• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many, many factors can be at play here. Fabric, collar style, fit of the collar (neck size and posture setting), and if you're wearing it with/without a jacket.

The new "President Spread 3" collar does change the shape and construction slightly - and we've found it helps with this particular issue.
If I have trouble with the ‘Soft Ivy BD’, should I try the ‘Button Down 2’ - maybe more stiffness would help?

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If I have trouble with the ‘Soft Ivy BD’, should I try the ‘Button Down 2’ - maybe more stiffness would help?

Possibly, but I'm not sure - Soft Ivy generally stands up fine since it's a button down. Would need to better understand how it's "collapsing".

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
The new "President Spread 3" collar does change the shape and construction slightly - and we've found it helps with this particular issue.

I enjoyed the original version which had 3/8" tie space, then it got revised to 1/4"

Returning to the original spec there would be an improvement and more true to the English style on which it is based

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I enjoyed the original version which had 3/8" tie space, then it got revised to 1/4"

Returning to the original spec there would be an improvement and more true to the English style on which it is based

Interesting. That part is not changing for President Spread 3. Personally I prefer the smaller 1/4" space. English Spread will continue to be 3/8" tie space - but of course you know that has the shorter point lengths.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
well, the best would be to be able to get that English collar with its 3/8" tie space, shorter points, and the President-style taller collar band. I know we're splitting hairs at this point but that would get my vote.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Have been enticed to get more PC shirts many times over but have haven't specifically because of this.

Do you have any photos that are actually of yourself? There are tons of idiosyncrasies of fit that could cause this and it's impossible to judge from reading text or looking at stock photos.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have any photos that are actually of yourself? There are tons of idiosyncrasies of fit that could cause this and it's impossible to judge from reading text or looking at stock photos.
Unfortunately, with PC shirts, I do not. They've long since been passed to charity. Would have been happy to provide some at the time, but alas.

That said, while I'm not disagreeing with you that the cause may be one and/or many minutiae, it baffles me that all my better Italian OTR shirts - Mazzarelli, Inglese, Finamore, Borriello most notably - don't have that problem at all. And, again, seemingly regardless of fabric, placket or not, collar dimensions, etc. Granted, I understand those makers are producing shirts at a different level - but it can be done for me from a range of makers, OTR, without super special considerations.

Again - like I said repeatedly in my previous post links above - not knocking PC; I just wish there was a known remedy/fix that gave me enough confidence to roll the dice again.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with PC shirts, I do not. They've long since been passed to charity. Would have been happy to provide some at the time, but alas.

That said, while I'm not disagreeing with you that the cause may be one and/or many minutiae, it baffles me that all my better Italian OTR shirts - Mazzarelli, Inglese, Finamore, Borriello most notably - don't have that problem at all. And, again, seemingly regardless of fabric, placket or not, collar dimensions, etc. Granted, I understand those makers are producing shirts at a different level - but it can be done for me from a range of makers, OTR, without super special considerations.

Again - like I said repeatedly in my previous post links above - not knocking PC; I just wish there was a known remedy/fix that gave me enough confidence to roll the dice again.

So I am one of several customers in this thread who will regularly throw out a request or voice their wish list so I get the desire to resolve this issue but I think PC are gonna have a tough time figuring it out without even a photo to show what’s going on. I suspect there’s some element of neck adjustment and collar selection that will either “cause” or “fix” this problem for you but currently we’d just be speculating without some evidence to look at. Certainly this is not happening for everyone.

Here’s a recent photo of myself for example. This is the President 2 collar. I think it stands up well enough, though I can also say it does even better if you raise the top button an inch:

7376E436-09EB-4024-B237-518DD56616D1.jpeg

Pb924

Reaction score
Not really sure to improve the fit of that collar @StanleyVanBuren great fit! I have also found success raising the top button, but honestly I have become less obsessive about the “perfect fit” and started focusing more on interesting fabrics and styles. If it fits, it fits. Carry on

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So I am one of several customers in this thread who will regularly throw out a request or voice their wish list so I get the desire to resolve this issue but I think PC are gonna have a tough time figuring it out without even a photo to show what’s going on. I suspect there’s some element of neck adjustment and collar selection that will either “cause” or “fix” this problem for you but currently we’d just be speculating without some evidence to look at. Certainly this is not happening for everyone.

Here’s a recent photo of myself for example. This is the President 2 collar. I think it stands up well enough, though I can also say it does even better if you raise the top button an inch:

View attachment 1596522

Nice. Hope to see the President Spread 3 on you soon. Should be even better.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1596522
I think the desire is for the top two buttons to be open and still have the whole thing stand

paulraphael

Reaction score
Ever since PC has changed the shirt body length algorithm, I've had an impossible time getting fits right. I care about hem length, especially in the front, because 90% of the time I wear the shirts untucked. I can no longer get the hem lengths accurate. Often they're off by over an inch. Which seems crazy for a company that's now advertising 0.1" precision.

I understand what PC says about the new sizing; I see the measurements in the form; I've confirmed with 3 different people (including Seph) that they don't compensate for shrinkage in the length—which is also crazy, but that's another topic.

Every shirt I've ordered since the change has been longer than I requested in the front, with the exception of one square-hemmed short-sleeve shirt. I'd compensate, except the differences are all over the map, ranging from 1/4" to 1-1/2".

I'm no loner comfortable ordering a shirt. I have 20 PC shirts, and felt very much in control of the process, and now it just feels like gambling. I have a $100 credit with company, thanks to buying so many shirts, and I don't feel comfortable cashing in, because I have no idea what I'm going to get. No one I've written to at the company has indicated that they have any idea what I'm talking about.

@Seph, please help. I want to keep giving you my business but I'm stuck. The last shirt I ordered is a total loss and I don't wish to repeat.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Here’s today. Collar is soft president cutaway, fabric is the performance knit. I often see fusing as the suggestion to get the collar to stay standing but this has no fusing anywhere:

99903B13-F260-4CF2-9074-A9CD071BA3C5.jpeg

I credit the wide spread of the collar here because the points don’t compete with the jacket lapels for real estate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads