Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. kwv07

kwv07 Senior member

That would be thread count (100s and up) not price. @ccallis

2. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

So would I. I'd love to see more Bengal stripe-style options. I don't buy wrinkle resistant shirts.

3. bluescholar

bluescholar Active Member

@ccallis
    Any chance of a triple pleated cuff or a separate forearm measurement for those with Popeye forearms?

The new linen fabrics look incredible.

Last edited: May 30, 2015

4. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Hey @ccallis I had 3 questions:

1- I'm about to place a order after the first (remade a few times). The armpit holes (standard size) are still tight. I read that a tailored armpit hole is actually larger than a regular armpithole. Is that correct?

2- If I'm unhappy with a collar style, can I pay to get it swapped out?

3- The big question - None of my shirts measure exactly what the initial spec was. They range between .25-.75 difference. So, for example, I purchased a few shirts with a 19.75 waist, but they arrived roughly 21.-21.75. I happen to like the fit ... do I adjust my template in the website tt 21.~ or leave it as is?

Last edited: May 28, 2015

5. AriG

AriG Senior member

Re 1) Yes, I have read this entire thread and all the website support sections but am still unsure as to how those patterns really differ. From the information I've gathered thus far, saying "tailored armhole is lower" and "the dimensions don't change, only the angle" from the website, I glean that the sleeve is attached at a wider angle for the full armpit fit, resulting in a slightly higher armhole, more range of movement with arms out, but more lines along the biceps with arms down.

I'd love to see a sketch of those patterns.

On a related note, I have very skinny arms (all the way) and the elbows are just very tight, but increasing sleeve width is no option, there is (more than) plenty of fabric at the bicep. However, it tapers so heavily so as to accomodate my 7.75" cuff (which is necessary for a clean look and not too tight at all at my wrist). When I tie my tie, it really cuts into the elbow heavily. So, I wonder if I should just switch to the double pleat forearm. Then again, I have enough room in the forearm by far, the elbow area is the only issue. Mind you, it's not major, but I feel the additional pleat would just blow up my forearm area and leave the elbow at best slightly roomier.

FYI I have used the tailored armpit fit for all of my 8 shirts thus far.

Last edited: May 31, 2015

6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

How opaque is this particular Chambray? Some are thin enough to be seen through.

Does it iron well?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: May 31, 2015

7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

You can see my undershirt through it and it doesn't iron all that well, but it is chambray....embrace the wrinkles and enjoy the coolness!

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

So all of the shirts have shrinkage built in? (Meaning your measurements will be added to to incorporate shrinkage).

Anyway that we can not have that shrinkage allowance (if we're dry cleaning and not washing)

9. novaeagle

novaeagle Senior member

The shirts will shrink even if you dry clean them. In my experience their allowances are usually very well done. Measurements are the last of my concerns with PC. My only complaint is how much that charge for shipping and MOP buttons.

10. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do not dry clean your shirts unless there is some weird stain that needs to be worked on..
    always launder.. no starch!
    shirtmakers allow for shrinkage

11. venividivicibj

Is there something in the dry cleaning that is harmful to the shirt? (Just for informations-sake)

12. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Absolutely, it's call Perc...the main solvent/chemical used in dry cleaning. It's no bueno and will deteriorate the fabric at a much faster rate than a cold water gentle wash and hang dry. You can also have the dry cleaner launder them like Carl mentioned.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

13. venividivicibj

got it, thanks.

14. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

@bigsink

Hey- sorry for the delayed response

1- It is not larger, just cut and sewn at different angle, which helps eliminate fabric from the front part of the armpit area and can cause the armhole to feel less "up in your armpit."

2- We can't put a new collar on an existing shirt, but if you email [email protected] we can review the situation and will try to figure out a solution.

3- I would leave the measurement where it is. Our factory measures the shirts before they go out to make sure they are within spec, so there can be a difference between how you measure and how they measure. I'd wouldn't suggest changing if you're happy with the fit as it is.

@bluescholar It's been discussed but I wouldn't imagine this would get added any time soon.

@AriG Yes, I would add double pleated forearm. 7.75" cuff is very, very slim, but if you're happy with it then i wouldn't bump it up. Bumping up the upper arm can help, too, but will also make it look "baggier"

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

15. kwv07

kwv07 Senior member

Ordered my new light wash denim... Had a tough time deciding between soft ivy and soft roma cutaway. Any thoughts?

Thanks!