1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

That is my initial experience with just two washes. I plan to buy another of the linen cotton blends and added a quarter inch in the neck and another half inch in the length. But I want to break this one in more before pulling the trigger to confirm the shrinkage.

2. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Some of the reviews said it looks just like cheap cotton. I can see what they mean, but the fact that it is cotton linen and fits so well and has the awesome details I specified (the collar and cuff namely) outweighs that potential downside. For me, I think the biggest improvement they could make would be to use more contrasty threads in the Oxford weave (a darker more saturated blue thread with a stark white thread, more like their standard heavy Oxford fabric). That would make the texture even more interesting as you got closer to it. Overall the hue and saturation are fine at a distance as is.

3. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

Can I get fit advice before I place my next order? I think the neck and shoulders are good. I'm thinking the chest needs to come in at least an inch and the sleeves need to come up (maybe 1/2 inch, maybe more). I'm not sure about the waist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Anybody gotten the blue stripe linen-cotton? Planning to get it, but just curious if anyone else has real life experience.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I got the darker one (marine? I think). Like it a lot. If you want that same color way but not in linen, albini light blue stripe chambray are amazing too.

6. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

I've got an order with the updated President II collar on the way. Curious to see how it stacks up - my experience thus far has been with the president stiff collar.

7. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Anyone else find the colorodo BD a bit 'closed up' with the standard button placement and neck button undone? I've found myself looking to lower the button, (or raising the button and keeping the 2nd undone). What's preferable for guys who guy tieless?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  8. cyclemanic

cyclemanic Member

I received this one in my latest order and like it quite a bit. It's appropriately casual given its slubby weave and pretty comfortable even in my sweltering Southeast Asian climate. Fit wise, my linen-cotton feels ever so slightly baggier than my other shirts that have the same sizing – not sure if that's because it simply feels floppier or something.

I paired it with the Soft President Cutaway collar that feels, for some reason, a bit thicker than my Soft Roma Cutaways on my dress shirts; it doesn't detract from its comfort though.

1 person likes this.
  9. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior member

So an interesting series of events just happened to me. A few weeks ago I purchased a shirt with the new President II spread collar. I really liked the President collar and this was advertised as being a little stiffer, which sounded intriguing. Anyway, the shirt arrives today and I try it on and notice something is off. It didn't seem as spread as the President collar and the points of the collar wouldn't reach under my jacket lapels. So I was bummed and confused. Then the OCD took over and I decided to measure to collar point length. It was 2.75 inches. The President II is supposed to 3 1/8". Looks as though an English Spread Collar made it's way onto my shirt. Sads ensued.

So then I called PC to see what was up and Ana answers the phone and fixes all that is wrong in my world. She confirmed my suspicion about the wrong collar. Apparently there was a glitch in their system that told the factory to use an English Spread when a President II was ordered (said glitch has since been un-glitched). So PC said to keep the shirt and refunded my $$ to order a new one.

So, conclusion: PC obviously has outstanding customer service. But cautionary tale: if you ordered one of the new "II" collars have a close look to ensure you received the correct collar.

3 people like this.
  10. JFetter

JFetter Senior member

Collar style - maybe Londoner / President Cutaway?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. AriG

AriG Senior member

No, that's a standard spread. President II is probably close.

12. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

My linen-cotton oxford shirt's maiden voyage. Love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse my sort of idiotic expression in photo 2. Must've been too much wine lol

2 people like this.
  13. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Hey @Seph or @ccallis, wondering if there'll be a light blue chambray fabric coming back at any time. Something like the Albini light blue. http://propercloth.com/fabrics/albini-light-blue-chambray-1348.html

I was thinking of making a dress shirt from that fabric or something like it, but since adding it to my wishlist see it is now out of stock. Hoping there will be something to replace it in a similar color!

14. venividivicibj

That fabric looks really good - much smoother than most linens. it looks a lot like the albini light blue chambray you actually linked.

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

That Albini chambray is one of my favorites. I wear that shirt all the time.

16. cnew

cnew Well-Known Member

Does Proper Cloth ever do runs of Madras? I love their selection, but I want to branch out from the usual light-blue shirt.

17. venividivicibj

18. brillopad

brillopad Senior member

I have a couple of madras shirts from PC that I got 1-2 years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if they do some more this Spring.

19. bluescholar

bluescholar Active Member

I saw they have some new Spring Plaids. Not exactly madras, but still pretty vibrant. A couple examples:
    http://propercloth.com/fabrics/thomas-mason-pink-spring-plaid-1814.html
    http://propercloth.com/fabrics/thomas-mason-blue-spring-plaid-1879.html

I missed the recent Washed Denim and Indigo run since I recently changed the measurements on new shirts and wanted to have them laundered to see how they fit before getting another batch and ran out of time. Anyway, I'm now anxious for the next Washed Denim run which will probably be months away. Got me wondering: has anyone ordered both the Albiate denim shirting and the Japanese washed denim? I have the Japanese washed denim and love the fabric but wondered how they compared in terms of feel and structure. I also wonder how the non-denim Katazome prints compare to the washed denim prints. Do they look similar in person? Is it worth waiting for the next Washed Denim and Indigo run and hope they keep doing denim prints?

Any light anyone can share would be appreciated.

Also, I noticed a placket width discussion earlier in this thread. I have a PC shirt made near when they started. It has a wider placket than all of my subsequent PC shirts. I think Seph once said they changed the width of the placket to be more in line with a modern aesthetic. Personally I like plackets in general, wide or narrow for the added support they give the collar and how they frame the buttons.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  20. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

I feel like they need a Stiff Londoner with longer points.

3 3/8" points
    6" spread

Also, what happened to the stiff collar styles? I can google the pages but they're not available through the main site navigation.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016