• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ever since PC has changed the shirt body length algorithm, I've had an impossible time getting fits right. I care about hem length, especially in the front, because 90% of the time I wear the shirts untucked. I can no longer get the hem lengths accurate. Often they're off by over an inch. Which seems crazy for a company that's now advertising 0.1" precision.

I understand what PC says about the new sizing; I see the measurements in the form; I've confirmed with 3 different people (including Seph) that they don't compensate for shrinkage in the length—which is also crazy, but that's another topic.

Every shirt I've ordered since the change has been longer than I requested in the front, with the exception of one square-hemmed short-sleeve shirt. I'd compensate, except the differences are all over the map, ranging from 1/4" to 1-1/2".

I'm no loner comfortable ordering a shirt. I have 20 PC shirts, and felt very much in control of the process, and now it just feels like gambling. I have a $100 credit with company, thanks to buying so many shirts, and I don't feel comfortable cashing in, because I have no idea what I'm going to get. No one I've written to at the company has indicated that they have any idea what I'm talking about.

@Seph, please help. I want to keep giving you my business but I'm stuck. The last shirt I ordered is a total loss and I don't wish to repeat.

We should be able to solve this - have to look at what fabrics were selected.

I'd like to start compensating for shrinkage on the front/back lengths some time soon. We didn't do it originally because it caused the bottom button position to become too unpredictable, but we've more-or-less solved that now with the more sophisticated button spacing algorithm.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Meant to order some of the limited release denim. Forgot they ended at a weird time and couldn’t get an order in. Any idea when they’ll do another run?

We'll keep doing them every couple months or so. Next cut date isn't planned yet though.

Reactions: EZB

paulraphael

Reaction score
We should be able to solve this - have to look at what fabrics were selected.

I'd like to start compensating for shrinkage on the front/back lengths some time soon. We didn't do it originally because it caused the bottom button position to become too unpredictable, but we've more-or-less solved that now with the more sophisticated button spacing algorithm.

I'm really looking forward to this. I have over $100 in PC credit right now but am waiting to order anything until this can get sorted. It's too much of a gamble right now.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish that other tailored clothing I’m ordering (like pants) would get factored into the Reward Points system. That’s it, that’s my comment. :cool:

tgaith77

Reaction score
First time ordering from Proper Cloth. I picked up a custom Albiate Washed Light Indigo Contrast Thread 80s Denim shirt with a Roma collar and popover style.

The site shows a fairly bleached out denim cloth, with dark navy stitching. Exactly what I was looking for:
992aa661f4eec3c3b65253ccf1f6822e_page_extra.jpg

However, the shirt I got doesn't look much like that at all. The cloth looks similar, if anything a bit darker. But the stitching is definitely not "contrast". In fact, it looks purple:

IMG_8831.jpg
IMG_8832.jpg

So, I'm not sure what happened here. Also, I'll need to double check the measurements, but the shirt is much larger than what I specified; neck, sleeve length and body are all pretty large. I'm guessing it's to allow for shrinkage, but it seems like a lot if so. I see on the site that you should wash the shirt before wearing to ensure the best fit. Either way, I don't think I'm keeping it...overall, bummed out with my first PC purchase.

dman34

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Big PC fan here. The are the dominant shirtmaker in my wardrobe and I probably have about 25 of their shirts now.

I had my sizing dialled in quite nicely up until a year and a half ago but on my last order I noticed a little bit of tightness in various areas. Having a 2nd child during Covid will do that to some I guess :) Unfortunately, the order was for 3 shirts so I ended up with 3 that didn't fit quite right. It's funny though how the shirts can fit depending on the fabric. I ordered a Portuguese Linen that was a bit tight in the armpits but comfortable pretty much everywhere else, a madras shirt that dug into my armpits a bit but was still wearable and then a Reda Wool shirt that dug into my armpits significantly but was also very tight in the chest and bicep.

Disclosure: I am not the easiest of fit, quite muscular up top which presents its own unique challenges.

