• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a collar style that will work with the polo fabrics and will result in a soft roll like this? Not looking for something with a button-down construction, but something that will stand up and have a tiny bit of roll when worn with a tailored jacket:

View attachment 1652453
the 'soft' versions of most of them will do this.
i did just such a shirt, albeit not in one of their knits (those hadn't been launched yet) with a soft roma cutaway (my default collar there) and it basically does this. might have a pic around here somewhere…

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the 'soft' versions of most of them will do this.
i did just such a shirt, albeit not in one of their knits (those hadn't been launched yet) with a soft roma cutaway (my default collar there) and it basically does this. might have a pic around here somewhere…

Thanks! Grenache noted earlier that the Soft Roma might be a pretty tall collar for a polo. Do you have any feelings about this?

I noticed online that Proper Cloth usually styles their polos with either the Soft Ivy or the Soft English Spread. Wondering if that's because the Soft Roma might be too big of a collar for a polo?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Grenache noted earlier that the Soft Roma might be a pretty tall collar for a polo. Do you have any feelings about this?

I noticed online that Proper Cloth usually styles their polos with either the Soft Ivy or the Soft English Spread. Wondering if that's because the Soft Roma might be too big of a collar for a polo?

Full length mirror selfie, not the best lighting, but there it is.

I don't think it's too big. But I made this to wear under a jacket. I think if I were after something I could wear as a legit polo shirt, plus under a jacket, I'd do the 2-button polo placket with a smaller spread collar.

Maybe lol. My heart of hearts is telling me I'd be disappointed with anything smaller. But this is kind of my schtick.

IMG_0333.jpeg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

D, I THINK your aesthetic preferences might lean to favor the Soft Ivy, BUT, for whatever it's worth, I don't consider the Soft Roma too big at all. Two caveats are that I'm only speaking to my experiences with the Roma Cutaway (which I believe are the exact same dimensions) and that my preferences may lean a tad more aggressive than yours. In my experiences, I've actually found the Roma Cutaway to feel a bit small. I do believe they actually slightly downsized some years back.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I’m considering a proper cloth sport coat. Does anyone know if the button stance alters between different models? The pictures on models on the website show a wide variation of placements, but I don’t know if there is something I can do to maximise how low it is (which is what I need). I wondered if it makes a difference to button placement if I get to my preferred length (30.7") by lengthening a regular standard size or shortening a long.

Also looking at pants. The standard sizes seem to indicate that they are very wide around the hips (e.g. size 34 measures 22.2 or 22.8" across the hips depending on style). I would try to reduce this to something like 21.5" which is more like a standard measurement for my RTW size 34 dress pants, but is there is some peculiarity to the sizing that would make this unwise? The hip size on the standard PC 34 is more like I would expect from a roomy size 36 or a 38

Last edited:

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered a softer flannel from PC? Mine was off by a mile even after washing it. The measurements of the shirt after washing were significantly larger than what's listed in my order description.....is that a shrinkage allowance for flannel, or is there some other problem?

The chest is about 6" too big around and the waist is about 7" too big around, but the sleeves, collar, and shoulders are great. The CS rep suggested washing it a few more times, which I can't imagine would fix this problem.

Anyone have any experience with their flannels?

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which flannel, exactly? They have dozens by different makers. Having said that, I have run into sizing issues before with fabrics for which they add a greater than normal shrinkage allowance. I had one shirt that they told me to wash several times, then to wash in hot water and dry at high temperature. This made the seams pucker, but did nothing to the sizing problem. A raw denim shirt wouldn't shrink 6" in the chest. No amount of washing will fix that kind of problem.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
This is the issue with low level customer service which has canned answers for common questions. Someone saw your complaint, and thought it fit into the "my shirt is too big" box, and gave the prepared response of "wash it a few more times," without paying attention to the extent to which you were claiming it was oversized.

90% of the time that answer would be sufficient, but stuff like this is where that method has some blind spots.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
* edited to be nicer

Which flannel, exactly? They have dozens by different makers.

I went for a nicer one fromn Grandi and Rubinelli (https://propercloth.com/design-a-shirt/?shirtID=1580076). It's a cozy, buttery-soft fabric with a unique coloration for flannel. I dig the fabric itself.

had one shirt that they told me to wash several times, then to wash in hot water and dry at high temperature. This made the seams pucker, but did nothing to the sizing problem. A raw denim shirt wouldn't shrink 6" in the chest. No amount of washing will fix that kind of problem.

My experience with this shirt was exactly the same. Maybe they have a problem with their shrinkage allowance on certain fabrics. To their credit, though, they did issue me a refund as promised. I'm a little bummed that it didn't work out.

paulraphael

Reaction score
I have a few Canclini flannel shirts that have been perfect, but one of them (one of the larger herringbone patterns, if that makes a difference) was too big, and I put it in a dryer on low to shrink it. This worked, but the fabric isn't as soft and nice anymore.

I'd be curious to hear people's impressions of how the Canclini flannels compare with the other Italian ones (G&R, Albini, Thomas Mason).

cuponoodles

Reaction score
I have a few Canclini flannel shirts that have been perfect, but one of them (one of the larger herringbone patterns, if that makes a difference) was too big, and I put it in a dryer on low to shrink it. This worked, but the fabric isn't as soft and nice anymore.

I'd be curious to hear people's impressions of how the Canclini flannels compare with the other Italian ones (G&R, Albini, Thomas Mason).

Interesting. I've liked the Canclini flannels. I have the opposite impression of Thomas Mason -- most overrated fabric mill in the world. I find the fabrics just don't last long and aren't worth the pricepoint given their low durability. I also haven't loved the Albini fabrics I've gotten (most haven't been flannels, though). Can't comment on G&R.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads