• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ccallis

Reaction score

Does the length of this shirt look OK for casual wear? I was considering getting it .5 longer to account for variance in material shrinkage.
http://i.imgur.com/YMe7nNC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VADRzqf.jpg

I would launder it and wait to see how much shrinkage you get. Shrinkage depends quite a bit on how each person cares for their shirt. Looks like that's a charcoal heavy oxford? If so, I'd wait to change size until you've washed it 2 times. Those shrink quite a bit in comparison to most of the styles we carry.

For those with arm tightness issues--we're currently in the process of prototyping a 3 pleat forearm. It won't help if you find the armpit too tight. But you feel like you could go slimmer in the bicep, but worry about the forearm becoming too snug, then give it a try in a month or two when it's ready.

Chris

bigsink

Reaction score

I would launder it and wait to see how much shrinkage you get. Shrinkage depends quite a bit on how each person cares for their shirt. Looks like that's a charcoal heavy oxford? If so, I'd wait to change size until you've washed it 2 times. Those shrink quite a bit in comparison to most of the styles we carry.

For those with arm tightness issues--we're currently in the process of prototyping a 3 pleat forearm. It won't help if you find the armpit too tight. But you feel like you could go slimmer in the bicep, but worry about the forearm becoming too snug, then give it a try in a month or two when it's ready.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I placed a new order yesterday. The heavy charcoal came in .5 slimmer than the other shirts ordered with it. I washed a bunch of times already and seeing about .5 difference in shirt lengths so worried that future orders may end up too short. I'd rather err- on the longer side then tailor if needed. We will be trying the larger chest/neck change to help with the top button and 2pleat forarm. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

otterhound

Reaction score
Just got my second shirt today and I still can't figure out how these guys make a profit after shipping costs. FedEx international express from Asia? The shipping costs must be brutal.

kwv07

Reaction score
Hey Chris,

Any new collars in the work for 2016? Or, any options to modify current collars?

Thanks so much!

ccallis

Reaction score

Any new collars in the work for 2016? Or, any options to modify current collars? 

We're making a number of smaller tweaks to many different collars, currently. Really excited about how they'll improve performance (ie how collars stand up, comfort, back collar height, collar roll). We're taking our time with these, so I wouldn't expect any shape updates go live in the next month.

We actually just updated the unfused interlining on our Soft Franklin, Soft President, and Soft Roma collars to use a slightly more full bodied brushed non-fusible interlining from Germany. Again...subtle difference but a good one!

No new collars planned at the moment, but we'll do some more thinking on that once the smaller tweaks I mentioned are complete.

What is wrong with the website? Pages take forever to load, or won't load, layout is terrible. Please go back to the old site.

Sorry to hear! Not sure what you're seeing, as I don't think there are any major updates recently--best to send an email to customer service if you're having any real issues or want to make suggestions.

kwv07

Reaction score
We're making a number of smaller tweaks to many different collars, currently. Really excited about how they'll improve performance (ie how collars stand up, comfort, back collar height, collar roll). We're taking our time with these, so I wouldn't expect any shape updates go live in the next month.

We actually just updated the unfused interlining on our Soft Franklin, Soft President, and Soft Roma collars to use a slightly more full bodied brushed non-fusible interlining from Germany. Again...subtle difference but a good one!

No new collars planned at the moment, but we'll do some more thinking on that once the smaller tweaks I mentioned are complete.

Will any of those smaller tweaks change some of the measurements? Would love to see the president spread increased to 3.25" collar points, etc? It would be great to have something right in between the Roma size and the <3" length.

ccallis

Reaction score

Will any of those smaller tweaks change some of the measurements? Would love to see the president spread increased to 3.25" collar points, etc? It would be great to have something right in between the Roma size and the <3" length. 

Yes--some of these tweaks will change measurements while others will just change curves. Think you'll be happy with them. Can't guarantee quite yet, but I bet Pres Spread points will become a tad longer and Roma will become slightly smaller.

kwv07

Reaction score
Yes--some of these tweaks will change measurements while others will just change curves. Think you'll be happy with them. Can't guarantee quite yet, but I bet Pres Spread points will become a tad longer and Roma will become slightly smaller.

Awesome! Great news.

Any idea of the timing on this?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
smaller? : ( hopefully not too much smaller

Also - will it help the collars stand up better when wearing a jacket? (so it doesnt collapse towards the middle)?

Last edited:

kwv07

Reaction score
Would also love to see the front collar band height reduced just a tad. Just a personal opinion.

ccallis

Reaction score

Awesome! Great news. 

Any idea of the timing on this? 

Nope. I will not predict timing, will update SF when any changes go live!

smaller? : (

Also - will it help the collars stand up better when wearing a jacket? (so it doesnt collapse towards the middle)?

It will be a very small change to dimensions, while SF guys may notice I think most will not. And yes, biggest area of improvement across all collars will be how each collar stands up.

Last edited:

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just placed my first order with proper cloth. its the Canclini Indigo Houndstooth Beacon Flannel PCF916 - Soft Roma Cutaway Collar.
Looking forward to receive it soon in 2 weeks.
What are the most popular good quality fabrics at proper cloth for casual and dress shirts ?

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everyone. I just placed my first order with proper cloth. its the Canclini Indigo Houndstooth Beacon Flannel PCF916 - Soft Roma Cutaway Collar. 
Looking forward to receive it soon in 2 weeks. 
What are the most popular good quality fabrics at proper cloth for casual and dress shirts ? 

Great choice on collar. My favorite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads