1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ny3pcg

ny3pcg Well-Known Member

Has the president spread been updated with the stiffer collar band? It appears the Roma cutaway has been, but I don't see the update listed on the president spread collar page.

2. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Without wanting to sound like a dick, check the description on the site? That's the only way I've even noticed there were updates.

I'm still hoping they include updates like this for those on their mailing list.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

WHAT A DICK!

1 person likes this.
  4. Seph

Seph Well-Known Member Affiliate Vendor

Yes it has

5. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

I honestly think PC just needs to introduce a reinforced placket option.

1 person likes this.
  6. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

i purchased a roma cutaway in the black friday sale, so a few months ago. Albeit the fabric was a thicker oxford (vs. a thinner broadcloth), i have noticed both the collar band and the collar are stiffer. i would have just preferred the collar band be stiffened, but oh well. i just ordered a linen cotton on the roma cutaway, so we'll see how that does. Biggest issue is still a taper from bicep to forearm that is too aggressive, causing tightness in the upper forearm. I am not popeye and other shirt makers' cut doesn't cause problems. i am trying the triple pleat to see if that does the trick, but i fear it is more of an upper forearm issue caused by the taper.

1 person likes this.
  7. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

not soft roma cutaway, the typical roma cutaway?

it isn't clear to me what they did to update the soft roma cutaway, with is my go-to collar. if they made it stiffer, i would mourn.

8. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

no, the regular roma cutaway, you are OK.

I know you love it and to each his own, but i can't stand that soft roma cutaway, i have it on a few linen / cotton shirts and the collar band/collar is just a saggy droopy pile of slop [​IMG]

9. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

Hey Guys,
    Just want to help clear up any confusion here.

We've updated a bunch of our fused collars to have a stiffer collar band interlining that helps the collar stand up better when worn without a tie. The collars with that new collar band are: President Spread, English Spread, Semi Spread, Straight Point, Londoner, President Cutaway, and Roma Cutaway. We're super happy with this improvement.

Our President Semi Spread and Roma Spread collars will be updated to this new interlining the last week of February. Milano II collar will probably be updated to the new interlining in March.

None of our soft collars have a stiff interlining, by the way.

Soft Roma Cutaway & Roma Cutaway Design Changes

We made some very slight adjustments to these collar shapes. The collar band is slightly smaller, now 1.5" in the front and 1 9/16" in the back. We also increased the scope (curve) of the collar a bit and moved the points forward just 1/8". The collar below is the old Roma Cutaway and the red line in the shape of the new Roma Cutaway:

[​IMG]

Also a quick plug for our washed indigo/denim shirts--only three more days to get one! https://propercloth.com/the-washed-denim-shirt/

1 person likes this.
  11. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

thanks man.

i actually want to give the regular roma cutaway a shot on a straightforward, plain white dress shirt, at some point.

12. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior member

I just had a plain white dress shirt with the roma cutaway arrive last week. I wore it a couple days ago and it was wonderful. I have several shirts with the old version of the roma cutaway and the stiffness of the new collar band interlining is noticeable and definitely helps the collar stand up better. I thought I noticed a slight difference in the shape of the collar as well, which apparently is correct. It's a really good collar and I think will it will be my go to for any plain white or light blue shirts in the future.

1 person likes this.
  13. ericgereghty

Good to hear. I'm in the same boat as @mossrockss the Roma Cutaway will be the next one I try out, standard business-y boring blues and whites of course ha.

14. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

yeah for me i'd only wear it with a tie.

i'd use the soft roma cutaway for any casual white shirts that i'd use for tonal outfits with open collar.

i'm not sure why, but i have no issues whatsoever with any PC shirts not standing up under a jacket with an open collar.

sux 2 b u i guess :sarcasm:

15. ericgereghty

I honestly (and with much jealousy) have no idea how your Soft Romas stand up with lighter fabrics. I have only one (a linen/cotton blend) in the Soft Roma, which I do like with a tie, but goodness it has no chance of consistently sitting up sans tie like your collar appears.

Unrelated to Roma, I'm very excited for the Milano getting a stiffer interlining. That collar is badass without a tie, and having it in such a way that it doesn't fall under lapels would be awesome.

1 person likes this.
  16. suited

suited Senior member

I'm a big fan of the Roma Cutaway after receiving my first shirt with this collar a couple weeks ago. It is by far my favorite collar from PC. re: the tie with this type of collar - I have several casual shirts with cutaway collars and like them a lot.

As far as collars collapsing, the Roma Cutaway stands up nicely, but ultimately I've found that I prefer a smaller collar measurement on shirts I intend to wear without a tie. I think the smaller circumference allows the collar to stand up easier. My tolerance for a tight collar is pretty low, so I find that I have to order shirts with a larger collar if I intend to button the top button, and this causes them to sag when a tie is not worn.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  17. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior member

Would you guys go with a Soft President Spread or a Soft Ivy BD collar for a spring/summer sport shirt (possibly 100% linen) that I will never, ever wear with a tie? I'm torn.

18. ericgereghty

Ivy, for sure.

1 person likes this.
  19. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

Quote:I never wear ties w/ any of my PC shirts...and I usually rock soft ivy bd, soft pres spread, and soft franklin.... I consider the SPS and the SIBD to be such different looks... but I will say that w/ the SIBD I never have to fuss w/ it thruout the day...it sits put......the SPS may need some love here and there during the day.

1 person likes this.
  20. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member