1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

I'm thinking of picking up another PC shirt, this time the Red & Navy gingham. How casual with this fabric be? I know its broadcloth, but I have a hard time understanding if that means the shirt will be crisp and formal or if it will be comfortable, flexible, and casual.

2. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Broadcloth is a great fabric for formal shirts, because it is crisp and irons well. The pattern that you linked to, however, is relatively informal. Most formal business shirts are either blue, white, or a combination of the two. That said, there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't wear broadcloth casually. I would say that you could dress this shirt both up and down, depending on how formal your office environment is. My office is relatively casual and I can certainly get away with a pattern like this on occasion.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  3. Andrew Ryan

Andrew Ryan Senior member

I have a shirt form this fabric. Broadcloth in and of itself is crisp, but this also depends on thread count et cetera. It's certainly more formal (broadcloth) than an oxford cloth. All that said, broadcloth can be used for any design and the red and navy gingham pattern makes it far more casual. I wouldn't wear it with a tie, but that's due to the pattern/color, not the fabric per se.

Great shirt, though, I recommend it.

4. Andrew Ryan

^ JackFlash beat me to it.

5. BolognaFingers

Thanks for the quick replies!!

Andrew Ryan, how comfortable is the fabric? I don't 'work' per se (grad student) so I don't have to impress an office environment. But I'll be wearing this shirt in my daily rotation of 'clothes that aren't black metal t-shirts'

6. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Ahh how I miss those days!

7. Andrew Ryan

It's not the highest thread count, so it's a little thin compared to their higher end offerings - the 120s and up broadcloths, fine twills, and so forth. However, I find it quite comfortable and the pattern (with navy as opposed to true blue) very versatile.

8. BolognaFingers

I'm in my 30s so you don't have to miss them if you don't want to!

9. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

I'm in my 40s but I still have the occasional flashback! :slayer:

10. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

A few places online say you are able to get $25 off your first shirt. I am all signed up and ready to go but have no idea how to get the checkout page to reflect any discount...

Did I screw something up or is that something that is not offered?

Resolved via Proper Cloth customer service, very prompt I might add.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  11. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

Hey Guys,
    We just launched a brand new collection on the site! It was designed with a really strong color story in mind. A full spectrum of blue hues accented with the pop of orange reminiscent of the last little bit of color you get in a New York sunset. We loved the way that bit of orange makes a spring look a little more fun, while still staying easy to wear and masculine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since custom fitting shirts are our expertise, we started here. Dress shirt fabrics include super soft, lightweight broadcloths coming from Italian mills Canclini, Cotonifico Albini and Thomas Mason. Sport shirts feature lightweight denims and chambrays.

The jackets are a first for us and we're really excited about them. They are totally unstructured and unlined for an incredibly lightweight feel. You can wear these jackets on the hottest days and still be comfortable. We have two styles, a silk/linen/wool blend navy herringbone and a Loro Piana 100% tropical weight wool plaid.

We had these made in an awesome little factory in Italy. They've been making these lightweight, deconstructed jackets for decades now. The level of craftsmanship and fit are really incredible and the style nicely compliments our artisanal soft collars perfectly.

I only posted a selection of the images, but if you want to see the whole collection you can follow the link below:

http://propercloth.com/collections/morningside

As always--would love to get your feedback!
    Cheers,
    Chris

1 person likes this.
  12. roncfp

roncfp Member

Nice collection and really like the jackets. You guys do great work and your customer service is second to none. The Howard Street Chambray is very nice and very soft to the touch. I did mine with a soft President cutaway and it works with and without tie.

13. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

So glad I have a sample of that chambray fabric coming with my order.

I bought the light blue oxford with the Ivy collar, soft placket and cuffs. Testing the waters with a standard OCBD before venturing into some other fabrics.

14. BolognaFingers

Let us know how it turns out!

15. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

These look very nice, but why the working buttons on the sleeves? Sure it's a "bespoke detail" but it makes sizing very difficult. I for one will not be able to order due to the working cuffs.

16. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

I for one won't be able to order due to them being made for tiny people! 42L the biggest size!?

17. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

Hi JackFlash,
    We're actually testing one with working button holes and one without working buttonholes to see which our customers prefer. The Salina Soft Multi-Check, made from a blue and white check Loro Piana tropical wool, comes without cut buttonholes.

Appreciate the feedback!

18. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

Hi Ozzy,
    Since this is our first iteration, we wanted to start off with a small size range. We're hoping to expand sizing in future seasons, though.

19. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Of course, folks might prefer one over the other due to pattern and styling, not having anything to do with the button holes.

I'm certainly not going to harp on this but the whole working cuffs for OTR fad is certainly popular (e.g., Suit Supply) but really doesn't make sense to me. It can result in disqualifying folks from being able to purchase or pushes people to buy something based on arm length, compromising fit elsewhere.

Nice jackets, though!

20. Usonian

Usonian Senior member

Why does working button holes change sleeve fit? As someone who has started dressing nicely in the past year or so, non working sleeves make me so angry, there are buttons, so why don't they work? I'm also a functionalist.

Also, going back to a post I made last week or so about wearing PC shirts untucked, it's just a matter of ordering it slightly shorter? There aren't any details on the placket or bottom of the shirt that make it appear like in wearing a dress shirt untucked? The scoops aren't too high or anything?

Also, that blue herringbone jacket is goooorgeous. Edit: aaaaaand just a little out of my price range. Damn.

Last edited: May 9, 2014