1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Is there an option for non-pleated cuffs? Didn't think I saw one last time I poked around on the site. I think they've made some updates since then.

2. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Have only seen (and tried) choices for between 1-3 pleats.

Interesting conversation, I am 6'4" 240 and have long / narrow arms for that size.

My shirts also bind a little in the forearm when I get biceps right.

I've stuck with 2 pleats for most shirts, would prefer 1 or none.

3. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

The narrower forearms also come into play when rolling up your sleeves. At least for me.

4. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

yup.....

it can be a bit of a chore to do a roll up for sure.

my feeling is that whatever formula PC uses that gives the forearm measurement based on the upper arm and the cuff, is a wee bit too small...

5. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

but its not tight around lower forearm /cuff area for me.....

and for this reason I prefer not a 3 pleat....I have more than enough room there.

6. cuponoodles

cuponoodles Senior member

This may be stating the obvious, but it also makes sense to check the actual sleeve length. Sleeves that are too short may be hitting the elbow at a point in the shirt that's slimmer then the rest of the arm. It may help to add some back pleats to account for that reaching forward pulling that I sometimes get :).

7. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Would be curious to see how the sleeves look, if you can upload a picture. I for one thought my initial orders had the upper arm perfect, but that extra bit of space does wonders for comfort, and only minimally impacts the aesthetics...and solves the snug elbow/forearm in my experience.

8. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

I always have difficulty posting pics....Ill try again

I stole this pic from here..hope no one minds.

see even here the upper forearm appears snug...yet the upper arm. and cuff area are fine...actually, one could say the cuff appears a bit large!

is it obvious, like it is to me?...middle to upper forearm to elbow[​IMG] this pic makes me think it really is something PC should look at.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  9. aj805

aj805 Well-Known Member

The whole sleeve is snug. This is the problem with the whole "slim fit" style--there's not enough room anywhere to allow for normal variations in proportions, let alone normal movement, causing people to struggle with these patterns.

The wrist measurement will also affect the taper through the forearm. I personally don't like snug wrists (and alter the shirt length accordingly, so that it doesn't fall down on to my hand). If this were my fit I would put 0.5" into the bicep and 0.25" into the cuff.

10. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

I think the lower bicep to the shoulder is not snug...perhaps trim....and fine.

even the cuff/wrist and the 3 or so inches toward the shoulder is a bit loose!.....

its the middle area that just seems off.

to me, its is very apparent in the pic were the issue is...its a clear cut issue thats visible.

Putting .25 " into that cuff would be awful..it already appears large

btw, I do understand your point. And I agree that w / a trim fit there will be issues to a degree.

11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

If you have large forearms - guess what - things will be tight, and you'll need to expand measurements to compensate - I dont see how that is controversial.
    If you like your sleeves 'slim', guess what - they'll be slim.

expanding your arm measurements isn't the worst thing in the world.

12. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

I just dont think this is a "large" forearrn issue

13. ericgereghty

Agree with this, though I would absolutely endorse (hell, I'll be the guinea pig lol) having a measurement specifically focused on the forearm.

14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

why not add pleats? that's the point of pleats, to give more space

15. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

just to reiterate,

that pic is not me , but it displays my same issue.

and as u can see, the cuff is more than fine( in that pic it even looks a bit large)....

why would I add pleats there?....

btw, I find this stuff fun to converse about. I love PC...and realize its not bespoke.

but I do feel the pattern/formula being used may be a wee bit off.

16. ericgereghty

I could be the minority, but I have not found adding pleats to noticeably impact the cuffs.

17. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

ditto........forearm/elbow!

18. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

I dont think it is meant to impact cuff , as cuff has its own measurement.. right?

19. ericgereghty

I may misinterpreting, but aren't you saying a reason for not adding the triple pleat is that it would impact the cuff?

"and as u can see, the cuff is more than fine( in that pic it even looks a bit large)....

why would I add pleats there?...."

Maybe I'm just confused. Yes, I know that's not your pic, but I assume it's close enough to derive similar findings.

20. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

no .....I may not have been clear.....

lower forearm has more than enough room.....where sleeve meets cuff. IM thinking a 3 pleat would only offer MORE room there...i dont need that......nor does the chap in the pic...lol