Proper Church wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by i10casual, Oct 5, 2009.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Church is a fun place for me to try all sorts of wear as there really is no dress code (at least the church I go to).
    Some days I wear a blazer with a nice pair of pants. Some days I wear my streetwear ensemble with rrl jeans and sorts. It don't matter what you wear as long as you try to dress your best.
    Just don't go in flip flops a tshirt you wore after mowing the lawn and hair right from bed. Just don't be disrespectful.

2. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

I should take a picture of the dress code sign at my church. They have three pictures of inappropiate dress for females which consists of short shorts, miniskirts & bare midriffs. Inappropiate attire for a guy consists of swim trunks and not wearing a shirt.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^I'd love to see a picture of it. I've never seen a dress code sign at a church like that.

4. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

It was always very bad manners to decline if the priest asked you to polish the organ.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

It was inappropriate for that person to remark you looked like a choir boy.
    If he does it again, rebuke him by saying 'I was raised to wear my 'sunday best' to show respect to the Lord Jesus.' Walk away with humility. Then forgive the bastard and don't talk with him again.

6. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

The Missouri synod is the one I have found as dressing the most formal. Wisconsin a bit less and ELCA even less.

Yeah, I was going to say that the more liturgical the service, the more formal the garb.

Not quite- formal does not equal serious. MaoMao is often dressed "formally" but never seriously.

The Wisconsin synod has a strong pietistic streak that prefers sleekly stark liturgical services. The ELCA (often) has a more elaborately symbolic liturgical service. In neither are people particularly formally dressed, but in the Wisconsin synod pews people are dressed as if they were more serious.

The Wisconsin synod was where my theories of Church Pants were crystallized, when my crazy cousin, over the bourbon and stories, said she had to wear them- and the next morning there she was in all her black panted glory. And so were most of the men. I was in a blue jacket and white incotex, once again one of the outsiders.

7. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

Thanks for all the advice. I think I get it now. The church is on the "better" side of town and most of the other men I see look well off. I see this as a way to possible opportunities in my daily business life. I just don't want to dress too over the top or too casual. I would prefer a dress shirt and chinos with quoddy mocs and a manly cardigan. It is Sunday morning...

8. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

Thanks for all the advice. I think I get it now. The church is on the "better" side of town and most of the other men I see look well off. I see this as a way to possible opportunities in my daily business life. I just don't want to dress too over the top or too casual. I would prefer a dress shirt and chinos with quoddy mocs and a manly cardigan. It is Sunday morning...

Why do so many people post on this board asking for advice and then just completely ignore it?

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I should take a picture of the dress code sign at my church. They have three pictures of inappropiate dress for females which consists of short shorts, miniskirts & bare midriffs. Inappropiate attire for a guy consists of swim trunks and not wearing a shirt.

[​IMG]

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^ I thought this was a forum that promoted appropriate attire.

11. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

12. UncivilizedThoughts

UncivilizedThoughts Well-Known Member

I'd say wear something that is respectful so no "graphic" graphic tees but at the same time you want to make sure you're dressed appropriately for the remainder of the day. Once church is finished you'll probably do something extra curricular so a respectable dress shirt and khakis should do the trick.
    Hope this helps!

13. itsme

itsme Member

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I was raised in a household where we dressed for dinner, even at home, so suiting up for church wasn't any big deal. I married a Missouri Synod preacher's kid, and quickly was taught that God doesn't really much care what his flock is wearing.

Dress to hit the high-middle of the anticipated congregation: don't stick out for your casualness nor for your stuffiness.

15. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I was raised in a household where we dressed for dinner, even at home,
    That sounds so surreal, so everybody would go change when dinner is about to start, then 20 or so minutes later when the meal was done they'd change back into normal clothes? I've heard of that in movies, I just never visualized it.