• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper attire for weekend dinner

NBankston

Reaction score
I searched the archives but did not find a specific answer to the question, "what is appropriate attire for dinner, on the weekend, at a nice restaurant (without dress code)?"  I am mid 30's and typically date women in their late 20's/early 30's.  I prefer to wear a suit but invariably out dress my date.  What are my options?

cuffthis

Reaction score
I would wear a blue blazer or coat, grey flannel trousers, dark brown suede cap toe shoes and a cotton button down shirt.

Classic, but elegent. Add a pocket square to jazz it up.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could also substitute a cashmere or merino long sleeve polo shirt in place of the oxford shirt in the outfit that Cuffthis has suggested.

benchan

Reaction score
I would simply go with a spring colour cashmere sweater, grey trousers and some ankle boots. Women like the feel of nice cashmere when you hug them.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would wear a blue blazer or coat, grey flannel trousers, dark brown suede cap toe shoes and a cotton button down shirt.
Can't do much better than that.

NBankston

Reaction score
Excellent suggestions. Thank you.

Cuffthis, I have the suede cap toes from Peal & Co. (C&J, I think) for BB. They seem a bit light to me for evening. I like your suggestion of a darker brown suede. Any specific shoe recommendations?

spatten

Reaction score
I like the ideas so far. I have given a lot of thought to appropiate date wear - how to look classic, smart and not outdress the girl.

I like to take it down a notch - I'll usually go for a brown check jacket with patch pockets. I usually wear a nice thin wool,silk sweater underneath. