• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had durability issues with their PC shirts? I'm seeing some pretty noticeable fraying at cuffs/collar, which is something I'm only just starting to see on shirts I've owned for upwards of 2-3x as long.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes.......Ive had some issues....cuffs wearing way too fast

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it's more the collar. In fairness, I take my shirts to a local cleaners, which I'm going to stop, which will alleviate some issue, but it isn't a great sign for the longevity of a PC shirt in my opinion.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haven’t had problems with construction, just MoP buttons chipping. No problem with the cheaper resin ones though

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never wear a tie or button up the collar......and I wash myself 40% of the time....that helps........

but cuffs usually for me last 6 yrs!...lol......PC shirts maybe 2 yrs.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@venividivicibj I've experienced both. This really doesn't concern me that much. **** happens, and the buttons are covered.
@shirtsnob that's my timeline as well. At least I know I'm not alone lol.

fourspin

Reaction score
I got my PC remake in the mail this week. Here are some pics after wearing tucked in for a few hours, hence the wrinkles. Also, my cuff wasn't seated properly over my watch, so it is flaring a bit, but it does clear the watch normally. Per @Shirtmaven suggestion, I changed to one piece yoke and added .25 of adjustment for sloping shoulders (should I add more on my next shirt?). Other changes I made were slimming the yoke and the midsection by .25", changed to tailored shoulder/armpit, and added a second pleat at the cuff. Wondering if I should dare to go any slimmer in the sleeve and the midsection, or if that is tempting fate.

IMG_3936.jpg IMG_3938.jpg IMG_3940.jpg IMG_3942.jpg

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the mailing list email that came today—"Seph's Fall Favorites." It's the kind of personal touch that drew me to Proper Cloth three years ago. Does anyone remember Features like "Soft Collars and Coffee" and "Here Is New York?" They were stories that I wanted to inhabit, so I got fitted and ordered a shirt. And another, and another...

I had just decided my next shirt would come from a rising Canadian MTM company, but this missive from Seph makes me want to stay with PC.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my PC remake in the mail this week. Here are some pics after wearing tucked in for a few hours, hence the wrinkles. Also, my cuff wasn't seated properly over my watch, so it is flaring a bit, but it does clear the watch normally. Per @Shirtmaven suggestion, I changed to one piece yoke and added .25 of adjustment for sloping shoulders (should I add more on my next shirt?). Other changes I made were slimming the yoke and the midsection by .25", changed to tailored shoulder/armpit, and added a second pleat at the cuff. Wondering if I should dare to go any slimmer in the sleeve and the midsection, or if that is tempting fate.

View attachment 874207 View attachment 874208 View attachment 874209 View attachment 874210

shirt looks good..........but I cant believe it stays tucked...its very slim and kinda short.....looks perfect untucked.

Id open hips and make it longer yes.......but thats subective..open a forearms a bit too

what collar is it?

fourspin

Reaction score
shirt looks good..........but I cant believe it stays tucked...its very slim and kinda short.....looks perfect untucked.

Id open hips and make it longer yes.......but thats subective..open a forearms a bit too

what collar is it?

@shirtsnob Collar is soft president. Are you saying the hips are too narrow because of the placket splayed open? I think the wind caught it and pulled it open. Here are a few more shots. I held my finger up to show where my waist is on the jeans I'm wearing (these are Levis and they do have a slightly higher rise, probably 10.5 inches, and some denim I wear is probably 9.5-10 inches). The shirt seems to stay tucked just fine. But I do have extra material when I tuck, which is why I thought maybe slimming it in the midsection might help...or maybe darts? Also, do you think it would help to raise the top button by 1/2"?

IMG_4057.jpg IMG_3999.jpg IMG_4026.jpg IMG_4018.jpg

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
darts will help a bit......i use them on my PC shirts....

I think the shirt is trim enough..........based on your pics.

I must say several of my well fitted PC shirts still have that extra cloth in rear....

most of my shirts are soft franklins and Pres......I like them....but I feel the rear of the collar rides too hi on my neck.....or maybe the front rides too lo......lol.....and they just dont "sit" in relaxed position well........they are kinda "flat"

oh! I do raise the top button on all my pc shirts....this way I can keep it open and my t shirt doesnt show.

fourspin

Reaction score
I'm itching to get the Japanese Blackwatch plaid, anyone have interesting discount codes and/or know if there will be a Black Friday discount beyond free shipping?

bluescholar

Reaction score
For me, it's more the collar. In fairness, I take my shirts to a local cleaners, which I'm going to stop, which will alleviate some issue, but it isn't a great sign for the longevity of a PC shirt in my opinion.
Back in the day this was a desirable shirt feature among young well dressed lads. They would go so far as to lightly sand their collars to fray and prematurely age them. Not sure if they did it for their cuffs or not. For some of PC's shirts I actually like them better with age but to each their own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads