• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Portuguese cotton-linen is really nice if youre okay with a blend.
Totally agreed. Like them quite a bit. I'm going to load up on some in the coming months. They run quite a bit warmer to me than the Baird linens, so those will be intended more as a cooler weather shirt, for me.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Totally agreed. Like them quite a bit. I'm going to load up on some in the coming months. They run quite a bit warmer to me than the Baird linens, so those will be intended more as a cooler weather shirt, for me.
Yeah- the pure linen is a bit too see through for me, why I prefer the blend

Last edited:

drgentle

Reaction score
Speaking of striped linens and linen-cottons, it'd be good if the stripe widths could be more middle-of-the-road (say, 3-4cm) where they still make a visual impact without being overly "loud". Personally feel that pencil stripes kinda miss the point, whereas the wide and extra-wide stripes currently offered are too trendy to have longevity.

Also, hoping the Baird McNutt linen range will be expanded -- excellent price-to-quality ratio :)

I know this is an older post but would someone (or the OP) be willing to elaborate why the wide stripes could be too trendy to have longevity? I was about to pull the trigger on the PC MTM cotton-linen oxford shirt - I think there's currently two options offered - wide and extra-wide stripes. While the extra-wide is too wide for me as well, wide stripes are very appealing to me and I love the look.

leadbelly2550

Reaction score
Stitching on the whole leaving quite a bit to be desired relative to their previous work, occasional orders arriving with inadequately stitched/fraying cuffs, etc.

There's nothing so egregious that would push me to go through the return process, but it is (if only from my experience) a distinct step down from previous QA standards from PC.
I have never had an issue with their quality control, but their shirts wear so well that I haven't purchased one in at least three years. Also, I occasionally buy from (gasp) competitors.

Reactions: EZB

cyclemanic

Reaction score
I know this is an older post but would someone (or the OP) be willing to elaborate why the wide stripes could be too trendy to have longevity? I was about to pull the trigger on the PC MTM cotton-linen oxford shirt - I think there's currently two options offered - wide and extra-wide stripes. While the extra-wide is too wide for me as well, wide stripes are very appealing to me and I love the look.

Thanks for the question – it did make me reassess my stance and flesh it out further for myself. Here’s my current thoughts:

There’s nothing inherent about wide striped shirts that make it more or less timeless – after all, it’s just a particular scale of a particular pattern. When I used the term longevity, it’s therefore with reference to the trends the broader fashion industry is pushing in a cyclical manner to keep the cogs going, as it were. Any type of ‘sartorial extreme’ – be it pattern, colour, or cut – will likely be on the chopping block given enough time, and if one makes clothing choices that subscribe to them, one will probably be out of sync eventually (until it rolls around 20 years later again).

In contrast, I suppose it’s harder for the industry to peddle trends for normal, middle-of-the-road clothing – regularly cut t-shirts, navy sportcoats, and maybe moderate width stripes too. Such clothes largely exist outside of trends, I feel. However, all of this presupposes that there is a reference point for what ‘normal’ or ‘moderate’ is, and this is something I’ve not satisfactorily reconciled yet.

On the other hand, there’s little reason why something at the fringe can’t have staying power at the individual level. If a particular choice is enjoyed by someone and the scope of discussion doesn’t extend beyond that, then this notion of longevity that is pegged to external forces can be thrown out the window. As a personal anecdote, for almost 20 years I’ve been a fan of heavy metal music, a genre that has never attained mainstream status and likely never will, and for what it’s worth, my liking of it probably won’t wane in the next 20 – I just really like it.

Enjoy your wide stripe cotton-linens :cheers:

cyclemanic

Reaction score
@Seph Hey Seph, noticed a few new collars, but also that the Milano button-down collar some of us were discussing recently is now gone. Is a new version of it coming back soon?

GrahamM

Reaction score
Gents,

Just had the second make of my first ever shirt at Proper Cloth sent to me and got a question to ask about what is realistic to expect in terms of fit. I know photos would help, but not at the moment.

So, I've arm length, chest width and shoulder width look great. But, and this is with all my off-the-rack shirts too...I have little "wings" where the sleeve meets the body at the back of the armhole. I looked at a few colleagues shirts at work today and they all have them too. Looks to me like the material is split too heavily in favour of the proportion of material in the back of the shirt vs that in the front, if that makes sense? Is there any change that can be done to minimise these or is it just hard luck and have to accept them?

I have contacted Proper Cloth but as it's a second make maybe I have to try with another shirt/pay again?

Cheers

Graham

chatelet

Reaction score
Gents,

Just had the second make of my first ever shirt at Proper Cloth sent to me and got a question to ask about what is realistic to expect in terms of fit. I know photos would help, but not at the moment.

So, I've arm length, chest width and shoulder width look great. But, and this is with all my off-the-rack shirts too...I have little "wings" where the sleeve meets the body at the back of the armhole. I looked at a few colleagues shirts at work today and they all have them too. Looks to me like the material is split too heavily in favour of the proportion of material in the back of the shirt vs that in the front, if that makes sense? Is there any change that can be done to minimise these or is it just hard luck and have to accept them?

I have contacted Proper Cloth but as it's a second make maybe I have to try with another shirt/pay again?

Cheers

Graham
I found this issue to be reduced by using the new ‘very tailored’ armhole. I had previously used ‘tailored’.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did anyone ever figure out the solution to the 'shirt collar collapsing on itself' issue? (not standing up straight on its own)

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gents,

Cheers

Graham

The new Very Tailored Armpit fit does reduce this slightly. If you remove this fabric completely though you will lose your ability to reach forward comfortably.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Did anyone ever figure out the solution to the 'shirt collar collapsing on itself' issue? (not standing up straight on its own)

Many, many factors can be at play here. Fabric, collar style, fit of the collar (neck size and posture setting), and if you're wearing it with/without a jacket.

The new "President Spread 3" collar does change the shape and construction slightly - and we've found it helps with this particular issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads