Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

Sounds like you did some good planning for this, if you're very happy with a 20" shirt you have stick close to that. 27.5" makes sense for you height in terms of shirt length--typically shirt length is the specification most prone to shrinking past our desired dimensions. We're always trying to make improvements on this, but if you're deciding between .5" in length, I suggest going for the longer measurement.

No time limit/shot clock on alterations!

2. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

Far better user interface / web layout, better photography, clearer options.

Far fewer options for customization.

3. brillopad

brillopad Senior member

I think they're both good, they just have different value propositions.

Luxire offers basically limitless opportunities for customization (a double edged sword, for sure) and has impressive quality at an aggressive price.

PC has an amazing interface and great overall customer experience, great customer support, lots of wonderful photography for inspiration, and a more 'curated' selection of style and fabric options.

Just my two cents. I use PC but certainly don't fault those that use Luxire.

Also, photo of one of my new PC shirts - Canclini Blue Cotton Linen Oxford (sold out) with soft Roma spread and MOP buttons.

[​IMG]

4. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Nice! I used PC a long time ago, I thought their quality was great but they lacked a lot of customization options at the time and it was pretty expensive for an online MTM, especially since they charged $15 for shipping.

I'm thinking about trying them again but I'm still disappointed by the fact they don't have darting options.

5. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

Something we're hoping to remedy by the end of summer!

6. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

For Dress shirts worn without a tie/jacket, do you guys recommend fused collars/cuffs? (I'm looking to buy button downs for work.)

7. novaeagle

novaeagle Senior member

Button-down collar? Buy non-fused everything, one-button, and the soft ivy collar. Get a angled pocket. If the collar is button-down, everything should be soft (don't forget the placket).

8. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I was worried that a thinner fabric would hang sloppily. I intend on wearing this with wool/linen/cotton pants, no tie or jacket, in a business casual setting where i'm in management. I wanted to tone down the formality from spread collar and thought this would be a great way to do so.

9. novaeagle

novaeagle Senior member

Generally speaking, cuffs and placket should match the fusing of the collar. So if your collar isn't fused, your cuffs and placket shouldn't be fused either. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they're rare.

If you're trying to tone down the formality, soft cutaways wouldn't be a bad idea either, if you're looking for variety.

10. AriG

AriG Senior member

I usually get the soft placket with fused collar and cuffs (unless it's a super formal or otherwise special shirt), the fused placket is just kind of weird and bulges more when sitting down. Most of my other non-PC dress shirts also have soft plackets, can't be that bad.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  11. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Great, thanks man. I purchased the unfused ivy's.

12. oldcomma

oldcomma Active Member

So the second time around, still have fitting issues. sleeve length and to a degree collar size are off again. the fabric was ok , i expected better for the price i have to say.
    that said, their customer service is excellent and the soft roma cut away collar is beautiful!!!!

13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Anyone use the Roma spread without a collar? I've only seen it with a collar. (Was wondering because not all big collars work sans tie)

14. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

You're drunk

and to answer the question you meant to ask, no I don't think it works. The collar points are too long and the spread is too wide. It looks good with a tie, but without one it takes up too much space on its own to not be distracting

15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

[​IMG]

but thanks.