I got in touch with PC, sent over some photos, explained my issue and they kindly agreed to complete a complimentary remake for me on one of the shirts. We decided on the Reda Wool as it was the worst fitting by far of the bunch and pretty much unwearable. I also explained that I still wanted to maintain a fitted look and didn't; want the shirt to appear baggy.

The PC consultant suggested 2 changes: switch from tailored armpit to very tailored armpit - apparently this would attach the shirt to the body at a lower angle and reduce the tightness in the armpit. She also suggested we increase the chest width .4". Unfortunately, when the shirt arrived it fit worse than the initial shirt I ordered. Very tailored armpit was certainly not the way to go for me as it dug into the armpits even worse than before. Because of the tightness in the armpits, it made the fabric that was added to the chest much more noticeable as it was all now bunching up under the armpits.

I got in touch with PC again and sent more photos. They agreed and agreed to another remake. We switched back to from very tailored armpits to tailored armpits. Kept the .4" chest added, added .4" to sleeve width, added .3" to yoke (to also decrease tightness under armpits) and moved the neck forward another 1/2" ( to help with the pulling at the top button and the length difference between the front and back length of the shirt).

The shirt has now arrived and does fit much better and is certainly much more comfortable under the armpits. It's certainly wearable but I feel it could still be improved as there are now folds of fabric and bunching up around the armpit.

I'm at the stage now where I really want to dial my size in one final time and place an order for some more shirts for the summer. I'm not sure if PC will complete another remake so I thought I would try and get a little input on here as some of you guys certainly seem to know your stuff.

My first thought is that I really did not need to add anything to the yoke as its now extending past the tops of my shoulders and there's too much fabric there.

I've attached a few photos for review. Photos on this message are from my most current remake (#2). Ill post some photos from remake #1 in a separate post below.

Attachments

• remake 2 front.jpg
    remake 2 front.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 177
  • pc remake 2 side.jpg
    pc remake 2 side.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 178
  • pc remake 2 back.jpg
    pc remake 2 back.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 154
  • pc remake 2 armpit bunching 2.jpg
    pc remake 2 armpit bunching 2.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 154
  • pc remake 2 armpit bunching.jpg
    pc remake 2 armpit bunching.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 159

dman34

Reaction score
My first remake that did not work out too well.
On this remake we switched to very tailored armpits from tailored and added .4" to chest
Way too tight in armpit and upper arms.

Attachments

• pc remake 1 armpit tightness.jpg
    pc remake 1 armpit tightness.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 171
  • PC remake 1a.jpg
    PC remake 1a.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 169
  • PC remake 1 back.jpg
    PC remake 1 back.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 389
  • PC remake 1 side.jpg
    PC remake 1 side.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 488

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got this stretch denim shirt from Proper Cloth. Haven't used them in 5 years. I dialed down on the sizing to a tee and I'm more than satisfied with the result. I'm going to wash it now to let it shrink a bit.

2s8AAwU.png

been meaning to ask

what collar is that?

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first remake that did not work out too well.
On this remake we switched to very tailored armpits from tailored and added .4" to chest
Way too tight in armpit and upper arms.

collar sits well... which collar?

dman34

Reaction score
collar sits well... which collar?

yes it does, thanks.

it’s the president spread (non soft version)

I find with their shirts it’s imperative to also get a regular placket (non soft) to help hold up the collar when unbuttoned. Tried a soft president spread with a soft placket once and it was useless. Collar flopped right down.

LThomsen

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. Out of curiosity, what brands of dress shoes are guys wearing with PC clothing ?

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes it does, thanks.

it’s the president spread (non soft version)

I find with their shirts it’s imperative to also get a regular placket (non soft) to help hold up the collar when unbuttoned. Tried a soft president spread with a soft placket once and it was useless. Collar flopped right down.

all my collars are soft...pres and franklin and ivy bd...all soft placket......love them all but none stand up...lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics