• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a white linen shirt for the Caribbean in May? Any styling recommendations as well?

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is there a photo somewhere showing how collar dimensions are measured? I have a shirt, not from Proper Cloth, whose collar I think is perfect for me. I'd love to be able to measure it and figure out which PC collar is closest but I want to make sure I'm measuring it the same way you are. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I tried to search around but couldn't find it if it is.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey All,
Some big news. Last week we deployed a major update to the way we compensate for shrinkage on shirts. I wrote an explanation of how it works here: https://propercloth.com/reference/how-proper-cloth-adjusts-shirt-dimensions-for-shrinkage/

Important changes:
1 - We decreased the Standard Allowances
2 - We are now applying Counter-Shrinkage Adjustments to pretty much every shirt fabric.

The net-result for +90% of orders should be negligible (+/-0.1" sort of changes to how shirts are made).

The benefit though is that for shirts that shrink a meaningful amount, we are now able to adjust the whole shirt more accurately (including the shirt length which we didn't adjust before).

My goal here is for the customer to not have to think about shrinkage at all. Just order any fabric in your size and the shirts should fit the same. We want every shirt to match it's ordered dimensions after 1-2 launderings. We also updated our suggested care instructions to be more specific here: https://propercloth.com/reference/proper-cloth-shirt-care-instructions/.

Other updates:
1 - For orders placed after 2/19, you can now see each of your shirt's "Pre-Wash dimensions" on your order history. This is how the shirt is expected to measure right out of the box when you receive it.
2 - You now have the option to opt-out of Counter-Shrinkage adjustments by changing a setting in your account details. I don't recommend it for most customers, but wanted to give the option.

Let me know if you have any questions.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Hey All,
Some big news. Last week we deployed a major update to the way we compensate for shrinkage on shirts. I wrote an explanation of how it works here: https://propercloth.com/reference/how-proper-cloth-adjusts-shirt-dimensions-for-shrinkage/

Important changes:
1 - We decreased the Standard Allowances
2 - We are now applying Counter-Shrinkage Adjustments to pretty much every shirt fabric.

The net-result for +90% of orders should be negligible (+/-0.1" sort of changes to how shirts are made).

The benefit though is that for shirts that shrink a meaningful amount, we are now able to adjust the whole shirt more accurately (including the shirt length which we didn't adjust before).

My goal here is for the customer to not have to think about shrinkage at all. Just order any fabric in your size and the shirts should fit the same. We want every shirt to match it's ordered dimensions after 1-2 launderings. We also updated our suggested care instructions to be more specific here: https://propercloth.com/reference/proper-cloth-shirt-care-instructions/.

Other updates:
1 - For orders placed after 2/19, you can now see each of your shirt's "Pre-Wash dimensions" on your order history. This is how the shirt is expected to measure right out of the box when you receive it.
2 - You now have the option to opt-out of Counter-Shrinkage adjustments by changing a setting in your account details. I don't recommend it for most customers, but wanted to give the option.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Wait, so if that’s how it’s supposed to measure out of the box are we no longer going to have to worry about the first wash/launder?

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wait, so if that’s how it’s supposed to measure out of the box are we no longer going to have to worry about the first wash/launder?
To clarify, the order history will now let you see two sets of dimensions. "Ordered Dimensions" and "Pre-Wash Dimensions". You can toggle between them there to compare.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
  • We add 0.4″ to the Collar Around dimension
  • We add 0.3″ to the Sleeve Length dimension (long sleeve shirts only)

what were these before?
Before it was 5/8" on collar and 1/2" on sleeve length, with no shrinkage adjustments applied for most dress shirt fabrics. So these Standard Allowances are lower, but we are also compensating all shirts for shrinkage in these dimensions now. So for most dress shirt fabrics, and shirt sizes in the 16 collar, 35 sleeve length range you will get another 0.2" or so added for shrinkage adjustment and end up more or less where you were before.

G.Gatz

Reaction score
Anyone here able to provide their thoughts on knitwear from Proper Cloth?

Interested in the merino and merino/silk garments, but not sure if of how relative in good value it is in comparison to other brands like Suitsupply, S&M, Gran Sasso, etc.

Just looking for something that looks good for daily wear, can handle regular use, and won't need to be replaced every 2-3 years from bad material (assuming proper care and maintenance)

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
I want to give kudos to the team at Proper Cloth on 5th Avenue in NYC. Work finally brought me back to New York now that the UN is holding in-person events again, so I was able to make an appointment to go in and get properly measured before I order more shirts from them.

Luigi, who worked with me, was professional, friendly, and very competent, had me measured in 15 minutes, and is now doing a re-make of one of my most recent shirts to see if the changes he made to my sizing are correct.

I highly recommend going in store and meeting some of their staff if you have the opportunity! For me, being measured in person will always be better than an online consultation, so I was very glad to have the chance to do it yesterday!

harorld

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Wythe Bomber 2.0?

I am in DESPARATE need of a spring jacket before I go on a three week work trip and am wondering if the Wythe Bomber is made well etc etc.

Usonian

Reaction score
Anyone here able to provide their thoughts on knitwear from Proper Cloth?

Interested in the merino and merino/silk garments, but not sure if of how relative in good value it is in comparison to other brands like Suitsupply, S&M, Gran Sasso, etc.

Just looking for something that looks good for daily wear, can handle regular use, and won't need to be replaced every 2-3 years from bad material (assuming proper care and maintenance)

i don't have any experience with merino or silk, but i bought a classic grey cashmere sweater from them in 2015 and i still have it. had two tiny holes in it so far that have been super easily mended by my local drycleaner, but if nothing's changed since then i'd say you'd be totally fine ordering PC knitwear.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Hey all, about to get a pique front formal shirt made up and I was hoping for suggestions on the best cloth to use. I'm a musician and will be using it in a show and I'm looking for both something that can be washed easily on the road and that wears cool, since sometimes performance halls can be on the warm side.

The copy for all the old Esquire fashion plates I love to use for inspo state that one should use a mesh body or fine linen for the shirt for breathability/comfort and I am trying to figure out what cloth option available from PC would best fit that bill. I'm not concerned about drape or appearance, because only the pique front will show since I won't remove my jacket when wearing the shirt; I am solely concerned about comfort and ease of laundering.

What do y'all think, should I opt for one of the linens like the Malibu or Baird McNutt, or one of the very lightweight broadcloths like the Miles or Stanton? My inclination is to go with a linen because it's the quintessiantial summer fabric, and is pretty rugged to boot, but I'm curious to hear others opinions.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I searched and didn't have luck finding it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads