• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi @Seph

Can anything be done about your shipping rates to Australia? AU$37 flat rate is a wince-inducing amount, particularly when shipping to the US--which is much further from where your shirts are made than Australia--is only AU$22. It is also considerably more than your competitors, for example Luxire and Tailor Store.

At a minimum, offering free shipping for two shirts or more would be a welcome offer, even if the shirt total is below the current $200 USD (AU$289.36) total.

Thanks
Toby.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score

grenache

Reaction score
The new flat bottom hem with the pique fabrics is muy bueno
Any recommendations on how/if to adjust sizing for the pique fabrics? I have quite a few shirts in a variety of other PC fabrics, but had held off getting a LS polo made until the flat hem option became available.

Pb924

Reaction score
I did not change anything about my dimensions and am happy with the outcome. If you have slim and loose patterns on file I’d say you could comfortably go with the slim pattern since you’ll get some stretch with the pique. For reference I’ve only tried the cotton blends and haven’t tried the 100% cotton piques yet so not sure about the stretch on those. The flat bottom does make the shirt appear longer so I’ll probably shorten my next order with flat bottom hem by a touch, but this measurement is dependent on how you plan to wear the shirt (i.e., tucked or untucked). I definitely recommend the pique fabrics. Hope this helps.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
08D78B13-1910-46B1-982D-BF9BA0D98078.jpeg

went 2 inches shorter, and made the mid section and bottom width the same

grenache

Reaction score
I did not change anything about my dimensions and am happy with the outcome. If you have slim and loose patterns on file I’d say you could comfortably go with the slim pattern since you’ll get some stretch with the pique. For reference I’ve only tried the cotton blends and haven’t tried the 100% cotton piques yet so not sure about the stretch on those. The flat bottom does make the shirt appear longer so I’ll probably shorten my next order with flat bottom hem by a touch, but this measurement is dependent on how you plan to wear the shirt (i.e., tucked or untucked). I definitely recommend the pique fabrics. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the insight. My main worry is adjusting correctly for the stretch. I’d planned to reduce the shoulder and chest slightly from my base size.

paulraphael

Reaction score
@Seph can you give guidance on using the new sizing model? I'm especially interested in shirt length. The new model lets us specify a front length, but not a back length; however, I'm more interested in getting the front length just right. I wear most of my shirts untucked, and quarter inch up or down in front makes a significant difference in how a shirt looks.

This has been tricky in the past, because I've had to guess at the shrinkage (you mentioned that you don't compensate for shrinkage in this measurement ... which has made ordering difficulat and has sent me to the tailor twice. But now I'm really not sure the best way to proceed. Can I trust the front length that's now shown on past orders? Should I just change the back length until the front length matches this?

And what's the point of all this? Are you making the shirts longer in the back now? By how much?

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Seph can you give guidance on using the new sizing model? I'm especially interested in shirt length. The new model lets us specify a front length, but not a back length; however, I'm more interested in getting the front length just right. I wear most of my shirts untucked, and quarter inch up or down in front makes a significant difference in how a shirt looks.

This has been tricky in the past, because I've had to guess at the shrinkage (you mentioned that you don't compensate for shrinkage in this measurement ... which has made ordering difficulat and has sent me to the tailor twice. But now I'm really not sure the best way to proceed. Can I trust the front length that's now shown on past orders? Should I just change the back length until the front length matches this?

And what's the point of all this? Are you making the shirts longer in the back now? By how much?

Yes - I understand this can seem complicated. There are a few points to all this - but a major one is that we needed to change the pattern to make sure the front and back bottom hems would align when the customer has a posture adjustment applied. So - it's hard to give much advice without knowing if you're using a Neck Posture setting or not.

If you are using the default Neck Posture setting, then there is absolutely no change to worry about. Just reorder the same as before and nothing will change.

The shirts are not being made longer in the back. Whatever you see on your saved size for back length is what your shirt's back length should measure.

The special case to deal with is if you have a posture adjustment - and you reorder with an old saved size, the front length will change from before. If you had neck forward, then your front will become shorter. If you had neck backwards, then your front will become longer.

We have some more details on all of this here: https://propercloth.com/reference/shirt-size-update-june-4-2020/

paulraphael

Reaction score
@Seph Thank you! I hadn't seen that article. It covers all my questions.

One thing doesn't quite add up. The article says to add 1/2" to the back if you have 1/2" neck forward adjustment (which I do). But in order to get front length on new shirts to equal front length on old shirts, I have to add a whole 1" to the back.

Does this reflect a mistake in the article, or am I misunderstanding something?

And Is it still true that you don't compensate for shirt length in your shrinkage predictions?

Last edited:

cuponoodles

Reaction score
Another American for non stretch.

I don't get it. Have you all worn stretch cotton ever? I will never go back.

Seph -- I'm 30ish PC shirts deep now, and just picked up my first wool button-down. Really nice fabric; definitely a lot different than what I was expecting, but I'm into it! A few different ideas:
  • I brought this up some time ago, but the shirt piping idea is something I'm into, and I'd prefer not to go MTM from one of those run-of-the-mill spots if I can help it. A longshot, no doubt, but figured I'd keep banging the drum on it :).
  • I pushed this out to the PC customer service team, but I'd love the option to make suits out of some of your trouser-only (or jackets only, for that matter) fabrics. Some of those stretch cotton trousers would make an incredible unstructured/casual suit.
  • I understand the reasoning, but I'd love the option to make a polo, even if it isn't with some of the more traditional stretch fabrics. Those Aloha prints would look incredible as a two-button summer shirt, and trust me, if I can get some of my slim popovers on, I doubt this would be a major issue.
  • Seems like y'all have a ton of solids and more run of the mill fabrics right now. I'll probably have to wait until the fall, but those vertical stripe fabrics y'all had last year were killer, and I'd love to see some of your more "out there" stuff. Ditto for some really nice, thick tartans!
Appreciate the hard work -- y'all are doing really great stuff out there!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads