• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

paulraphael

Reaction score
PC says they compensate for shrinkage in the sleeves and collar (not sure where else) but not in the overall length. If yours shrunk in the sleeves from cold water washing, maybe they did a bad job predicting the shrinkage of that fabric.

Sammm

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, the Japanese indigo slub chambray shrunk as expected for me. I mostly have oxfords to compare to. It’s a gorgeous fabric.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, the Japanese indigo slub chambray shrunk as expected for me. I mostly have oxfords to compare to. It’s a gorgeous fabric.
Thanks for adding your shrinkage experience; this crowdsourcing is helpful. And yes, that slub texture sets it apart from the chambray that everybody and his dog is wearing.

@FlyingHorker — don’t even worry about shrinkage if this is your first shirt. After you wash it you can share pictures with PC to dial in your measurements for the complementary re-make.

Last edited:

paulraphael

Reaction score
Thanks for adding your shrinkage experience; this crowdsourcing is helpful. And yes, that slub texture sets it apart from the chambray that everybody and his dog is wearing.

@FlyingHorker — don’t even worry about shrinkage if this is your first shirt. After you wash it you can share pictures with PC to dial in your measurements for the complementary re-make.

I have the regular Japanese chambray, not the slub chambray. Not sure if shrinkage will be similar. The regular Is not lacking slub.

db123456

Reaction score
I've been playing around with a short-sleeve size and noticed that I can't get the sleeve length to go below 8.4 inches. Is that a hard limitation in the system? It's about 1.5 inches longer than my best-fitting short-sleeve shirt, so I'm a little puzzled.

cyclemanic

Reaction score
Also -- can anyone comment on the difference between the Grandi and Rubinelli Washed White Linen and the Baird McNutt White Irish Linen? Any sense of what might work better with a very casual design (i.e., short sleeves, camp collar)? I assume that the Thomas Mason white linen would be appropriate for a dress shirt, but I'm having trouble distinguishing between these other two options.

I have the Baird McNutt linen in Olive but not the G&R.

Going by the typical understanding of Italian and English fabrics, the G&R should be lighter and thinner in feel, and this is supported by PC's wrinkle-resistance rating of 1/5 for the G&R and 2/5 for the Baird McNutt (my Baird McNutt does feel slightly thicker than a standard Uniqlo linen). I think either would work well for the casual design you have in mind.

As for a dress shirt, I doubt the Thomas Mason would be any better of a choice -- it is linen after all, and would wrinkle in a way that may not be suitable for that purpose.

db123456

Reaction score
As for a dress shirt, I doubt the Thomas Mason would be any better of a choice -- it is linen after all, and would wrinkle in a way that may not be suitable for that purpose.

Thank you. As for the TM fabric, I just figured that -- of the three choices -- it would be the most suited to a dressier shirt. Something like the picture below. But maybe that's wrong, and in any event the fabric would still make it rather casual by comparison to cotton dress shirts.

linen-suit-style-fashion-.jpg

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate it! I took a shot on the dark and already purchased it, but I’m glad I did now!
Yep no problem. Since these shirts were made they change the collar dimensions slightly and made it worse, IMO. But, I'm fairly certain most non-dorks wouldn't notice or care. It was something like 1/8" shorter in point length and 1/16" shorter in band height, plus adding a lightweight lining to the band (which had none before). So, very subtle changes.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Thank you. As for the TM fabric, I just figured that -- of the three choices -- it would be the most suited to a dressier shirt.

I have a shirt in Thomas Mason "comfort linen," which may not be available anymore. It's definitely a dressier option than my Baird McNutt, DiSondrio, and Albiate linens. It has more sheen and just looks more elevated. Probably not right for a real dress shirt, but dressier than the other options. I can't compare to any of the other TM linens.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well damn, I think they nailed it first try, I'm shocked. The collar roll on soft ivy is absolutely perfect, and I love the wider placket I went for.

I haven't washed the shirt yet, but based on how I expect it to shrink and the comments ITT, it should be good.

The "heavy oxford" is really nice and I can actually see myself wearing it 3 seasons. I was expecting it to be really thick and heavy and only a winter shirt.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics