Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

What is the advantage or attraction of metal collar stays?

2. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

@bluescholar While I'm not a big collar stay guy, I would stay tuned and look out for an update on this front from us in the near future. We're planning to be switching to brass collar stays standard on all shirts ordered, but I do not yet have the date for when we'll switch over. These shipped this morning from our supplier to our factory, but may take some time to set up. We'll also be selling these on their own on the website, I'd look out for that in a month's time at the latest.

3. bluescholar

bluescholar Active Member

@ccallis Great to hear! I don't always wear collar stays myself and sometimes prefer the comfort of leaving them out but for some meetings and presentations I like to have them in. Thanks for responding! On the subject of collars: any chance that a Stiff Unfused version of the Roma Spread will be available in the near future?

4. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

None! metal stays are evil.

I have seen them poke through the undersides of collar.
    they make the collars look somewhat unnatural.
    the plastic stays have some give.

5. bluescholar

@andy57
    Metal collar stays are not necessary.
    I'm still relatively new here and others might have a different opinion but I'll try to answer your query.

Reasons why I prefer metal stays to plastic stays:
    1. Classic menswear is about classic materials. It's true that polyester, acrylic, nylon, etc are great for hiking and rock climbing apparel, camping gear and other outdoor activities. Synthetic fabrics are great for packing light and being stronger compared to other materials in the same weight. However classic menswear is about using natural materials that came before synthetics were invented. Wool, cotton, silk, linen are preferable to nylon, acrylic, polyester. Similarly leather, metal is preferable to plastic. More classy to wear a metal watch than a plastic one regardless of brand. There might be exceptions but in general it's a good motto to follow for classic menswear to go for products made from natural materials as much as possible.
    2. To me it's the hidden details that no one sees except the owner of the article of clothing that distinguish a truly elegant article of clothing from just a good article of clothing. Assuming you don't roll up the cuffs on your jeans why bother getting a pair of self edge jeans when regular jeans are still functional pants? It's a hidden detail that's a sign of quality. Occasionally you'll see low end garments with high end details. However I'd consider Propercloth a high end brand making a truly elegant product and this is one of the few details that doesn't match their otherwise amazing elegance and quality.
    3. My plastic collar stays tend to get bent over time. My brass ones don't. Menswear isn't always about pure pragmatism and protecting ones body from the elements, being more durable, etc. But it's nice for quality garments to last.

Those are my own reasons. I'm sure there are plenty of well dressed folks more knowledgeable than myself content to only use plastic stays.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

6. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Then use bone or mother-of-pearl. Metal just seems to me to be far too unforgiving to make decent collar stays. The only shirt I've bought from Luxire came with what look like stainless steel stays. I threw them away. As @Shirtmaven said, above, I could easily imagine them going right through the underside of the collar.

Why do your plastic stays get bent? What do you do to them? I've had plastic collar stays in some instances for 20 years. Not bent. I sincerely hope that Proper Cloth makes metal stays optional. @ccallis , are you listening? [​IMG]

7. bluescholar

@Andy57
    I have not tried bone or mother of pearl collar stays. How are they?

To be frank I don't always wear collar stays. I'm wearing a PC shirt with blazer and tie right now but no stays. I like the option of them and having nice ones when I do.

8. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

MOP ones that I have tried are okay. A bit thick. Nothing special. I'll have to try not using collar stays. The number of times I've read people not using them, it intrigues me.

9. Pb924

Pb924 Senior member

try no collar stays

10. hrefab

hrefab Well-Known Member

The only time I use metal collar stays are when I use small magnets to keep the collar points from flying away on non-button down collars. For what it's worth I've never had a metal collar stay poke through my collar.

11. novaeagle

novaeagle Senior member

Getting off topic from arguing about collar stays, of all things...

@ccallis , is PC going to be restocking the madras fabrics any time soon? I love madras in the summer, and it seems like they're all out of stock!

12. Lowndes

Lowndes Senior member

Quick question on measurements. Has anybody mailed in an existing shirt for them to copy measurements from? Would this be the most accurate way to get the fit one wants if they like the way an existing shirt fits? I'm thinking of just going this route and then next time I'm in NYC to swing by to get the fit dialed in.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

13. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

@ccallis Are there any updates regarding the button placement on the front placket? Thanks!

14. AriG

AriG Senior member

"By end of May" for the new button placement function says today's update.

15. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Anyone else have trouble with the arm-hole sizing being too small? If so how did you fix it? In my case, neither Tailored or Standard armholes are working out. We kept letting out the chest/arms until it fit but still not 100% comfortable. I have less than .5" of space with my arms at a natural stance. If I'm sitting at a desk (shoulders forward slightly while typing) its 'wraps' my armpit. This shirt would be my 3rd re-try . Subsequent shirts were ordered 'square' shoulder options but they haven't arrived yet. I'm hoping it'll help the tightness around the shoulder but as far as the armpit goes I may be out of luck. Some pics: https://imgur.com/a/NKI4r

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015