• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mister GeeGollyGosh

Reaction score
Huh, I guess I have just been on a lucky streak as all of mine have been dead on. That is including one in (i believe it to be) the above-mentioned linen-cotton oxford. I have two more coming soon. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Huh, I guess I have just been on a lucky streak as all of mine have been dead on

Everyone's built differently - PC's block pattern with your measurements might just be your perfect fit. If so, you can now sit back and get perfect-fitting shirts at your convenience! I can do the same, I just have to do it with another company.

Reaction score
Has anyone here used the Wishlist feature on the Proper Cloth website? My wife wanted ideas for an anniversary gift and ended up buying off the wishlist. I was surprised to find out it doesn't link those purchases back to your account. Support told me they could save the sizes on my account, but not the items ordered.

Seems like a gap as now I won't be able to have that order history and I won't get credit in the frequent buyer program.

Would love to see that functionality built in as I now exclusively buy my shirts from Proper Cloth (and have my first trousers on order) and love the product.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why should you get credit in the buyer's rewards if someone else purchased the shirt?

Reaction score
Well, my wife ostensibly bought the shirts for me, through the wishlist link on my account. I guess I could have given her the login information to my account, but she wanted it to be a surprise. I can see the point of view that she should get credit, but in this case, she only visited the site and made a purchase because of me. She didn't design the shirt or create a size. Any credit to her account is wasted as she will never reorder using that account again. I will now have to go into her account to request any needed alterations as well.

cuponoodles

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of pants in. Overall, not bad! Was generally impressed, especially considering I have a very particular fit that's difficult to get right. While I knew I would likely need a remake (and I did), the process was incredibly easy and straightforward and the customer service was spot on. Waiting on my second pair now, but so far I like the process, and once I get my fit dialed in, I can definitely see myself being a repeat customer in the same way I am for shirts. Also thinking of pulling the trigger on the Navy Tropical Fresco tux for a wedding suit, so may be able to report in suit details if/when they can get the pants right.

With that, two quick notes for Seph:
  • The drawstring is way too long on the pants. Untied, the string basically comes down to my knees. I'll likely have to buy another one and replace but wanted to note.
  • (Unrelated) Any chance for black snaps on the shirts? I have a favorite RRL western whose time has come and would love to give PC a chance for a remake, but saw the white and browns snaps as the only options.

paulraphael

Reaction score
My girlfriend has envied my shirts for the last couple of years, so I offered her a PC shirt for Christmas. Back before the pandemic. We've waited until the showrooms were open again, because we wanted to get her measured properly. She had a great experience. All fears of PC being a (literal) boy's club were put to rest, when we were greeted by two women salespeople, both looking sharp in PC shirts. They spent a lot of time with her, measuring and discussing fit and options. Unfortunately the fabric she liked most was a washed denim, so she'll have to wait til November for it to show up. Will keep you posted.

PC shouldn't be so shy about this. The Rugged He-Man branding feels really dated.

On another note, I was thrilled to see that PC finally has smoked mother-of-pearl buttons.

Last edited:

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend has envied my shirts for the last couple of years, so I told her I get her a PC shirt for Christmas. Back before the pandemic. We've waited until the showrooms were open again, because we wanted to get her measured properly. She had a great experience. All fears of PC being a (literal) boy's club were put to rest, when we were greeted by two women salespeople, both looking sharp in PC shirts. They spent a lot of time with her, measuring and discussing fit and options. Unfortunately the fabric she liked most was a washed denim, so she'll have to wait til November for it to show up. Will keep you posted.

PC shouldn't be so shy about this. The Rugged He-Man branding feels really dated.

On another note, I was thrilled to see that PC finally has smoked mother-of-pearl buttons.

I convinced my wife to have a shirt made once. I thought it came out well but she couldn't get bask the buttons being the opposite side from what she is used to on a women's shirt. It would be nice if reversing those became an option. Other online shirtmakers offer that option.

TonyStarks

Reaction score
Thoughts on fit? Interesting as this is in a 36, and my standard is a 38. Lovely coat, a little lighter than I would have expected after looking at it online.
918D23D7-ED5B-41F3-A508-C3687EAFF752.jpeg

OzWino

Reaction score
I noticed on the website that there are a few ways to capture trouser measurements. What approach have people used to get the best fit?

What's the difference between dress pants measurements and casual pants?

Always happy to learn from others experiences.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full length mirror selfie, not the best lighting, but there it is.

I don't think it's too big. But I made this to wear under a jacket. I think if I were after something I could wear as a legit polo shirt, plus under a jacket, I'd do the 2-button polo placket with a smaller spread collar.

Maybe lol. My heart of hearts is telling me I'd be disappointed with anything smaller. But this is kind of my schtick.

View attachment 1662447
How nicely does the collar stand?

I've had multiple soft ivy BD shirts, but the collar collapses on itself on the softer shirts.

I wonder if it's necessary to go for the "stand up placket" option.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on fit? Interesting as this is in a 36, and my standard is a 38. Lovely coat, a little lighter than I would have expected after looking at it online. View attachment 1694250
Depends on what you're looking for IMO.

Balmacaan's and other raglan coats aren't precisely tailored coats. Mine is massive and baggy.

Yours is slim and a straighter silhouette. If that was your goal, then mission accomplished. If you don't plan on wearing this over suits or sports coats, it should work. Otherwise, it may be too tight.

I was looking at a similiar Bal by John Lewis before.

c0d5c3bb2c91ca40d63168c835f1178a.jpg

bantone

Reaction score
So Proper Cloth is doing custom denim now? Damn. PC is killing the game. May have to try it out but dialing down my size will be a bit tedious.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How nicely does the collar stand?

I've had multiple soft ivy BD shirts, but the collar collapses on itself on the softer shirts.

I wonder if it's necessary to go for the "stand up placket" option.
Stands up great. This predates the stand-up placket option. But again it's not the knit fabric so that might make a difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads