• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teeay

Reaction score
Is there a photo somewhere showing how collar dimensions are measured? I have a shirt, not from Proper Cloth, whose collar I think is perfect for me. I'd love to be able to measure it and figure out which PC collar is closest but I want to make sure I'm measuring it the same way you are. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I tried to search around but couldn't find it if it is.

Cidermonk

Reaction score
I have approximately 10 shirts through Proper Cloth. Over the past three years we have virtually worked on my fit through photos submitted through email. I will be in NYC this weekend, so I was wondering would it be worth stopping by the Proper Cloth store to see if they can assess the fit in person to determine whether additional alterations would be beneficial? Has anyone done this before?

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
I have approximately 10 shirts through Proper Cloth. Over the past three years we have virtually worked on my fit through photos submitted through email. I will be in NYC this weekend, so I was wondering would it be worth stopping by the Proper Cloth store to see if they can assess the fit in person to determine whether additional alterations would be beneficial? Has anyone done this before?
Yes, always a good idea. I primarily make adjustments in person (though note, I used to live in NYC and only recently moved to Philadelphia).

Cidermonk

Reaction score
Yes, always a good idea. I primarily make adjustments in person (though note, I used to live in NYC and only recently moved to Philadelphia).
Do you make an appointment or just show up? Did you visit the Midtown or Soho office?

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Do you make an appointment or just show up? Did you visit the Midtown or Soho office?

It is absolutely worth it. I had a fit I was "mostly fine" with and they improved it. I went to midtown. I'd say call ahead for an appointment just to be on the safe side.

Reaction score
Japanese black watch flannel with soft president spread collar and reverse pleat patch pockets.

View attachment 1878183 View attachment 1878184 View attachment 1878185 View attachment 1878186 View attachment 1878187
Lovely style. I was tempted to get that same fabric. I have a couple PC shirts in black watch plaid, one in their thick japanese country plaid and another linen from their washed indigo series. But the one you got is a more refined take. I wouldn't have thought of those buttons and pockets but looks great! Can completely ignore my comment (internet after all) but I think I'd pair it with a dark tshirt instead of a white one so as not to detract from the lovely black watch pattern.

dtb0408

Reaction score
Long time lurker hoping to receive some advice/help on the details of my first PC shirt. Apologies in advance for the length but I'm a bit obsessive about the details and want to make sure I get it right! Thanks in advance!
  • Needing a covered placket tuxedo shirt to wear with an ivory dinner jacket/tuxedo pants/bowtie for Chicago wedding in May, so the temperature can be all over the place.
  • I think i've settled on Thomas Mason White Fine Twill fabric but would welcome a thumbs up/thumbs down or alternative fabrics I should consider
  • Shirt Options: president spread collar, rounded french cuff, covered placket, no pocket, split yoke, and rounded hem
  • Fit Options (front, side, back profiles if it helps, 6'5'' - 205 lbs.)
    • Watch Allowance: None
    • Shoulder Slope: Sloping Shoulders
    • Forearm: Two Pleats
    • Shoulder / Armpit Fit: Full
      • My initial gut was to go Tailored, but given it will always be worn with a tuxedo jacket (except maybe on the dance floor...) my thought was to go Full for better range of motion but feedback is welcome
    • Rear Pleats: None
      • Considered going side pleats for the same "jacket will always be on" reason
    • Back Darts: Yes
      • I've gone back and forth on this one. Based on the accumulation of excess fabric on my back profile, I'm tempted to opt for darts but feedback is welcome
    • Neck Posture: Standard
    • Chest Posture: Standard
    • Top Button Placement: Standard

tomsocal

Reaction score
Don’t tweak the fit options on your first shirt, go with defaults and use the option to remake if it doesn’t work out. For one you don’t have sloping shoulders. Darts are easily added by a local tailor if you really need them.
Fabric wise I would go with broadcloth or pinpoint instead of twill.

Cidermonk

Reaction score
Long time lurker hoping to receive some advice/help on the details of my first PC shirt. Apologies in advance for the length but I'm a bit obsessive about the details and want to make sure I get it right! Thanks in advance!
  • Needing a covered placket tuxedo shirt to wear with an ivory dinner jacket/tuxedo pants/bowtie for Chicago wedding in May, so the temperature can be all over the place.
  • I think i've settled on Thomas Mason White Fine Twill fabric but would welcome a thumbs up/thumbs down or alternative fabrics I should consider
  • Shirt Options: president spread collar, rounded french cuff, covered placket, no pocket, split yoke, and rounded hem
  • Fit Options (front, side, back profiles if it helps, 6'5'' - 205 lbs.)
    • Watch Allowance: None
    • Shoulder Slope: Sloping Shoulders
    • Forearm: Two Pleats
    • Shoulder / Armpit Fit: Full
      • My initial gut was to go Tailored, but given it will always be worn with a tuxedo jacket (except maybe on the dance floor...) my thought was to go Full for better range of motion but feedback is welcome
    • Rear Pleats: None
      • Considered going side pleats for the same "jacket will always be on" reason
    • Back Darts: Yes
      • I've gone back and forth on this one. Based on the accumulation of excess fabric on my back profile, I'm tempted to opt for darts but feedback is welcome
    • Neck Posture: Standard
    • Chest Posture: Standard
    • Top Button Placement: Standard
Agree that it is best to purchase an initial shirt then make modifications based on the initial fit. Please post pictures to this thread once you get your first shirt!

dtb0408

Reaction score
Don’t tweak the fit options on your first shirt, go with defaults and use the option to remake if it doesn’t work out. For one you don’t have sloping shoulders. Darts are easily added by a local tailor if you really need them.
Fabric wise I would go with broadcloth or pinpoint instead of twill.

Agree that it is best to purchase an initial shirt then make modifications based on the initial fit. Please post pictures to this thread once you get your first shirt!
Thank you both for your input! I followed the advice and will definitely post pics once I receive the shirt.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
mine had the same thing. Arrived in America then spent 20 days experiencing "clearance events" day after day before finally being delivered.
it's due to the MOP buttons and some kind of import restrictions for fair treatment of animals or something.

Sorry for all the delays on these MOP orders here. I like the MOPs and have been a victim as well. We had expanded the promised delivery window to try to try to account for these inspection delays, but it's still annoying when you think the shirt is close and then it doesn't show up.

That said - we will be switching MOP shirts to ship with UPS instead of DHL very soon. Hoping that makes a difference.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I genuinely wonder what customs officers are doing during these events. Opening packages, unfolding shirts and examining the buttons, saying to themselves "Yes those are buttons, alright!" and jotting their findings down on a clipboard?
Me too :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads