1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

My first shirt just arrived and I think it did pretty well for my first go around. Let me know what you guys think

Some notes I made after trying it on
    * chest and waist feel great (great taper, no pulling)
    * sleeves slightly long (should shrink to perfect)
    * body length great for tucking, too long for untucked as is (hoping it shrinks a bit, might reduced the measurement by .5-1" if I send for adjustments)
    * maybe a little tight in the bicep for my liking, maybe the armhole too (might make .25" bigger next time)
    * collar is awesome (Soft Ivy Collar)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Need to adjust the yoke so that the shoulder seams line up with your shoulders. Also, make your fit check and note potential changes after laundering the shirt 5x times. The shirt is cotton and will shrink.

3. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Will be revisiting all my notes after it has been through the laundry a few times for sure as I know it will shrink. I want to keep all my notes organized so that I can make changes on the next order / send this one back in for the fit guarantee (we'll see what can be adjusted).

Thanks for pointing out the yolk, I didn't even catch that during my initial try on.

4. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

How's the quality of the oxford? Can you compare to luxire or ratio?

5. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Sorry, it's my first MTM shirt so can't speak compared to those companies.

It's mid weight and has a nice hand to it though, not rough and not overly soft. I think it will break in nicely over time.

6. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Luxire oxfords are pretty hard to beat, but PC's are just as good. The higher end oxfords are amazing.

7. BolognaFingers

Are you talking about the Thomas Mason ones?

8. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

9. terra firma

terra firma Senior member

The basic luxire oxfords that are from Brembana or whatever it's called are quite a bit nicer. That being said, I have a heavy black oxford and it's one of my favorite shirts.

Does anyone have the black denim? I've been fawning over it for weeks but at 110 after shipping that's really getting up there (especially considering Luxire's slubby chambrays are only 80)

10. BolognaFingers

I do! I love it.

11. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Just out of curiosity, how much shrinkage did you guys get from your shirts?

12. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I would say it probably would depend on the fabric. My oxford shrunk only slightly but is now a little snug for my liking, was kind of snug to begin in a few areas though.

I decided to tweak the measurements slightly of my oxford from the last page with the help of Brittany from customer service, with her advice I will hopefully end up with the perfect fit.

-.75" to the yoke
    +.5" to the chest
    +.5" to the bicep
    +.25" to the waist
    +.25 to the bottom (still debating if I should go +.5" on waist and bottom, I think it should be fine though)
    -1" to the length

13. BolognaFingers

A noticable but not huge amount.

They factor shrinkage into your measurements, btw.

14. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Hmm yeah I knew they factored shrinkage into my measurements when I was there but I was curious how others fared. I wore one of my black lapel dress shirts to the fitting and am curious to see how close my PC shirts get to my BL after shrinkage.

15. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

Hey wonsmithr8--fabrics will shrink differently depending on their construction, but for the most part our fabrics shrink between 1-3%. This shrinkage mostly happens vertically.

We cut to account for shrinkage in our shirts, and test all of the fabrics we buy before putting them on our site. We're working on a way to communicate shrinkage in particular fabrics more effectively, so your feedback on this sort of stuff is appreciated!
    Chris

16. terra firma

I notice its a little more than half as thick as the heavy black oxford I got from them. How soft is it?

17. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

[​IMG]

Action shot of Chris in the Salina check jacket from Four Pins.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  18. BolognaFingers

Its very very soft. Its not like a traditional denim shirt in that sense. Its not stiff or starchy at all.

19. terra firma

Proper owes you a royalty check. Ordered mine today.

20. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Joining the party here. Has anyone tried the Mercer Lightweight Denim? I am thinking of ordering it as a casual shirt.