• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of y’all have experience with the Airtex fabrics? I’m on a mission to turn my shirting into almost exclusively linen/linen blends, but thought that could make for an interesting change of pace

Reaction score
@Seph Thanks for answering so many questions recently in this thread.

Would love the option of welted hand pockets for thick shirts such as the eye catching fabric PCF2491. This would be useful for shirt-jackets or over-shirts.
https://propercloth.com/fabrics/navy-and-orange-heavy-southwest-stripe-jacquard-3070.html
Ironheart Denim makes flannel and denim over-shirts with hand pockets which inspired this thought but they don't offer the amazing custom sizing options PC does. Since I discovered PC in 2009 I have slowly been replacing all my dress shirts with PC. I would love to do that more with my casual shirts now.

eddiemczee

Reaction score

Would love the option of welted hand pockets for thick shirts such as the eye catching fabric PCF2491. This would be useful for shirt-jackets or over-shirts.
https://propercloth.com/fabrics/navy-and-orange-heavy-southwest-stripe-jacquard-3070.html
Ironheart Denim makes flannel and denim over-shirts with hand pockets which inspired this thought but they don't offer the amazing custom sizing options PC does. Since I discovered PC in 2009 I have slowly been replacing all my dress shirts with PC. I would love to do that more with my casual shirts now.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this when I saw these fabrics.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ok - cool idea - we will explore.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While throwing out ideas, it would be / should be, and easy addition to the collar options to make a bigger button down, 3.75" or 4" collars. The ivy is a bit undersized for big/tall guys. i'd also like to see it with a stiff collar band so it stands prominently open necked under a sport coat.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While throwing out ideas, it would be / should be, and easy addition to the collar options to make a bigger button down, 3.75" or 4" collars. The ivy is a bit undersized for big/tall guys. i'd also like to see it with a stiff collar band so it stands prominently open necked under a sport coat.
+1. PC BD's are a nonstarter for me, and I'd love them with some of the great linen fabrics PC usually has.

cyclemanic

Reaction score

Good idea on a more formal BD. Slightly higher collar bands, 4" leaf, and slightly wider spread :slayer:

Reaction score
Any of y’all have experience with the Airtex fabrics? I’m on a mission to turn my shirting into almost exclusively linen/linen blends, but thought that could make for an interesting change of pace
Curious why all linen/linen blends? Do you overheat frequently or just like the texture?
I live in NYC but occasionally wear linen and linen-cotton blend shirts even in the winter if I like the color or pattern with a specific blazer or tie. I understand some more conservatively minded menswear aficionados might frown on wearing them outside of Spring and Summer though.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

None from PC, but I have an Eidos shirt made in a fabric like this (I think Cellulare was what Antonio called it), and it makes me wonder why even bother with anything else for cool-wearing shirts. Linen has that rumpled charm, and cotton-linen is a nice way to add texture and a bit of that charm without going full-blown linen, but my experience is that this type of fabric is better than both for when you want a cooler-wearing fabric. It doesn't need ironing, really (though a pure white one, I can't say that for sure about), and it's more breathable than madras.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious why all linen/linen blends? Do you overheat frequently or just like the texture?
I live in NYC but occasionally wear linen and linen-cotton blend shirts even in the winter if I like the color or pattern with a specific blazer or tie. I understand some more conservatively minded menswear aficionados might frown on wearing them outside of Spring and Summer though.

I just like linen significantly more than cotton. Breathes much better, and feels far better on the skin for me. Still a place for more formal shirts, but my ratio will skew far more linen heavy. I also don't work in an industry that demands hyper conservative dress, so that helps.

None from PC, but I have an Eidos shirt made in a fabric like this (I think Cellulare was what Antonio called it), and it makes me wonder why even bother with anything else for cool-wearing shirts. Linen has that rumpled charm, and cotton-linen is a nice way to add texture and a bit of that charm without going full-blown linen, but my experience is that this type of fabric is better than both for when you want a cooler-wearing fabric. It doesn't need ironing, really (though a pure white one, I can't say that for sure about), and it's more breathable than madras.
Alas, sold out. Bah. @Seph I'll commit to at least a few Airtex shirts if you bring back the white.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
None from PC, but I have an Eidos shirt made in a fabric like this (I think Cellulare was what Antonio called it), and it makes me wonder why even bother with anything else for cool-wearing shirts.
I don't know if Cellulare is quite the same but the weave of PC's Airtex looks way too open for me; maybe if you're a bronzed, bare chested hunk but on the rest of us primates, it ain't pretty.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Cellulare is quite the same but the weave of PC's Airtex looks way too open for me; maybe if you're a bronzed, bare chested hunk but on the rest of us primates, it ain't pretty.
i'd guess it depends on the pattern. mine is a blue-white stripe. perhaps it hides better? i probably wouldn't do a pure white shirt in the fabric, but any pattern or anything in a light blue or darker would be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads