• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise how much the Baird linens shrink with a cold wash? Kind of nervous to order since the shrinkage seems to vary so much between fabrics

grenache

Reaction score
Can anyone advise how much the Baird linens shrink with a cold wash? Kind of nervous to order since the shrinkage seems to vary so much between fabrics

I have two shirts in the Baird linen and did not notice any extreme shrinkage after cold wash, hang dry. I’d note that I did make these a bit looser than my normal size as I had them made up as casual shirts to be worn untucked so I could’ve missed it. Sleeve length arrived a bit long as PC intended, but was right on after the first wash.

grenache

Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues where shirts are coming in at measurements way off the saved size? I just ordered a madras and the waist is 0.75” off on the half measure after washing. I get tolerance but 1.5” of excess fabric just seems, well, excessive. I had the same issue with a previous order they had to remake.

No, I have ~50 shirts now in a wide variety of fabrics and never experienced this. There’s definitely a shirt here or there that fit slightly different/off in a way I can’t really identify, but 90+% of the time the shirts are on spec and fit as expected.

One time I did get a shirt that shrunk more than expected and PC was very responsive in offering a refund after I made them aware of the issue.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues where shirts are coming in at measurements way off the saved size? I just ordered a madras and the waist is 0.75” off on the half measure after washing. I get tolerance but 1.5” of excess fabric just seems, well, excessive. I had the same issue with a previous order they had to remake.
I had exactly the same issue. All measures were in line with spec plus tolerance but the waist/midsection was also about 0.75" too big on the half measure after washing.

LVEsq

Reaction score
New poster - but have been lurking for many years now. Just ordered my very first shirt from PC - and I am very excited about it. I still have to wear shirts and ties to work (my field is a dinosaur and it is unlikely to change in the future), so I am always on a hunt for dress shirts. I have had a few custom shirts, but mostly get Turnbull, Hawes and CT stuff for daily wear. I have come across a Norwegian brand - Dandy & Sons - and they have some interesting wide-open cut away stuff.

The PC shirt I ordered has the Milano color - which I am excited about because I can fit a bigger tie knot.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue. All measures were in line with spec plus tolerance but the waist/midsection was also about 0.75" too big on the half measure after washing.

We actually add 0.5" to the half-width measurement of chest/midsection/bottom widths by default. If you're seeing this consistently then that's likely what that is.

never_behind

Reaction score
No, I have ~50 shirts now in a wide variety of fabrics and never experienced this. There’s definitely a shirt here or there that fit slightly different/off in a way I can’t really identify, but 90+% of the time the shirts are on spec and fit as expected.

One time I did get a shirt that shrunk more than expected and PC was very responsive in offering a refund after I made them aware of the issue.
I am probably only around 20 shirts or so. Never had this issue until the last couple of orders. They responded they have a flat 0.5” shrinkage allowance in the waist but I’ve already washed the shirt twice and everything is fine but the waist. I’m stumped.

never_behind

Reaction score
We actually add 0.5" to the half-width measurement of chest/midsection/bottom widths by default. If you're seeing this consistently then that's likely what that is.
Wouldn’t it be consistent across all those measurements? What I am finding is the chest is on target but the waist is too big after multiple washes. Seems like they’d be consistently on target or both too big.

Aloysius16

Reaction score

sure, I took that into account.When the shirt arrived the midsection was about 1" bigger on the half measure, whereas the chest and bottom were 0.5" bigger in line with the tolerance. Seems like the same issue that Never_Behind reports.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be consistent across all those measurements? What I am finding is the chest is on target but the waist is too big after multiple washes. Seems like they’d be consistently on target or both too big.

Yeah - I agree that would make sense... Fabrics can be tricky though - many variables. And these Indian madras ones are definitely on the artisanal side of the spectrum where things can become more unpredictable.

One other thing we've seen related to this midsection width issue is that, as some fabrics stretch more than others, depending how they are laundered/pressed, if the shirt is aggressively spread out while wet, and then ironed with tension on the shirt, it can cause the fabric to stay wider after it dries.

Are you having those madras shirts washed/pressed by a cleaner? Or are you washing at home and letting them air-dry on a hanger? Are they being ironed at all?

never_behind

Reaction score
Yeah - I agree that would make sense... Fabrics can be tricky though - many variables. And these Indian madras ones are definitely on the artisanal side of the spectrum where things can become more unpredictable.

One other thing we've seen related to this midsection width issue is that, as some fabrics stretch more than others, depending how they are laundered/pressed, if the shirt is aggressively spread out while wet, and then ironed with tension on the shirt, it can cause the fabric to stay wider after it dries.

Are you having those madras shirts washed/pressed by a cleaner? Or are you washing at home and letting them air-dry on a hanger? Are they being ironed at all?
Cold wash at home with air dry. I did give it a light press. I have two other madras that I’ve treated the same and the waist is perfect. I did have the same issue with too big a waist on an OCBD and cotton/linen blend.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a collar style that will work with the polo fabrics and will result in a soft roll like this? Not looking for something with a button-down construction, but something that will stand up and have a tiny bit of roll when worn with a tailored jacket:

collar_friday_polo._2000x2000.jpg

Last edited:

grenache

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a collar style that will work with the polo fabrics and will result in a soft roll like this? Not looking for something with a button-down construction, but something that will stand up and have a tiny bit of roll when worn with a tailored jacket:

View attachment 1652453
Maybe the Soft Roma Spread, pretty tall collar though.

LVEsq

Reaction score
I am new to the thread - but I wanted to say that I love Proper Cloth. I placed an initial Order a month ago, playing with the options for the color and fabrics - and I did a "smart size" estimate, thinking that I will need to change a few things and tweak sizes. Well, to my astonishment, the size was perfect in every possible way. The fabric, the cut, the details - all amazing. I ordered a Milano two-button tall collar - which I have never worn, but I love it and I think it looks great with the way I tie my knot.

So I just ordered 5 more shirts. I use dress shirts for work, and am very particular in what I like. I always get white collar/white cuffs. So my order is going to be fairly standard - White Milano Collar · White French Cuff · Standard Front Placket · Split Yoke · Rounded Hem · Roma Buttons · The only difference will be the fabric used on the body of the shirt.

Very happy to get away from ordering Hawes & Curtis or TM Lewin/CH, etc. and always hunt for my size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads