and two PC shirts I've determined I simply fall outside of PC's typical measurement/fit algorithms.

Better options for armpit, forearm, sleeve pitch, and mid-back (alternative to darts) would probably tempt me to try again PC. More collar options like a Soft Milano would also help. Customer service is top notch however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads