• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper attolini fit

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on Attolini suit.. I tried 44R and 42R. Most definetly, Attolini had the highest arm hole in any suits I have experience thus far. That said, when I tried on 44R, I felt it was nice and snug .. still I can see my upper arm bulging out little bit. Â When i tried on 42R, it fitted tight. Â I was not wearing any dress shirts, just wearing thin t-shirts and the jacketed fitted real tight. Â I can see the back seam ripples and under arm seam had kink. Â but waist line looked much better on 42R. I mean .. it is hard to describe all in words. Â but I am going to order Attolini on ebay soon .. and I was hoping some of you experts can give me help here.. BTW, this is the one like thus far: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws....97&rd=1 Thank you.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll tell ya....I have one Attolini (Sartoria, of course) in navy blue, with a french blue pinstripe. Great suit, superb construction. With the exception of the jacket being a little longer than most 42regs I've ever seen, the construction is pretty impressive. the buttoning of the trouser configuration is particularly interesting. The chest and shoulders seemed pretty standard, but the high armholes did take a little getting used to (as did the slight puff of the neopolitian shoulders at the sleeve head). The three button model seems to roll very naturally down to 2 buttons, the hand stitching is pretty plain to everyone that sees the suit, and the fishmouth shaped breast pocket is pretty neat.

I only wish....I could feel comfortable taking 1/2" off the jacket length somehow.

kidkim2

Reaction score
Looks like a beautifully crafted suit.  I like the high arm holes.  But the shoulders resemble those on my Brioni MTM (much too much padding for my taste) and the lapels appear to be notched at the wearer's earlobes.  (This might actually work on a normal-sized torso, but for the over-elongated. . . .)

rsp1

Reaction score
kidkim2 - I'm actually glad you brought up the lapel notches. Could you expand on your thoughts here. I particularly liked the fact that they were this high, unlike most other suits. It was my impression that a "proper" suit had much higher lapel notches (close to, or at, the neck) than usually found in the US.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like the size 42 does not fit.

The appearance of the shoulder in that picture has more to do with the mannequin than shoulder padding. It's probably a very lightly padded shoulder.

A high gorge is elongating. I like it, but I like it in conjunction with a shorter jacket. Many Italian brands, including Castangia and Attolini, like to combine a high gorge with a longer than usual jacket, for a VERY long look. I compensate by wearing a regular length, which looks perfect.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also like high gorges on my jacket lapels. And, it just so happens that I also like the jackets short. It's a good combination to wear if you're shorter.

water

Reaction score
I always check this seller's auctions as I keep hoping to latch onto a plain navy 40R with flat front trousers.

I am very surprised that the majority of the Attolini suit trousers seem to be double-pleated. I thought pleats were way out of fashion in Europe right now, yet it seems that most offered by this seller are pleated.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A high gorge is elongating. I like it, but I like it in conjunction with a shorter jacket. Many Italian brands, including Castangia and Attolini, like to combine a high gorge with a longer than usual jacket, for a VERY long look. I compensate by wearing a regular length, which looks perfect.

I really like the high gorge on those suits. Much more elegant and flattering to a nearly any physique than the low gorge American styles, which make you look like a congressman or other unsavory character.

I am very surprised that the majority of the Attolini suit trousers seem to be double-pleated. I thought pleats were way out of fashion in Europe right now, yet it seems that most offered by this seller are pleated.

I'm pretty sure I know where those suits come from (a high end retailer in L.A.) that probably has enough clout (i.e. buys in enough volumne) to get the suits cut the way it wants.

kidkim2

Reaction score
rsp1--

When I first saw this Attolini suit, I was dumbstruck by the height of the gorge.  Together with the high armholes and apparent overpadding, the gorge made the suit, as pictured, appear to me awkwardly, uncomfortably "at attention."  It's as if the photographer had neglected to remove the hanger. . . .

But the comments of Alias and others have forced me to reconsider.  Not everybody is "over-elongated."  And for men of a more nearly normal size than I (43XL), those high notches might be just the thing.

In other words, each of us is an utterly unique individual--and we shouldn't let the guidelines blind us to the fact that in the long run our clothing choices, too, must be unique.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rsp1--

When I first saw this Attolini suit, I was dumbstruck by the height of the gorge.  Together with the high armholes and apparent overpadding, the gorge made the suit, as pictured, appear to me awkwardly, uncomfortably "at attention."  It's as if the photographer had neglected to remove the hanger. . . .

But the comments of Alias and others have forced me to reconsider.  Not everybody is "over-elongated."  And for men of a more nearly normal size than I (43XL), those high notches might be just the thing.

In other words, each of us is an utterly unique individual--and we shouldn't let the guidelines blind us to the fact that in the long run our clothing choices, too, must be unique.
Attolini uses minimal padding, actually. And a high armhole is much more flattering (not to mention comfortable and practical). Brioni also has a rather high armhole, as do certain Savile Row firms (Huntsman immediately comes to mind).

koji

pitonboy

Reaction score
I actually have this exact suit. The shoulders are minimally padded. The jacket does give the impression of length but I like it that way. The cut of the jacket is such that I were a 42R with attolini and a 40R with everyone else.

Incidentally, I took this suit to my tailor who has worken on a lot of Kitons and such and he made a special point of mentioning to me how well constructed this suit was.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have this exact suit.  The shoulders are minimally padded.  The jacket does give the impression of length but I like it that way.  The cut of the jacket is such that I were a 42R with attolini and a 40R with everyone else.

Incidentally, I took this suit to my tailor who has worken on a lot of Kitons and such and he made a special point of mentioning to me how well constructed this suit was.
did you get the suit from worldsfinest ebay seller?

on which side (left or right of the chest pocket) do the attolini jacket have the label sewed?

Yes, the Attolini suit that i tried on had min. padding like my Armani suit, i think all Attolini suits have min. padding?

I think i am gonna have to go with 44R, cuz I truely believe that 42 was too tight on me (I was not even wearing a dress shirt, just a thin t shirt).  With pants, I am going to try to un-pleat the plants .. so i get a nice flat front pants.

I just got my Brioni back from tailor shop.  Very nicely done.  I absolutly love BOLD lines and cuts that Brioni creates.  I love attolini; it's soft and subtle but killer body conturing line ..

pitonboy

Reaction score
Yes, the suit in question (and the two other Attolinis I own) have all come from worldsfinest aka Ian, who is a pleasure to deal with. If you have questions about the fit, email Ian and he will help you out but I think the 44 is your ticket in this case.

MikeF

Reaction score
You can't get the pants made into flat front pants without some rather substantial tailoring.

Elio

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been reading this forum for a while now, this is my first post.
About the fit of Attolini: I own a few of them (some from the Ebay seller in question), all 40R, and though the fit in the chest and shoulders is very consistent, they do vary quite a bit in jacket length.
I've never seen flat fronted Attolini trousers, I think they either have one- or two pleats. I much prefer the single pleated version: very elegant cut and drape. I personally think non-pleated trousers would look a bit out of place with the classically cut jacket. (About pleats being out of fashion in Europe: yes they are, certainly in casual clothing. But virtually all Italian suits sold nowadays have single pleated trousers.)
Construction-wise, I think Attolini suits are the best RTW suits by far. The cut and workmanship are flawless, quite a bit better than Kiton IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads