Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. robc

robc Member

Is anyone else disappointed by the cuff quality and thinness of them?

just got 1st order and the convertible cuffs are terrible and thin- my crumby jantzens are better or even a arrow shirt is better.

yuk. internet hype. not pleased at all with the quality of P.C.. Do like the website and ordering, but the final product is not worth the money.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

What shirt did you get? I've never had that problem with my cuffs, have you contacted PC at all?

3. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

I haven't noticed any problems with my cuffs comparing them to my others (Brooks Brothers and Charles Tyrwhitt). The cuffs aren't thick, but I've never thought of them as flimsy or low quality. Perhaps it's a characteristic of the fabric you used on your order? Or it's possible I'm simply not as bothered by thinner cuffs.

4. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Anyone?

5. robc

robc Member

Its that they don't have interfacing on the cuffs. which- I have only ever seen on casual shirts and cheaper low end shirts. contacted them to see if they have inandout burger style hidden menu of options.

Being 58 pages with all the menswear snobs here I cannot believe that no one has raised this issue before.

6. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

I think I've identified your issue...

In all seriousness, I can't speak to the quality/thinness of the cuffs. I have a barrel cuff shirt sitting at my porch right now, but, as of this moment, I have only had experience with PC's french cuffs, which I certainly wouldn't consider flimsy. They definitely have more flexibility to them, in that they do not feel like I'm handcuffed in my shirt, but still wouldn't come close to what I consider flimsy.

I will report my thoughts on the barrel cuffs.

7. CaptainTohm

Are you wearing the slim fit of the extra slim?

8. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

I just received two more shirts from Proper Cloth - both the Canclini tan linen and the Canclini brown linen. I already said so in the fabric reviews, but these are easily the most comfortable pure linens I've got out of the box. I'm a big fan of Canclini (all of my OCBDs, both from Proper Cloth and from Beckett & Robb, are also Canclini fabrics).

I'll try to get some photos up later after I've ironed out the creases (and have decent lighting available).

I like the brown linen (which has a bit of a muted olive tint to it in person) so much that I ordered a second one right away with slightly different details, along with the the crazy awesome Blue Japanese Slub weave they just released.

My $0.02, ymmv, etc...

9. CaptainTohm

Just posting to compliment Proper Cloth for taking such good care of their customers.

I made an error on a shirt that was about to ship, and PC instead offered to remake the shirt for me and ship the rest of my order while I waited. That's the type of customer service that keeps me from having a wandering eye in the MTM field.

10. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

PC's barrel cuffs definitely seem less sturdy (though not flimsy IMO) than their french cuffs. Perhaps the convertible cuffs align more with the barrel cuff construction than that of the french cuff.

Two thoughts on the issue:

1. It certainly isn't enough to dissuade me from ordering more shirts from PC, regardless of cuff. The lack of heft to them is not at all a death knell in my view.

2. I would highly recommend never going with convertible cuffs...ever.

11. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Casual shirt doesnt look very 'slim fit' on the arms and upper back.
    I'm considering slimming the chest .25 [seems roomy especially in the rear].
    Slimming arms .25 (my biceps measure 12" and this shirt has 8.75 arms)
    Slimming midsection .5 (to a 19.75 but my bottom width is 21.5) . Would that be too much hourglass?
    Finally, is the ivy collar too tall to be worn blazer less? What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

12. CaptainTohm

I think those are both good calls. The shirt looks solid as is, but I agree slimming the upper back and sleeves will make for a very flattering fit, especially for a casual shirt.

I also love the Ivy BD collar, and wear it with and without a jacket. However, I have a pretty large build at 6'2 220lbs, so the height isn't as exaggerated on me as it may be on smaller builds.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

13. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Thanks I'm about 160. Would you also agree with slimming the body .5 or would that be too aggressive? For reference my dress shirts are 19.25. This guy is 20.25. Was considering 19.75 with a 21.5 bottom. Dong know if that will be too hourglass...

14. CaptainTohm

Are this mid

My chest measurement on all my PC shirts is 23.5, my midsection is 20.5, and my bottom is 22.5. I almost always wear my shirts tucked in, but I'm very happy with the shape of my shirts. I think it all depends on the build of the wearer. I can post a picture tonight or tomorrow if that will help.

15. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

So a 2" drop for you. I hear casual shirts should be more square. I'm considering 19.75 mid to 1.5 bottom. Sure pics would help ! Thanks so much