• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh good, have a swatch on the way. The blue looks nicely variegated on the website. Be great to see it in some more colours like pink.
Post pics and/or thoughts of the blue when it arrives. I got white, and if the fabric holds up reasonably well, I'd be quite content having a number of them in my closet.

@Seph +1 to the pink suggestion for sure. I'd advocate for additional variety (butcher, hairline, pencil stripes) in the blend, but a core offering of white/pale blue/pale pink would be excellent. Worth noting I also really liked the wide stripes in the blend over the summer.

pmestrad

Reaction score
Post pics and/or thoughts of the blue when it arrives. I got white, and if the fabric holds up reasonably well, I'd be quite content having a number of them in my closet.

@Seph +1 to the pink suggestion for sure. I'd advocate for additional variety (butcher, hairline, pencil stripes) in the blend, but a core offering of white/pale blue/pale pink would be excellent. Worth noting I also really liked the wide stripes in the blend over the summer.
Which did you get? Considering some of them. Care to share pics?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I like a longer sleeve and a tighter cuff to go with it, but am finding even with three pleat forearms that my combination of cuff and sleeve width measurements results in a elbow/forearm area that is a bit constricted.

Does anyone have an idea of how to correct this? I thought perhaps of adding +0.5" to the cuff measurement, and then having the cuff buttons moved in after the fact by a local tailor. Perhaps this is the best solution?

Measurements/details are:
  • Cuff 7.5
  • Tailored armpit
  • Three pleats
  • Sleeve width 8.25
  • I am a skinny 5'10" with long arms.
Thanks!

Sammm

Reaction score
Hi all

I like a longer sleeve and a tighter cuff to go with it, but am finding even with three pleat forearms that my combination of cuff and sleeve width measurements results in a elbow/forearm area that is a bit constricted.

Does anyone have an idea of how to correct this? I thought perhaps of adding +0.5" to the cuff measurement, and then having the cuff buttons moved in after the fact by a local tailor. Perhaps this is the best solution?

Measurements/details are:
  • Cuff 7.5
  • Tailored armpit
  • Three pleats
  • Sleeve width 8.25
  • I am a skinny 5'10" with long arms.
Thanks!
I’m in exactly the same boat and was going to attempt the same on my next order. I think it should help. I was going to go for +0.25" (in sleeve width and cuff) to play it safe but maybe +0.5" to the cuff is more effective.

Last edited:

Sfroide3

Reaction score
[...]
[...]

That's usually what you do when going OTR ... It's not going to look good.

PC tendency is towards tighter forearm. There is no other direct adjustment than the 3 pleat. Indirect adjustments are sleeve width and sleeve length. When I talked to them about cuff and forearm tightness they assured me that it wasn't related. Changing the cuff width wouldn't change the forearm tightness according to PC ...

I found that forearm can be really tight if the sleeves are just a little bit short. Increasing the sleeve length can help you a lot.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh that is interesting ^^ ...based on the "sleeves should hang unbuttoned to bottom of the V between thumb and forefinger" rule, my sleeves actually could be 0.5-1" longer. I think I will try that. Thanks!

Edit: out of interest, what sleeve width measurement are y'all going for?

Sammm

Reaction score
That's usually what you do when going OTR ... It's not going to look good.

PC tendency is towards tighter forearm. There is no other direct adjustment than the 3 pleat. Indirect adjustments are sleeve width and sleeve length. When I talked to them about cuff and forearm tightness they assured me that it wasn't related. Changing the cuff width wouldn't change the forearm tightness according to PC ...

I found that forearm can be really tight if the sleeves are just a little bit short. Increasing the sleeve length can help you a lot.
It has to be related – if you’d order a 20" cuff, you think the forearm would still be tight?

From what I understand there is a straight taper from the upper-arm sleeve width (X) to the cuff width plus the additional pleat fabric (Y+Z). So increasing Y and/or Z would make for less tight forearms.

For what it’s worth, I’m 6' and skinny with long arms, and I order 8.25" sleeve width and 7.75" cuffs, with three pleats. Sleeve length of 35.25". Upper arm is billowy, the cuffs fit and the forearm is tighter than I’d like, both visually and for comfort. I can’t really roll up my sleeves beyond my elbow for example.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just passing through, and wanted to note what a pleasure to see shirts shipping within days of my order!

I've heard PC will soon be adding some heavy denims, a seasonal favorite for me!
*hoping for olives and reds this year,
but did not hear that.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ericgereghty Did you ever purchase the Milano Soft collar???
Looking for pics in the wild

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which did you get? Considering some of them. Care to share pics?
Sure. Will snap a pic or two tomorrow.
@ericgereghty Did you ever purchase the Milano Soft collar???
Looking for pics in the wild
Arrived earlier in the week. Will give it a whirl tomorrow. Disclaimer that it is unwashed, so the collar is liable to look stiffer than it actually is...

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has to be related – if you’d order a 20" cuff, you think the forearm would still be tight?

From what I understand there is a straight taper from the upper-arm sleeve width (X) to the cuff width plus the additional pleat fabric (Y+Z). So increasing Y and/or Z would make for less tight forearms.

For what it’s worth, I’m 6' and skinny with long arms, and I order 8.25" sleeve width and 7.75" cuffs, with three pleats. Sleeve length of 35.25". Upper arm is billowy, the cuffs fit and the forearm is tighter than I’d like, both visually and for comfort. I can’t really roll up my sleeves beyond my elbow for example.

@Seph any comment on this? :)

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - I agree - a larger cuff circumference will mean a looser forearm.

And just to be clear, there is no other way of achieving a looser forearm, other than three pleats? If so, this is a shame.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
And just to be clear, there is no other way of achieving a looser forearm, other than three pleats? If so, this is a shame.

This is an adjustment that people have been asking PC for years. They don't seem to care about it all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads