• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stubbsj20

Reaction score
I seem to have BOTH in my collection. All my merino wools and flannels with a french placket have no fusing. However, my cotton ones seem to have fusing
Thank you for looking! The shirt in question is a Thomas Mason WR cotton twill.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Prior to my most recent order, all of my French placket shirts have had fusing like what is shown in the below photo.
View attachment 1838255
My most recent order looks like this:
View attachment 1838257

The determination to include this fusing or not is based on the fabric. Non-Irons, Wrinkle-Resistant, and many broadcloth fabrics are set to have it. What is the fabric name of this recent one without it?

*Oh - I see you said the fabric name already... Seems it should have the fusing. We'll look into it.

stubbsj20

Reaction score
The determination to include this fusing or not is based on the fabric. Non-Irons, Wrinkle-Resistant, and many broadcloth fabrics are set to have it. What is the fabric name of this recent one without it?
Thomas Mason WR Light Blue Twill PCF1331.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Hey folks. I want to get opinions on the beacon flannels- or any PC flannels really. How do they wear tucked? I'm concerned the fabric may be too thick to tuck comfortably, or that it may bunch at the waist or whatnot. Please share your experiences.

edit: I'd also like to know about the Japanese Low-Twist Twills. These in particular seem so heavy that they may only be appropriate for an overshirt?

Last edited:

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seph--will there be any new low-twist fabrics this fall?

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey folks. I want to get opinions on the beacon flannels- or any PC flannels really. How do they wear tucked? I'm concerned the fabric may be too thick to tuck comfortably, or that it may bunch at the waist or whatnot. Please share your experiences.

edit: I'd also like to know about the Japanese Low-Twist Twills. These in particular seem so heavy that they may only be appropriate for an overshirt?

Beacon flannels can be tucked in fine - not too thick for that. Here is look book from last year: https://propercloth.com/collections/beacon-flannels

Low-twists are quite heavy - not generally intended to be dressed up/tucked in. But a bit of a half-tuck in jeans can always work. Lookbook from last year: https://propercloth.com/collections/low-twist

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will the Japanese Hickory and Gold Low Twist Plaid PCF3548 be returning?

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AriG

Reaction score
Ok, I just have to post this here now. And I am hoping to be constructive. I've mentioned before how I'm a customer since 2015 having bought 60-70 shirts by this point. I do not want to switch or stop buying Proper Cloth shirts.

But the measurement issue is becoming quite frustrating. It feels like it's something new every time. I've just taken receipt of three shirts, and the "cuff around" measurement is 1cm shorter on each of the three shirts than on 95% of my other shirts, and certainly all recent ones. Ordered 8" as always, came in 7.65", on all three. That can't be down to tolerance. This is a short and somewhat sensitive measurement. I don't accept that +- 0.25" tolerance (which wasn't even satisfied here) applies the same to the length and the cuff width. If so, it's impossible to adjust for because if it goes 0.35" to the other side (even without changing the 8" measurement), it'll be far too wide. And again, happening on 3 shirts exactly the same, seems to me like it's easy to get it right (or wrong, in this case). It just seems there are batches where some measurements are systematically and unacceptably way too wide or narrow.

Secondly, I ordered the sleeve length 0.1" down from my previous shirt. Comes in 0.3" down compared to the last shirt (which, perhaps, was too wide?). Again, "within tolerance", but on a short and sensitive measurement. And again, it was pretty much true for all three shirts of this order. This and the cuff issue make them unwearable and furthermore, add confusion into my previous measurements. Should I adjust them up now, when I previously believed I needed to adjust them down? Impossible to know and so every order becomes a lottery.

I may being stretching the argument slightly here to make the point (all data is accurate however), but this is costing me more time and frustration than I am hoping right now. I'll just need to return full orders until I get "limited". Not sure when that happens, by this point I've only returned perhaps 5% of my 70 orders, and have probably given another ~15% of shirts to goodwill because it isn't primarily about the money and I do appreciate the issues with manufacturing the way it is done. So I'd love to keep it that way.

Sorry for the lengthy argument, but I would tell you, if you are not hearing increased issues on wrong measurements, most people probably have other sources and just don't bother.

Last point: The Pima oxfords shrink a ton. A TON. On the first wash. I've ordered 4 by this point. Especially in the (mid section) width, but really everywhere. The default adjustment is way small.

Last edited:

Yoda_in_oxfords

Reaction score
Are there any plans to get any more of the Reda burgundy Merino wool (PCF3928)?

Unfortunately I was too slow to pull the trigger on the shirt on my wish list.

XXghostfaceXX

Reaction score

carterneeld

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to make a custom shirt that only has a flap pocket on the left-hand side? I have always appreciated that feature of J Press shirts.

It’s possible to order with two rounded flaps on the site but one is not an option. I feel like this should be an easy enough request.

I emailed customer support but I am not sure if they understood my request.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads