• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These Beacon Flannels are some of my all time favorite fabrics. So soft! I have Navy and Sage, think I'm going to get an additional two....

I'll second that. I have the Sage and the Ivory color. Beautiful shirts, wonderfully soft. I have mine made up with the Soft Ivy collar.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. Shirts with an attached wing collar never look right. Wing collars are starched so as to be almost rigid, which, amongst other things, allows the collar to not collapse under the tie. An attached collar shirt couldn't be starched like that (I think it would be unwearable).
You can make the collar stiff without having the rest of the shirt stiff...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can make the collar stiff without having the rest of the shirt stiff...

I accept that that may be true. I just have never seen an attached wing collar that looked right. It may just be that my experience is limited. And as much as I am a fan of Proper Cloth, I greatly doubt that their wing collar shirt bucks the trend.

bigsink

Reaction score
My PC shirt chest is a bit roomier than any of my other shirts. I'm considering going smaller. I h ave a 41.5 chest and these are 23.5. http://m.imgur.com/a/DQesM I was considering ordering 23.25. A whuile back we ordered 21.00 and it was was too snug. Im worried that the next PC shirts will measure .25 smaller than requested (arriving at 23.0) . Overall I'm trying to reduce the hour glassy figure and excess material around the upper back and chest. Increasing the mid by .25 as well to square off the shape a bit. Perhaps I should keep as is The current shirt makes me look like a buff dude but thats hardly the case.. Thoughts?

Last edited:

trilly

Reaction score
I think you could be fine with 23.25 with a 41.5 in chest - I'm a 42 chest and finally got my chest area snug, but not too snug, with a 23.5 shirt.

chizhang001001

Reaction score
make sure you wash and dry your shirt first, the oxford I ordered shrinked considerably

cyclemanic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Quick question: what do you think of pairing soft collars with soft cuffs for office/dress shirts? Would it be conceptually too informal?

My current two Proper Cloth dress shirts are done up with the Soft Roma Cutaway collar – which I love – and fused barrel cuffs, but I'm looking to go for unfused everything in the future because there does seem to have some internal discordance right now. Appreciate your insights!

trilly

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone else ask about this - but do the tags and extra buttons on the inside of the shirt irritate anyone else? I don't wear undershirts so they rub against my side sometimes. If so, did you just cut them off?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't see anyone else ask about this - but do the tags and extra buttons on the inside of the shirt irritate anyone else? I don't wear undershirts so they rub against my side sometimes. If so, did you just cut them off?

I cut them off of every shirt. I store the buttons in a little box in my closet in case I ever need them.

bigsink

Reaction score
Gent's i'm looking for a casual soft collar. I've found that the Ivy to be too large for my smaller neck. My chin crashes into the front all day long and looks a bit strange.
The Colorado BD works for my casual shirts. What other soft collars would you guys recommend for a non-button down option? I worry that the Soft Frankly would be way too small and best suited for a small frame. Is there an option slightly bigger than the Soft Franklin without a button? (soft president?) thats usually my go to for dress shirts. Thanks.

bigsink

Reaction score

I think you could be fine with 23.25 with a 41.5 in chest - I'm a 42 chest and finally got my chest area snug, but not too snug, with a 23.5 shirt.
23.0 simply didn't fit with my PC shirt. Which makes no sense considering a few other shirts fit just fine with 22.5-22.75. I guess the arm hole positioning makes a difference. I think I'm going to stay with the baggy 23.5. Too scared to go 23.25 and end up closer to 23.0 due to variations in shrinkage and such. Maybe I'll just move the button on the larger one and call it a day.

trilly

Reaction score
That's really strange. I can only speak to my own experience, but when I was measured in store, my first fitting used 21.5 inches and was way too tight, but still wearable (you'd see pulling). Even out to 23, it was pulling, albeit much more wearable. 23.5 ended up being snug without any pulling. I can't see how .25 inches would make THAT much of a difference, but everyone's body is different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads