1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors, Mangue Lucy and Sons of Henrey We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Mangue Lucy, an international design collaboration based in Milan that focuses on creating fine ready-to-wear, sourcing top-quality materials and working with exceptional production facilities in Italy to offer honest, modern, and quality casual-wear, and Sons of Henrey a contemporary footwear brand, committed to producing a shoe of timeless elegance, at exceptional value.

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

Any folks here have linen shirts (or blends) with fused collars? If so, thoughts?

2. sid11111

sid11111 Well-Known Member

Avoid. I expect that you're getting linen for its permeability. With fusing, you kill all of it by funking up the collar with glue.

3. macjedi

macjedi Senior Member

I have a few of both and prefer fused over the soft when wearing tailored clothing.

If the linen or linen-cotton is real lightweight, the soft collar gets misshapen and crumbles under my jacket. The linen-cotton oxfords do well with a soft collar though ... wearing one today with a jacket and tie.

For the 'Redondo' and 'Grandi and Rubinelli' I went with the President Spread II Collar, Soft One Button Cuff and No Placket. If I wear them tieless, I roll the collar between my thumb and finger to get a bit of a soft roll ... like you get with the soft collar. Hope this helps.

4. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

Definitely helpful. A picture of the oxford linen blend would be awesome. Those were what I was eyeing. I was planning to try a Redondo with a fused collar, as well, so glad to hear your thoughts.

5. benjamin831

benjamin831 Distinguished Member

PC should have an option to get rid of the gaulet button. So much easier to iron

6. ny3pcg

ny3pcg Senior Member

I’ve yet to buy shirts from PC that aren’t worn with a tie. For this particular fabric (pindot print broadcloth) https://propercloth.com/fabrics/white-and-navy-pindot-print-2523.html
    would you all go with a soft unfused collar such as the soft President spread or go with the fused version? I’d be wearing it with or without a sport coat and jeans. As always thanks for the advice.

7. cp3

cp3 Senior Member

Definitely soft. Their soft collars still have structure via the interlining and hold up under jackets. For a casual fabric like that pindot it would be less versatile with a hard collar imo.

You can reset the collar throughout the day to help it stand, see: Eidos Napoli

8. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior Member

based on what u said

Id go soft....

also consider the ivy bd, and the colorado too

9. ny3pcg

ny3pcg Senior Member

Thank you for the feedback. Is the soft president spread unmanageabe if it’s not under a jacket? I tend to prefer no buttons on the collar but unfortunately I see that the hidden button option only comes in the fused version.

10. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior Member

I have tonsa soft ivy's, and almost tonsa soft pres'

the soft pres spreads when opened w/o tie have no ''stand up" qualities at all. I barely wear them due to this.....to floppy. I prefer the soft franklin as it is a bit smaller and handles itself better

re soft pres:w/ a tie they look very nice and almost sprezzy

11. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior Member

Ive asked for yrs!!!!!....gaunt butt is just so ...MACYS...lol

12. cp3

cp3 Senior Member

Apologies, should have noted my experience is with the roma cutaway which may "stand" more than others because of its spread. I highly recommend this collar for casual looks but some find it too forward.

Definitely go with a normal placket and not french if you want your collar to stand.

The look books are a good resource for seeing examples: https://propercloth.com/collections/joshua-tree#8 . You can double check the particular collar below the gallery for individual shirts. They do suggest soft details for your preferred fabric.

Still believe that fabric would look odd with a fused collar though. You could also use a little starch if it bothers you, although that is probably not SF approved.

13. cp3

cp3 Senior Member

+ 1 would save on construction costs even.

14. ny3pcg

ny3pcg Senior Member

Have you tried the soft President with a normal placket and it still doesn’t stand up?

15. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior Member

I use a french front...no placket

nope..never stands up...ever.....Im always pulling on collar thru the event/evening