• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first Proper Cloth shirt. Measurements based off a well-fitting shirt from a different MTM company. I did wash and iron the shirt prior to photos for accuracy. Thoughts on fit????

Details
-Mayfair Wrinkle-Resistant Light Blue Stripe PCF2174
-Roma Spread Collar

The Good
-Fantastic and robust fabric. Dries quickly and is super wrinkle resistant for being 100% cotton.
-Packaging and presentation. Little things like that and having my name on the shirt tag are welcomed.
-Easy to order and two week turn around service.

The Not So Good
-Almost the entire right side of the shirt is pulling/twisting in an odd direction. If I "twist my torso" to the left about 45 degrees the pulling seems to go away. I do have a dropped right shoulder, but this type of pulling doesn't occur on RTW shirts or any of my MTM shirts from other shirt makers (Ceteris paribus). Seems to be the way the pattern was cut or sewn.
-Both the bicep and wrist measurements are fine, but the forearm is rather tight. Shame there is no way to modify this without changing the biceps or wrists.
-Speaking of arms, is there a way to change the sleeve pitch? You can clearly see the pulling between the bicep and shoulder.

Overall
-A decent first try. The majority of the fit issues are on my end and will easily be tweaked next order. The shirt is okay if worn under a jacket. Not sure I would wear it without one, although the shirt was intended to be business/formal anyway.

ProperCloth-1.jpg

ProperCloth-2.jpg

ProperCloth-3.jpg

ProperCloth-4.jpg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first Proper Cloth shirt. Measurements based off a well-fitting shirt from a different MTM company. I did wash and iron the shirt prior to photos for accuracy. Thoughts on fit????

Details
-Roma Spread Collar

The Good
-Fantastic and robust fabric. Dries quickly and is super wrinkle resistant for being 100% cotton.
-Packaging and presentation. Little things like that and having my name on the shirt tag are welcomed.

The Not So Good
-Almost the entire right side of the shirt is pulling/twisting in an odd direction. If I "twist my torso" to the left about 45 degrees the pulling seems to go away. I do have a dropped right shoulder, but this type of pulling doesn't occur on RTW shirts or any of my MTM shirts from other shirt makers (Ceteris paribus). Seems to be the way the pattern was cut or sewn.
-Both the bicep and wrist measurements are fine, but the forearm is rather tight. Shame there is no way to modify this without changing the biceps or wrists.
-Speaking of arms, is there a way to change the sleeve pitch? You can clearly see the pulling between the bicep and shoulder.

Overall
-A decent first try. The majority of the fit issues are on my end and will easily be tweaked next order. The shirt is okay if worn under a jacket. Not sure I would wear it without one, although the shirt was intended to be business/formal anyway.

View attachment 1143859

View attachment 1143860

View attachment 1143861

View attachment 1143862

The test is very odd and something I haven't seen before on a PC shirt. The tight forearm can be made better with an additional pleat I think on the cuff. The default is 2 pleats, but you could select 3 to perhaps make this better

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 pleats on the sleeve seems mandatory to me. Increasingly i am leaning towards my other shirt maker, even at a materially higher price point...

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 pleats on the sleeve seems mandatory to me. Increasingly i am leaning towards my other shirt maker, even at a materially higher price point...

That's a nonsequitur. Why would 3 pleats make you lean to another maker? Something else might...but 3 pleats? PC can do 3 pleats.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm scratching my head as to why the forearm in particular is so tight. Both the wrist and bicep measurements are identical to my shirts of a different MTM maker, and those shirts have more forearm room yet no pleats in favor of cuff shirring.

EDIT: I'm not a huge fan of sleeve pleats, as the added fabric sometimes leaves visible lines through the sleeves of my suit jacket. At the same time I understand PC's limitations from a production line perspective.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm scratching my head as to why the forearm in particular is so tight. Both the wrist and bicep measurements are identical to my shirts of a different MTM maker, and those shirts have more forearm room yet no pleats in favor of cuff shirring.

EDIT: I'm not a huge fan of sleeve pleats, as the added fabric sometimes leaves visible lines through the sleeves of my suit jacket. At the same time I understand PC's limitations from a production line perspective.
As someone who's been felled by the too tight forearm issue, I'll just say you're completely f****d without pleated sleeves. Even having two renders forearms rather tight for me.
This would sound a sub-optimal solution, from your perspective, but I've just opened up the bicep measurement slightly for my shirts. A tad bit more billowy, but not so much that it looks silly, and significantly more comfortable to wear.

Last edited:

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@patliean1 @WillingToLearn it's hardly the op

As someone who's been felled by the too tight forearm issue, I'll just say you're completely f****d without pleated sleeves. Even having two renders forearms rather tight for me.
This would sound a sub-optimal solution, from your perspective, but I've just opened up the bicep measurement slightly for my shirts. A tad bit more billowy, but not so much that it looks silly, and significantly more comfortable to wear.

Thanks kind sir.
I've been doing much weight training (like you) so my proportions probably aren't 100% ideal for PC's algorithm.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 3 pleats on my PC shirts. Makes a big difference.

My comment about leaning towards my other maker is due to less than perfect collars and inconsistent fit/qc issues.

2 separate comments

Cidermonk

Reaction score

Details
-Roma Spread Collar

The Good

The Not So Good

Overall

View attachment 1143859

View attachment 1143860

View attachment 1143861

View attachment 1143862

If the bump on the placket between the collar button and first button bothers you, then you can adjust the placement of the first button.

https://propercloth.com/reference/top-button-placement/

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horning in on the thread hoping for some advice - been meaning to give PC a try for a while now.
Wondering: is there a way to set different arm lengths on shirts? My left arm is almost a full inch shorter than my right from a HS Rugby injury.
Also - I occasionally go to NY for work - has anyone scheduled an in-person fitting with them? And is it worth the time?

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horning in on the thread hoping for some advice - been meaning to give PC a try for a while now.
Wondering: is there a way to set different arm lengths on shirts? My left arm is almost a full inch shorter than my right from a HS Rugby injury.
Also - I occasionally go to NY for work - has anyone scheduled an in-person fitting with them? And is it worth the time?
I don’t know about different arm lengths. It’s not on their form and they’re not great about off-menu ordering.

As for an in-person fitting, I recommend it. Use the booking form on their site and take a trip to Soho. Totally worthwhile. The fitting is great and you’ll be able to see sample collars and fabrics. Plus it’s a cool showroom space looking down onto lower Broadway.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about different arm lengths. It’s not on their form and they’re not great about off-menu ordering.

As for an in-person fitting, I recommend it. Use the booking form on their site and take a trip to Soho. Totally worthwhile. The fitting is great and you’ll be able to see sample collars and fabrics. Plus it’s a cool showroom space looking down onto lower Broadway.

Thanks much. Will schedule time to go in to their showroom next time its in NY. Its absurd I haven't before, my company's showroom is also on Broadway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads