Proper Church wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by i10casual, Oct 5, 2009.

1. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

On a more serious note. I have not been to church except for a few Catholic things but as far as I'm aware, you are expected to dress like Captain Peacock.

2. eg1

eg1 Senior member

On a more serious note. I have not been to church except for a few Catholic things but as far as I'm aware, you are expected to dress like Captain Peacock.

I am unfamiliar with this expression -- whatever does it mean? [​IMG]

3. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Can a few of you please help me.?

I am starting to go to Church (Lutheran) with my new wife. I'm pretty much a heathen and have not spent a lot of time in this type of atmosphere. What do you guys wear?

Yesterday I went with a simple white button down, dark navy slacks, and Clarks. One of the head guys told me I looked like I belonged in the choir. It seems they all dress in black & white. A lot of guys where in polo shirts, but that is no fun.

I was told by someone at the church that it is considered "appropriate" to wear shorts and flipflops to church. In fact, I was specifically told not to wear a sportcoat... [​IMG]

4. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I do have some further theological thoughts on the matter, but I will keep them to myself for the time being.

Go ahead. Enlighten us...

5. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

It took me -years- to figure out church pants.

What are church pants?

6. Drydis Greis

Drydis Greis Senior member

I am starting to go to Church (Lutheran) with my new wife. I'm pretty much a heathen and have not spent a lot of time in this type of atmosphere. What do you guys wear?

Yesterday I went with a simple white button down, dark navy slacks, and Clarks. One of the head guys told me I looked like I belonged in the choir. It seems they all dress in black & white. A lot of guys where in polo shirts, but that is no fun.

It is a reference to the 70's "Britcom", Are you being served?

7. kuwisdelu

kuwisdelu Senior member

I have no idea how Lutherans operate, but last time I went to church was to support my Catholic girlfriend; I wore a blue suit with a subdued PoW pattern and a grey odd vest over a white shirt and simple navy/burgundy striped tie. There were varying degrees of formality from others in full suits to some in jeans and work shirts.

I wouldn't want to attend a church with a "no sport coat" rule O_O

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

[​IMG]

- B

9. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I found a better picture of him. I actually was thinking this would be good church wear as well. I'd change below by giving him a higher Edwardian collar.

[​IMG]

10. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

Captain Peacock also wears morning trousers but plain mid-grey would also do.

11. Chips

Chips Senior member

I once wore Office Pants to church, God smote me with boils and leprosy. But I got better.

12. wingin' it

wingin' it Senior member

Some pretty good jokes both here and a few other posts today. Enjoyed quite a few, must be a good Monday. I can add some personal experience to this topic. "Lutherans" doesn't quite define what to wear. The Missouri synod is the one I have found as dressing the most formal. Wisconsin a bit less and ELCA even less.

I attend a Missouri Synod and very few men or even boys do not wear a suit and tie on Sunday. Most suits are fairly conservative and a few sport coats are in the mix as well. Add a sport coat, a tie, or both and you should be fine.

If that doesn't work, you could always go for the underwear over your shirt approach.

13. comrade

comrade Senior member

14. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

The Missouri synod is the one I have found as dressing the most formal. Wisconsin a bit less and ELCA even less.

Yeah, I was going to say that the more liturgical the service, the more formal the garb.

15. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

You could always solve the dilemma by going in to the office on Sunday mornings while your wife goes to church.

[​IMG]