Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. oldschoolcool

oldschoolcool Active Member

Hi all,

Was wondering what pocket style you choose for your OCBDs? Rounded or Angled? Thanks!

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

None

3. djs5150

djs5150 Well-Known Member

Do any of you guys wear the Presidential Spread collar without a tie under a jacket? Or, even no tie and no jacket? I wonder if the collar would flare too much for that. I saw a picture of a politician wearing a spread collar and no tie and it flared out BAD! Any pictures you guys have would be greatly appreciated too. I really appreciate the assistance I get on here.

4. djs5150

I prefer the rounded or none look.

5. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior member

I've tried a soft President without a jacket/tie and it does flare out. I like the idea but in practice probably prefer a soft Ivy BD for that situation.

6. djs5150

Thanks for the reply. I was actually talking about the stiff version. Which if the soft version I would imagine the stiff one does as well? Any experience?

7. oldschoolcool

I have the stiff version (president spread v.2) and it stands up much better than the original version. I rarely wear it without a tie, but for the times that I have worn it open, it has held up well.

8. djs5150

Do you ever wear it without a tie AND without a jacket? If so, do you get a lot of flare?

9. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior member

Same here.

10. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

PC still missing the boat on pique popovers - huge loss of sales opportunity there...

11. oldschoolcool

To be honest i use the stiff president spread collar for my suit shirts. They normally are worn with a tie and jacket. I have worn it under a jacket without a tie and it has held up pretty well. I can't say i have worn it without a jacket however. If I was looking for a shirt to wear without a tie or jacket I would probably opt for an unstructured collar - the soft ivy button down would hold up well unbuttoned.

12. oldschoolcool

13. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

huge?......not so sure about huge

14. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

What's your understanding of their cost model, particularly the fixed vs. variable component? How many customers that have nailed a fit/pattern wouldn't also like a few pique popovers in some basic colors - colors that could safely be purchased in large volume with commensurate pricing? What would the incremental marketing costs be to generate those sales?

15. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

Ive been involved in the fashion world for over 40 yrs...basically in /around the NYC area........perhaps in our small world here on SF it may seem a popover to be widely used/desired.......yet my experience and my visuals say a popover is not a big want by the masses..

In my opine, PC is not missing a big boat here.........they are missing something yes.....but not big by my measure...........and of course I could be wrong

A few of us wanted a no guantlet button option...not very costly u would think right?.....PC said no