Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Quick Q:

Does anyone have a pic of a casual chambray w/ soft roma collar (unbuttoned)? Im trying to visualize how it'll look. or are most of you going with ivy button down?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

Not the soft roma - but here are my chambrays with Roma Spread

3. Lowndes

Lowndes Senior member

Has anybody gone and been measured in person? If so are they able to dial in the fit pretty quickly that way? I'll be in NYC next month and am thinking of switching from Ascot Chang because of the convenience of ordering and cost savings. Also, do they do a button down collar with a nice roll to it?

4. hrefab

hrefab Well-Known Member

Yes I have, the fit on my first shirt was pretty spot on. If you go back a page you check out the pictures for yourself. I think your best bet for collar roll would be the Soft Ivy Button Down.

5. J1994

J1994 Well-Known Member

Any intentions of providing an option as to shortening the curve on the bottom hem or creating a sort of flat-bottom hem for untucked shirts?

6. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

The Soft Ivy collar is an excellent button-down collar with superb roll to it.

7. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Ahh.. got it

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  8. Andrew Ryan

Andrew Ryan Senior member

@ccallis - what happened to all the beautiful blue end-on-end stripes? You guys seemed to have a lot of them at one point, but all that's left now is the TM blue one (which I already own and is lovely). Just wondering if I can expect a comeback... end-on-ends are probably my favorite.

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

According to your website search you no longer have fabric PCF349 (“Royal Blue Stripe”). Any plans to restock?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

10. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

I'm looking for something with slightly longer collar points than the President Spread. Is the Milano II really as alpha male/CBD inappropriate as the description makes out? Is there another collar type I should be considering?

I also want some shirt length shirts made up - the website says taking 1.5-2" from the tucked in shirt measurement is the way to go, does anyone have advice/experience with this?

Thanks

11. bluescholar

bluescholar Active Member

I have never tried the Milano or Milano II collars but I have a few shirts with the Roma Spread and also with the President Spread. I think the Roma Spread is basically a slightly bigger version of the President Spread. I love how it looks with a regular necktie (as opposed to bowtie) and a blazer. I think it's a big collar but still conservative and office appropriate.

I hope they come out with a Stiff Roma Spread soon.

For some reason I prefer the Roma Cutaway when worn open collar without a tie. Hope that's helpful.

12. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

The Milano II is not CBD inappropriate. This is from St. Paddy's day:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  14. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

What's the consensus on concave/convexe shaped shirt collars regarding their formalness?

EDIT* I agree my question doesn't seems very clear as I'm unaware if there's a proper nomenclature for this - a shirt collar that rounds down and out torward the shoulders (like @Murlsquirl 's Milano II) vs. a shirt collar that starts torward the shoulders then curves downward (like @Sotiris ' Roma Spread).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  15. bigsink

bigsink Senior member

Gent's, looking for a little advice in collar selection.. Im in senior management of a small IT company but <35. While our dress code is pretty lax (but no jeans). I typically wear dress pants and a dress shirt. No tie and president spread collar (from another m2m co).

[​IMG]

However, I realized that casual business culture has shifted dramatically over the past decade. So i'm trying to tone down the formality and introduce sport coats, various texture pants/shirtsm button down collars, and different colors. Something more in line with this guy:

[​IMG]

Apologies for the photos I searched for business casual and its the best I could find. :foo:

That said...I have broad shoulders/chest (43") but a small frame and head. (<7). I've been thinking of the ivy collar, but wondered if it would be too "formal" and "large". The Colorodo collar seems too small for business wear, but I did buy one for casual wear (Weekends). It hasnt arrived yet.

So am I over thinking the collar aspect? The photos of the ivy look huge but I cant really find any good action shots. I expect to wear a sport coat rarely.... a tie never...and I have spread collar shirts for ties if needed. Just wondering if anyone was in the same boat and what did you end up with? Should I just go with the default president spread and call it a day?