• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's a good collar for wearing a western shirt under a sports coat?

Collar band has to be high enough.

Will there ever be a sawtooth pocket option?

paulraphael

Reaction score
I got my first PC shirt with smoke mother-of-pearl buttons today, and am very happy. I've been bugging @Seph and crew for a couple of years for these—so thank you making them available. I'll probably order them on nearly every darker colored shirt.

Be aware: the photos don't do them justice . In the pics they look like shiny gray plastic, and match well when superimposed over most of the fabrics. If I'd been deciding based on the website photos rather than on older shirts of mine with smoke pearl buttons, I never would have ordered them.

I imagine they're just hard to photograph. They have a bit of translucence and iridescence that changes depending on the angle of the light. It's subtle (they're not as showy as the Australian MOP buttons) but it gives them a kind of depth that just looks good and that can blend with many different fabric colors. I wish we'd had this option earlier.

sforum1

Reaction score
What exactly about the fit of the shirts below makes them look the way they do? Actually all the Ralph Lauren Purple Label shirts worn on the models look amazing and I know it can't be the quality of the shirts, it has more to do with the fit. Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea but I happen to like that look. But I can't put my fingers on it exactly. It's not that it fits slim, you can find a million pictures on the internet with slif-fit shirt but that look is usually very unappealing.

s7-1432098_alternate10

s7-1373153_alternate1

s7-1419237_alternate10

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly about the fit of the shirts below makes them look the way they do? Actually all the Ralph Lauren Purple Label shirts worn on the models look amazing and I know it can't be the quality of the shirts, it has more to do with the fit. Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea but I happen to like that look. But I can't put my fingers on it exactly. It's not that it fits slim, you can find a million pictures on the internet with slif-fit shirt but that look is usually very unappealing.

s7-1432098_alternate10

s7-1373153_alternate1

s7-1419237_alternate10
Be tall and skinny and make sure nobody sees the pinned up backside of the shirt.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

s7-1432098_alternate10

s7-1373153_alternate1

s7-1419237_alternate10
You're asking why clothes from a staged photoshoot look good and are hard to replicate in real life?

sforum1

Reaction score
Be tall and skinny and make sure nobody sees the pinned up backside of the shirt.
I don't think tall and skinny like these guys are is hard to find in real life. Bu their shirts don't look like that. I'm just trying to pinpoint exactly what it is. For example, this guy's shirt from Polo Ralph Lauren, why is it that it doesn't look the same?

s7-1416399_alternate10

Mister GeeGollyGosh

Reaction score
I don't think tall and skinny like these guys are is hard to find in real life. Bu their shirts don't look like that. I'm just trying to pinpoint exactly what it is. For example, this guy's shirt from Polo Ralph Lauren, why is it that it doesn't look the same?

s7-1416399_alternate10

I think the guys above are all wearing high-rise pants, and the guy in this picture is wearing a lower rise which elongates his torso. Plus this is the model they use for their big guys' line so I presume he has a heftier build.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

s7-1416399_alternate10
Because Polo and Purple label have different styles and different target audiences... the polo shirt looks like an oxford, more casual, sleeves rolled up, button down unbuttoned, etc. Purple label is all more formal fabrics, with ties, etc.

DMcG

Reaction score
I think the guys above are all wearing high-rise pants, and the guy in this picture is wearing a lower rise which elongates his torso. Plus this is the model they use for their big guys' line so I presume he has a heftier build.

The higher rise pants was the first thing I noticed about all of those Purple Label pictures. I think that is a very big part of the overall look.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Be aware: the photos don't do them justice . In the pics they look like shiny gray plastic, and match well when superimposed over most of the fabrics.

That's a typo ... should be that in the photos they don't match the fabrics well. In real life they look great with just about any darker fabric.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
What exactly about the fit of the shirts below makes them look the way they do?

It's all about thte waist - As others have said, the high rise pants make a difference here.

To get the waist that clean, they've surely tucked / pinned the shirt in back to get that perfect, no-extra-fabric look. You dont want to wear your shirt that way, trust me. You'll be unable to move at all without the look disappearing, and you'll likely have serious problems with the front buttons when you sit, even if you're model-thin.

It works if the model stands perfectly still for the photo, but it's not sustainable nor realistic to actually wear your clothes that way.

The short answer to your question "what makes them look the way they do" is "photography tricks, for the most part". Please correct me if I'm wrong here.......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads