• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Alright, based on Seph's claims of an upgraded "shrinkage allowance" formula, the website's description of said calculations, I've gone ahead and ordered a couple of winter shirts. I've wanted to order in these fabrics for some time but got such a ridiculous fit on the first try that I've been leary. The japanese low-twist overshirt in particular looks great, and I'll be glad to finally see it happen.

Both fabrics claim "standard shrinkage allowance is applied", and if I understand the site correctly, that means that only the cuff and colar around measurements will be augmented, so the rest of the shirt should fit according to my provided measurements. We'll see how it goes. They should arrive with plenty of cold weather left.

If it works, I'll be making a larger purchase for sure.

Does anyone have any experience with their sportcoats? do they clone existing models?
Yes, I’ve had good fortune with their sport coats. No shrinkage issues there.

Have they updated their shrinkage formula? I continue to be concerned because I have at least seven shirts that are substantially smaller than what I ordered, post wash. But the heavy oxfords and heavy flannels seem to have minimal shrink.

My slate chambray and madras and linen shirts have all shrunk dramatically, so I don’t trust ordering those fabrics again. Not sure on dress shirts.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Alright, based on Seph's claims of an upgraded "shrinkage allowance" formula, the website's description of said calculations, I've gone ahead and ordered a couple of winter shirts. I've wanted to order in these fabrics for some time but got such a ridiculous fit on the first try that I've been leary. The japanese low-twist overshirt in particular looks great, and I'll be glad to finally see it happen.

Both fabrics claim "standard shrinkage allowance is applied", and if I understand the site correctly, that means that only the cuff and colar around measurements will be augmented, so the rest of the shirt should fit according to my provided measurements. We'll see how it goes. They should arrive with plenty of cold weather left.

If it works, I'll be making a larger purchase for sure.

Does anyone have any experience with their sportcoats? do they clone existing models?

Yes - with "standard allowances" applied, the collar around will be increased 0.625" and the sleeve length will be increased 0.5". Still working on an improved system here, but that's what you should expect for those shirts today.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I just received my first formal shirt from Proper Cloth. It has the "rounded French cuffs." I was surprised that it also has a gauntlet button, which seems a bit odd with a formal shirt with French cuffs. The sleeve placket doesn't seem to lie correctly because of it. It's flat against the arm at the top of the placket, but at a right angle to the arm at the cuff.

None of my other formal shirts (MTM from Individualized Shirts) have the gauntlet button. The cuff selection page doesn't specify the gauntlet button in the text or pictures. I don't plan on wearing it with the sleeves rolled up, although I may leave the gauntlet unbuttoned.

Is this common with a French cuff? Is there a way to order it without the button?

The gauntlet button is our standard (regardless of cuff style). We don't currently have a way to specify for that to not be included.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, I’ve had good fortune with their sport coats. No shrinkage issues there.

Have they updated their shrinkage formula? I continue to be concerned because I have at least seven shirts that are substantially smaller than what I ordered, post wash. But the heavy oxfords and heavy flannels seem to have minimal shrink.

My slate chambray and madras and linen shirts have all shrunk dramatically, so I don’t trust ordering those fabrics again. Not sure on dress shirts.

Several months back we made an incremental change to apply a body length adjustment to very high shrinkage fabrics. We also updated the documentation for how things are adjusted here: https://propercloth.com/reference/how-proper-cloth-adjusts-shirt-dimensions-for-shrinkage/.

That said, we still have a more complex update in development. The goal will be to improve accuracy, be clearer about how things are adjusted when they are, and give the customer the ability to turn off all adjustments.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Several months back we made an incremental change to apply a body length adjustment to very high shrinkage fabrics. We also updated the documentation for how things are adjusted here: https://propercloth.com/reference/how-proper-cloth-adjusts-shirt-dimensions-for-shrinkage/.

That said, we still have a more complex update in development. The goal will be to improve accuracy, be clearer about how things are adjusted when they are, and give the customer the ability to turn off all adjustments.
Thanks! So was it the case that until recently the center back length did not get an adjustment, even for high shrinkage fabrics?

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Ordered a few shirts on cyber Monday. Estimated delivery is in January. Kinda hoping that’s inaccurate. Kinda weird since they’re doing the “get your Christmas orders in before X date for pre-Christmas delivery.”

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Ordered a few shirts on cyber Monday. Estimated delivery is in January. Kinda hoping that’s inaccurate. Kinda weird since they’re doing the “get your Christmas orders in before X date for pre-Christmas delivery.”
I find their estimates usually conservative.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten all my recent orders way ahead of the expected dates

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score

As long as we're advised of the change, this sounds great. My only concern would be if a tolerance change was implemented which might be an improvement but would throw off all of us who have our measurements dialed in under the current system.

cuponoodles

Reaction score

One consideration -- there might still be a delay with customs when you order something with MOP buttons, which could account for the increased amount of time.

Cidermonk

Reaction score
I have always purchased my dress shirts from Proper Cloth while ordering my trousers and jackets from Luxire. I have been satisfied with PC's recommendations regarding shirt fit optimization over the years.

I still have some dialing in to do with my trouser and jacket sizing. I was curious how well Proper Cloth performs in regards to recommendations towards optimizing fit for trousers and jackets. I have been happy with Luxire's work thus far in customizing my fit, but I'd rather order from proper cloth due to their wide selection of fabrics. Thoughts greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG-4832.jpg
    IMG-4832.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 179

jujujoo11

Reaction score
I just bought Mayfair wrinkle resistant twill dressshirt, Pinehurst Navy Cotton and Tencel knit jersey and Carmel Black Cotton and Tencel Knit Pique shirt. How much do these Shrink? I'm a bigger guy with big chest and shoulder and used the dimension of a current shirt and adjusted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads