• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cyclemanic

Reaction score
Shrinkage is always a challenge - for many reasons.

Would PC therefore consider washing the fabric as a standard operating step (i.e. for all fabrics offered) before cutting and sewing? Maybe even run them through an industrial dryer of sorts to remove as much shrinkage as possible.

It feels like this might alleviate sizing issues for both us and the company.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Would PC therefore consider washing the fabric as a standard operating step (i.e. for all fabrics offered) before cutting and sewing? Maybe even run them through an industrial dryer of sorts to remove as much shrinkage as possible.

It feels like this might alleviate sizing issues for both us and the company.

It'a an idea that's been discussed, but determined to be too operationally challenging and expensive.

We have started to "casual wash" some of our more casual shirt styles that use fabrics known to shrink a lot - so they are washed at the factory after they are sewn - and we make sure they match spec after this washing is done.

paulraphael

Reaction score
It'a an idea that's been discussed, but determined to be too operationally challenging and expensive.

We have started to "casual wash" some of our more casual shirt styles that use fabrics known to shrink a lot - so they are washed at the factory after they are sewn - and we make sure they match spec after this washing is done.

If a technology comes along that makes pre-shrinking reasonable for all the fabrics, it would be a killer feature. So many problems would vanish.

yogibear_77

Reaction score
Hi everyone - recently, I made my first shirt through propercloth - overall experience was pretty good and I received my shirt within 10 days. I was hoping I could get some commentary on the fit?

Fabric is a 50% Cotton/50% Linen oxford weave. Shirt has been cold soaked and hung dry (sorry didn't have time to iron).

Thanks everyone.

View attachment 1433634 View attachment 1433635
Bump. Some fit/alteration would be much appreciated?

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump. Some fit/alteration would be much appreciated?
It looks billowy in the upper back, and long in the sleeves, but otherwise very nice. Great fabric! I don’t know enough about shirt measurements to troubleshoot—but their customer service people are very helpful. Email or chat with them to make changes for the re-make.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shrinkage is always a challenge - for many reasons.

pool.gif

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having trouble choosing between japanese light indigo chambray and indigo chambray, both of them seem really nice.

cbcf4a9636fe017e9acf7d66f69d8c2d_large.jpg
88b7a14a926bcd8de4bd5384db2afa8e_large.jpg

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having trouble choosing between japanese light indigo chambray and indigo chambray, both of them seem really nice.

cbcf4a9636fe017e9acf7d66f69d8c2d_large.jpg
88b7a14a926bcd8de4bd5384db2afa8e_large.jpg
The details do look pretty similar. I had the Japanese Indigo slub chambray and loved it. You might get a slightly nicer hand feel with the Japanese version. Are you going with the soft ivy collar? It has such a good roll to it.

paulraphael

Reaction score
The Japanese is a really nice fabric. No experience with the generic chambray. If you go Japanese, just know that it might shrink 3/4" in hem length. For reasons I can't wrap my head around, PC does not compensate for body length in their shrinkage algorithms.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The details do look pretty similar. I had the Japanese Indigo slub chambray and loved it. You might get a slightly nicer hand feel with the Japanese version. Are you going with the soft ivy collar? It has such a good roll to it.
I was looking at that one too, it also looks really great. I don't think I can go wrong with either of the 3 options.

Yeah soft ivy collar, soft wide placket, soft everything. I really like the wider placket option.

Not yet though, I ordered the red heavy oxford as my first shirt. If/when that turns out well, I'll order the rest.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Japanese is a really nice fabric. No experience with the generic chambray. If you go Japanese, just know that it might shrink 3/4" in hem length. For reasons I can't wrap my head around, PC does not compensate for body length in their shrinkage algorithms.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I've read similiar cases of people having to adjust sleeve and hem length for different shirts depending on the fabric.

How about the sleeve length on that one?

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. I loved that slub chambray, but it eventually became an untucked weekend shirt. I thought I’d messed up and put it in the dryer or something, and that’s why it got shorter. The sleeves, too.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads