• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mux8

Reaction score
does increasing the cuff width reduce forearm tightness?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good idea or bad idea @Seph :
making a washed denim shirt for my wife

she's got a perfect old j.crew washed chambray popover that's shredding basically at this point but nobody makes one as good these days: the indigo color is different/not to her preference, the details are lame/pedestrian, or it's a full button up (she prefers a popover style). her old one isn't cut with chest darts like some women's shirts so i'm wondering if i can just spec it out like a really small man's shirt, throw on the smallest collar points you've got and call it a day. thoughts?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the specs, it won't go small enough in a few areas. It gets close enough it might be fine (especially since it's a popover so having to pull over the head means there needs to be extra space anyhow).

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.1" adjustments? sewing tolerance is greater then that. shrinkage is more then that.
this is a princess and the pea problem
]
they are currenty at .25 increments.....and I find that is too large.

mux8

Reaction score
If your cuff is 7" do you guys leave the cuff at 9" ? For some odd reason the showroom fitter changed it to 8.5" from the standard 9", which ends up being really tight when working at the computer since the shirt sleeves then ride up to my forearms. It also seems that he mismeasured my sleeve length, as I get a lot of ride up when typing. I'd imagine a 8.75" cuff to be much more suitable. (I don't wear a watch)

paulraphael

Reaction score
]
they are currenty at .25 increments.....and I find that is too large.

0.25” is already optimistic. I don’t think there’s any way PC’s modeling of fabric shrinkage is this precise. Sewing is also imprecise. When I order two shirts with the same dimensions, they’ll differ by more than .25” in a few places.

paulraphael

Reaction score
good idea or bad idea @Seph :
making a washed denim shirt for my wife

she's got a perfect old j.crew washed chambray popover that's shredding basically at this point but nobody makes one as good these days: the indigo color is different/not to her preference, the details are lame/pedestrian, or it's a full button up (she prefers a popover style). her old one isn't cut with chest darts like some women's shirts so i'm wondering if i can just spec it out like a really small man's shirt, throw on the smallest collar points you've got and call it a day. thoughts?

My girlfriend would LOVE some PC shirts. I suspect it’s possible. One of PC’s female sales associates said she wears them, and ordered them without doing anything special.

roostertailedcow

Reaction score
tie_thumb.jpg

? Thank you! Right on time for my next paycheck

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mossrockss I made a oxford shirt for my wife recently by measuring off an old, undarted J Crew shirt that she really likes. I think the fit came out fine.
However she doesn’t like that there’s no option to flip the placket like a standard women’s shirt. Other online MTM shirt companies offer this so it’s not an option that’s impossible to create. It would be nice if PC could offer that.

mux8

Reaction score
another question was anyone else not that impressed with the non-iron supima cotton? Hudson fabric seems better.

cyclemanic

Reaction score

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads