• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Looks good @Burzan! I've been on the fence about what to try from their tailored collection or whether to wait for this new program, but this looks nice. Gonna have to check it out at some point.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say I"m terrible intrigued by it. Have had big enough fit issues that I question online MTM (MTO is a nonstarter). The price point would have to be something truly outrageous to seriously warrant consideration. Given that it's $600 for RTW for half-canvassed, the price point ain't there for me.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say I"m terrible intrigued by it. Have had big enough fit issues that I question online MTM (MTO is a nonstarter). The price point would have to be something truly outrageous to seriously warrant consideration. Given that it's $600 for RTW for half-canvassed, the price point ain't there for me.
I was excited about the new PC made to measure, but I think I’m in the same boat as you, Eric. SuitSupply’s purple line is really my ceiling, financially.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How closely do the measurements match those listed on the site?

I'll have to check but I believe they are quite close. I went against another jacket when I chose my size and when it arrived everything fit as I suspected.

Looks good @Burzan! I've been on the fence about what to try from their tailored collection or whether to wait for this new program, but this looks nice. Gonna have to check it out at some point.

It's worth looking into if you like the cut and the fit works out well for you as it did for me. I'm quite curious about the custom program now.

Yeah that's fair. I do believe the current half canvas offerings are around $500 though.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Are any of the shirt fabrics at proper cloth see-through? I had this problem with other brands before so really trying to avoid.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Are any of the shirt fabrics at proper cloth see-through? I had this problem with other brands before so really trying to avoid.
Hey Frank. When you click on a shirt or fabric, scroll down to Fabric Details and look at the Opacity Rating. It’s a number from 1-5. Just pick a fabric with a high number to avoid see-through shirts. It’s easy.

Often user reviews will mention if there’s a problem with transparency, too.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was excited about the new PC made to measure, but I think I’m in the same boat as you, Eric. SuitSupply’s purple line is really my ceiling, financially.
There's definitely no malice in the assessment, for what it's worth. I've just had fit issues with PC (mostly minor, to be sure) that would make me hesitant to take the plunge with tailored wear, especially already having established patterns with other makers.
That issue would require the price to be extremely customer friendly for me to really consider it...

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's definitely no malice in the assessment, for what it's worth. I've just had fit issues with PC (mostly minor, to be sure) that would make me hesitant to take the plunge with tailored wear, especially already having established patterns with other makers.
That issue would require the price to be extremely customer friendly for me to really consider it...
I hear you: that’s too much to pay and risk fit issues. And for me it’s more than I can justify spending, even if the fit is perfect.

Viserys

Reaction score
As there are many ProperCloth experts users, I'll try to aks this here.

I'm making my mind into ordering a shirt from them but I've the fear that I'll end up choosing a fabric which is either too thin, filmsy or that shrinks like hell.

Could someone be so kind to recommend me a decent white shirting from their catalogue? I'm looking for a winter-weight soft material, possibly a plain weave like twill or poplin, that has a good heft.

Thanks!

Creasy729

Reaction score

I'm making my mind into ordering a shirt from them but I've the fear that I'll end up choosing a fabric which is either too thin, filmsy or that shrinks like hell.

Could someone be so kind to recommend me a decent white shirting from their catalogue? I'm looking for a winter-weight soft material, possibly a plain weave like twill or poplin, that has a good heft.

Thanks!

Any of the Thomas Mason white twill fabrics are good choices, and they have some that are heavier weight (particularly the wrinkle resistant versions) and resistant to shrinking (so long as you properly care for them). I myself have the Thomas Mason wrinkle resistant twill in white, and the shirt has held up well and is definitely a heavier weight.

If you want something less pricey, I would stick with their twill selections, since that sounds like what you are looking for (poplin is pretty breezy in my experience). It looks like they have some decent options around $100 that are medium weight, white, and twill. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with any of those fabrics.

Compared to other sites, I have found that proper cloth descriptions of fabrics tend to be pretty trustworthy, so if sort by weight, color and weave, you should get an option along the lines of what you are looking for.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of the Thomas Mason white twill fabrics are good choices, and they have some that are heavier weight (particularly the wrinkle resistant versions) and resistant to shrinking (so long as you properly care for them). I myself have the Thomas Mason wrinkle resistant twill in white, and the shirt has held up well and is definitely a heavier weight.

If you want something less pricey, I would stick with their twill selections, since that sounds like what you are looking for (poplin is pretty breezy in my experience). It looks like they have some decent options around $100 that are medium weight, white, and twill. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with any of those fabrics.

Compared to other sites, I have found that proper cloth descriptions of fabrics tend to be pretty trustworthy, so if sort by weight, color and weave, you should get an option along the lines of what you are looking for.
Agreed: my dressiest white shirt is a twill I've been wearing for two years. It's a cavalry twill that Proper Cloth doesn't carry anymore, but I'd trust any of their twills to have the opacity and weight Viserys is looking for.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

my mercer white pinpoint oxford is amazing..hefty yet fine iN summer as well..PRICED WELL TOO.....and Im crazy picky re cloths

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bedford basketweave out again

2018-07-04 14.29.43_edited.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads