1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

I'm about 10 shades short of bronze, but I won't have to worry about chest hair poking through :rotflmao:

2. patliean1

patliean1 Distinguished Member

Any Milano Collars in the wild? And if you could provide your height too that would be helpful LoL.

My current collar measurements from a different shop are similar to that of the Milano Collar, but it's nice seeing actual photos. Thanks in advance

3. DevilInTheDetails

DevilInTheDetails Member

Have you tried the Amalfi Pique shirts? I have not but I get the impression it might be a happy medium between the breathability of Air Tex / Cellulare and the opacity of other fabrics.
    https://propercloth.com/fabrics?search=amalfi

Interesting aside on the breathability of PC fabrics:
    In my experience the Japanese country fabrics are similar in warmth but far more breathable than the Canclini flannels. Not nearly as soft at first but with wear the Japanese country plaids are possibly my favorite for casual winter wear.

4. mossrockss

mossrockss Distinguished Member

5. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

Nice writeup, Mitchell; thanks for sharing it. I've been eyeing PC's tailored stuff for a while.

A question about shoulder sizing: you say the seam straight across to the top of the sleeve head (a la PC) is longer than a seam angling back over the shoulder (a la Eidos). It's the opposite, though, isn't it? Straight across would be shorter than angling back.

I just want to get my numbers right. And I'm not in Eidos (or other Italian-made brand) price range, so I have nothing in front of me for a frame of reference.

6. mossrockss

I'll post a pic. the measurement isn't of the seam itself, but of the distance across the jacket from one shoulder to the other. Since the top of the sleevehead is going to be the widest point of the jacket, and then the armhole curves inward, that distance will be wider at the top, and shorter an inch or two down.

7. saskatoonjay

Perfect explanation. No picture needed.

With those kind of writing chops you should consider blogging.

8. mossrockss

sorry you get a pic anyway.
    an Eidos NMWA cut jacket, with the seams traveling back down toward the back. The measurement across the widest point at the top of the sleevehead would be maybe a quarter inch more on either side. Making a half inch difference total.
    IMG_1609.jpeg

9. mactire

mactire Senior Member

I too have worries of a patch of chest hair being visible through pale shirts, #metoohirsute

10. ericgereghty

Not terribly informative, but here’s one. I really like the Milano. Hoping and praying for a soft one to be added into the selection.

C6CA25A8-E228-4B5E-B8FD-D1AB85852E94.jpeg

11. patliean1

patliean1 Distinguished Member

12. ericgereghty

Sure thing. Help start a rallying cry for a soft/softer version :cool2:

13. saskatoonjay

I trust Seph and his team know exactly what they’re doing and I’m a loyal PC customer, but for years I’ve been wishing they’d just have “fused or soft” as a design option for every one of their collars.

14. cyclemanic

cyclemanic Active Member

@ericgereghty that looks really good. Which fabric is that by the way?

15. ericgereghty

Thanks. I definitely advocate the Milano. Hmmmm don't quite recall. It was 100% a wrinkle resistant fabric, which, given the benefit of hindsight, I would not recommend unless you absolutely cannot abide wrinkles. It does mostly accomplish that goal, but breathe-ability is severely inhibited.