• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

db123456

Reaction score
I didn't get the idea of safari pockets on a shirt until the fall 2020 lookbook came out. Jesus, that looks good.
View attachment 1460657
How do you guys feel about the spread collar on this shirt? I was considering a similar shirt in this fabric (though with utility pockets rather than safari pockets). Having trouble deciding between the various soft spread collars and the soft point collar.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about the spread collar on this shirt? I was considering a similar shirt in this fabric (though with utility pockets rather than safari pockets). Having trouble deciding between the various soft spread collars and the soft point collar.
I’m a big fan of the soft president cutaway for casual shirts.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the soft president cutaway for casual shirts.
+1. It's very flattering. I think it's a bit puny for what I'd want in a "dress" shirt, but it is a great casual option.

Speaking of, I'd love a beefier (taller band, longer points, etc.) version of the soft president cutaway.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

paulraphael

Reaction score

bantone

Reaction score
I've been eying this fabric for the past few months and it's finally available. I'm looking forward to it!

I haven't tried Proper Cloth in about 5 years so I'm curious about the result of my own personal sartorial knowledge developing and how they have improved over the years.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm a bit interested in that collar. How well do the soft collars with the taller bands stand up when you're wearing them unbuttoned and without a jacket? I have some problems with softer collars and lighter fabrics getting floppy, especially with a French front.

That could depend on a lot of factors - your fit, posture, etc - and the fabric selected. But for folks looking for a soft collar slightly larger than the Soft President Spread, the Soft Roma Spread is exactly that.

rjkabk

Reaction score
I've been eying this fabric for the past few months and it's finally available. I'm looking forward to it!

I haven't tried Proper Cloth in about 5 years so I'm curious about the result of my own personal sartorial knowledge developing and how they have improved over the years.

I have recently tried Ratio Clothing, Deo Veritas, and Proper Cloth, and I have decided to use Proper Cloth going forward. First off, their fabrics are better. Some people think the names brand mills are overrated, I don't. I wanted to like Ratio, being Made in America, but I got a shirt where the button on the collar and the ones down the placket were smaller than any I have ever had before, and would come unbuttoned, and the material, which was wrinkle resistant was awful feeling. I like Thomas Mason WR line that Proper cloth carries, it feels much closer to non treated cotton dress shirts. Deo Veritas, also got a WR from them, and even though it was described as a dress twill, it was very thick, and felt like an OCBD more than a dress shirt. Other than that I like Deo Veritas. I know my measurements so the fit was good with all makers.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have recently tried Ratio Clothing, Deo Veritas, and Proper Cloth, and I have decided to use Proper Cloth going forward. First off, their fabrics are better. Some people think the names brand mills are overrated, I don't. I wanted to like Ratio, being Made in America, but I got a shirt where the button on the collar and the ones down the placket were smaller than any I have ever had before, and would come unbuttoned, and the material, which was wrinkle resistant was awful feeling. I like Thomas Mason WR line that Proper cloth carries, it feels much closer to non treated cotton dress shirts. Deo Veritas, also got a WR from them, and even though it was described as a dress twill, it was very thick, and felt like an OCBD more than a dress shirt. Other than that I like Deo Veritas. I know my measurements so the fit was good with all makers.
I'm trying out both Ratio and Proper Cloth for my OCBDs.

The base Oxford cloth is slightly different, but both are really good. Ratio's feels a bit more soft, thinner, and stretchy, I've never felt that before.

Though I'm curious to the operation side. Proper Cloth somehow makes all my shirts in a week in Vietnam, and then another week to get to the middle of nowhere Canada.

Ratio takes a month or two and they're based in the USA.

I've no idea how that works.

feb112020

Reaction score
Hi friends. I just got a remake of my first Proper Cloth shirt. It's an untucked casual linen shirt. I want a more relaxed look but still polished. Think southern Italy or Naples during the summer. I'm curious to get folk's feedback on changes. I'm 6ft 190lb with long arms. Thanks!

L1020167.jpg L1020169.jpg L1020170.jpg L1020171.jpg L1020172.jpg L1020173.jpg L1020174.jpg L1020175.jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 5.25.11 PM.png

paulraphael

Reaction score
Hi friends. I just got a remake of my first Proper Cloth shirt. It's an untucked casual linen shirt. I want a more relaxed look but still polished. Think southern Italy or Naples during the summer. I'm curious to get folk's feedback on changes. I'm 6ft 190lb with long arms. Thanks!

This is really just personal preference, but I like my untucked shirts a little shorter in the body. I aim for 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down the fly in the front, and about halfway down the butt cheeks in back. This shirt is at least a couple of inches longer than that, more like a traditional dress shirt length.

You can try pinning it up at different lengths and seeing what you prefer. Make sure you use a full length mirror and the kinds of pants and shoes you wear when judging... full body proportions are important here.

I've found this a tough measurement to get right consistently, because PC does not account for shirt length with their shrinkage algorithms (why, @Seph, why??).

When PC overshoots, I have a tailor shorten the hem. Annoying but I find it worth it.

roostertailedcow

Reaction score
With temperature goes down to 10C/50F outside and 20/68F inside, I can again enjoy my PC OCBD. Enjoy your week-end!

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really just personal preference, but I like my untucked shirts a little shorter in the body. I aim for 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down the fly in the front, and about halfway down the butt cheeks in back. This shirt is at least a couple of inches longer than that, more like a traditional dress shirt length.

You can try pinning it up at different lengths and seeing what you prefer. Make sure you use a full length mirror and the kinds of pants and shoes you wear when judging... full body proportions are important here.

I've found this a tough measurement to get right consistently, because PC does not account for shirt length with their shrinkage algorithms (why, @Seph, why??).

When PC overshoots, I have a tailor shorten the hem. Annoying but I find it worth it.
Good advice, but also avoid overthinking the length of a shirt you're going to wear in an untucked, dgaf way.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads