• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Blazer Fit

lookatmystyle

Reaction score
Is a blazer supposed to be this short like in this GQ article? Or should the length of a blazer / suit jacket totally cover your rear like these Ocean's 12 guys? What length is right? SHORT BLAZER GQ
00002f.jpg
LONGER SUIT COATS
oceans12.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The tradition is for the jacket to cover your rear. Lately (or really going back several years now) some designers have been making coats much shorter.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lookatmystyle
What length is right?

The one that achieves the look you want, when you see yourself in the mirror.

Classically, if one plays by the book, it should bisect the body, which corresponds roughly to just covering your backside or hitting around halfway up your thumb, standing normally. All those commonly quoted rules of thumb (pardon the pun) are just that - what's right FOR YOU may well vary for both proportion and desired effect/style reasons.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall an old AAAC thread showing DB blazers worn different ways. One way was quite short, but I'm not sure if there are similar examples for SB blazers.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Virtually nothing should fit the way it appears in a GQ article.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
To the OP: manton already answered this. If you need your jacket to be traditional it should cover your rear, otherwise feel free to indulge in wearing whatever looks good to your eye. For what its worth I have a sportscoat that ends at the waist.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lookatmystyle
Doesn't this guy look a little silly with the blazer so short?

00002f.jpg

He also appears to be levitating. Why does it matter to you what GQ says in the first place?

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I'm all for shorter than traditional length blazers. But the GQ one is way too short. It may look fine from the front, but from the back.........
weirdbumrm5.jpg

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^Looks like a Glennie. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

OT, but can you imagine an EG circumcision?

raiderbuck

Reaction score
I actually like the shorter blazer. But then again, I'm not into classic styling. I like shorter, trimmer cuts.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't a blazer not supposed to fit well? Part of what distinguishes it from a suit?

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a yves saint laurent blazer that is quite short, like around my wrist. I the length alot, since I wear it with jeans, and I am only 18, so I want to make it look more youthful, and not older man like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads