• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mux8

Reaction score
No - square shoulders raises the entire armhole

So is there anything we can do to increase armhole dimensions? My shoulders are large and the armhole size squeezes my shoulders when I'm sitting and typing on the computer?

storm_will_pass

Reaction score
Same here... going full shoulder armpit fit instead of tailored helped moderately with mobility, but the armholes are still smaller than I would like.

mux8

Reaction score
Same here... going full shoulder armpit fit instead of tailored helped moderately with mobility, but the armholes are still smaller than I would like.
I think it's actually the opposite that's recommended. The only thing I can see that will reduce this is either increasing sleeve width (which I don't want to do since it makes the shirt arms too big) or increase shoulder slope?

Sammm

Reaction score
I think it's actually the opposite that's recommended. The only thing I can see that will reduce this is either increasing sleeve width (which I don't want to do since it makes the shirt arms too big) or increase shoulder slope?
As far as I understand, armhole size is inextricably linked with chest width and sleeve width. Can’t increase the armhole size without increasing one or both of those.

Last edited:

mux8

Reaction score
As far as I understand, armhole size is inextricably linked with chest width and sleeve width. Can’t increase the armhole size without increasing one or both of those.

Shoulder slope also plays a factor as it states in the PC faq that sloping lowers the armhole cut out. This makes me think that if I have the chest and arm measurements perfect then I can only tweak shoulder slope to increase armhole cutout.

The only other option is to find ultra stretchy fabrics.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Seph

Do you think it likely that at any point you guys will offer different sleeve lengths?

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I wanted to share an update on sleeve widths. We recently implemented a small change to make the elbow slightly wider. This change will affect all orders placed February 19th and later.

The update changes the sleeve shape at the halfway point between cuff and bicep, making the sleeve width 1/16" wider (1/8" fully around) right at the elbow. There is no change to the bicep width or cuff circumference - those will match what you specify as always.

Hopefully this will help to alleviate some of the forearm tightness that some people have been struggling with.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting change that will probably be good. Wearing a light blue twill of yours right now and I can see how that might be more comfortable as I sit here typing.

Thanks for the quick answer on the sleeve length. For what its worth, if you did offer that I would be much more likely to transfer my shirting in whole to you guys as opposed to other MTM shirting that does offer that difference.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Can't get into the details now - but the changes are related to posture adjustments, shirt front lengths and button spacing. When we get this update done we'll also be able to add the straight hem design option.

So does button spacing mean, for instance, that we'll be able to keep the top button (#2 after the collar) in the same place (or adjusted using your 1" higher to 1" lower range) and increase the distance between buttons 3 and 7 so that the 7th button falls closer to the bottom of the shirt like your prior specifications did?

This is essentially what I was asking about a few posts back but I think it got missed. I have older shirts (like pre-2015) where the button spacing was greater than it is now on a shirt with the same overall length.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics