Proper Blazer Fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lookatmystyle, Mar 5, 2008.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I want my coats to look modern and stylish, so I prefer a 6-inch lapel.
    -- Many guys, late 1970s.

Fashion is fickle. Wear what you like now, but bear in mind that the styles that stray far from the norm often look silly in retrospect. The extremely low gorge was once the height of style.

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Isn't a blazer not supposed to fit well? Part of what distinguishes it from a suit?

I don't know where this notion came from but it is entirely inaccurate.

Fit, above all else, is the most important aspect.

As far as jacket length, it is all a matter of how "fashionable" the wearer desires. Classic teaching states a jacket should at least cover the butt. Current trend, highly evident from the likes of Thom Browne, is for the super short jacket. This current fashion trend for the shorter jacket is why GQ is featuring the picture from the OP. Be aware that GQ offers its reader what is currently hot in fashion, as dictated by the designers that advertise in its magazine.

As someone already said, proper jacket length is an individual and unique entity. Its aim is to achieve a well-proportioned look that maximize the stylishness of the wearer. A properly fitted jacket should maximize the leg length. Shorter men should have as short a jacket as possible.

3. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

As my wife would say, "It's all about your ass."

If I wanted my ass to be inspiring to her then I'll wear something in the style of denim jacket or baseball jacket (well fitting bespoke trousers are a must).

Otherwise, for me a blazer should cover my gluteal folds.

- M

4. Coho

Coho Senior member

[​IMG] IF you're 18, WTH do you want to look "youthful"?

I have a yves saint laurent blazer that is quite short, like around my wrist. I the length alot, since I wear it with jeans, and I am only 18, so I want to make it look more youthful, and not older man like.

5. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

[​IMG] IF you're 18, WTH do you want to look "youthful"?

I wear a blazer around my peers who are wearing sweat pants and hoodies. I am trying to make it look at fashion forward as possible. I think a blazer looks great with jeans, but it has to be shorter than something you would wear with khaki's or dress pants. I just tend to look for a more youthful since I am 18, and I want to get away with dressing well.

6. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

If you want it to be more fashionable, but still kind of "presentable" you should probably have it just go over your ass, but go no further. That would be a happy medium that probably wouldn't go out of fashion in a year.

7. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

After the TF fiasco I thought it may be helpful to have a thread depicting the proper jacket fit; perhaps this thread will do. Please contribute pictures. To start, what is the evaluation on the fit in the attached....

8. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

After the TF fiasco I thought it may be helpful to have a thread depicting the proper jacket fit; perhaps this thread will do. Please contribute pictures. To start, what is the evaluation on the fit in the attached....

Those are some intense shoulders.[​IMG]

9. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Yes, the style of that jacket is a bit exaggerated, but I think the fit is correct. Here is another from the same tailor that is slightly less extreme...

10. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

Yes, the style of that jacket is a bit exaggerated, but I think the fit is correct. Here is another from the same tailor that is slightly less extreme...

Hmm, to me it looks like the jacket is a little long and/or the pockets are placed too high. I think the style would benefit from being a little shorter with a bit more flare in the skirt.

11. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Those shoulders are so comical, they look girlish. Also, something is clearly wrong with the height of that chest pocket, just look at it's position compared to the second suit (the second suit is much better in both regards.) I will say that the second suit jacket looks too long if you go by the rule of thumb about curling your fingers underneath it (which I personally prefer.) The short blazer length in that GQ pic looks just fine with jeans, but weird on an actual suit and with dress pants.

12. GucciKid

GucciKid Senior member

Hmm, to me it looks like the jacket is a little long and/or the pockets are placed too high. I think the style would benefit from being a little shorter with a bit more flare in the skirt.

Agreed and agreed. A bit too long and the pockets are a bit too high for my taste.

13. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Virtually nothing should fit the way it appears in a GQ article.

Well-said!

14. Felix Krull

Felix Krull Senior member

Well-said!

I second this declaration! GQ is a bastion of obscene fashion fantasy. I have never seen an important man dressed like he was attuned to any trends displayed in GQ.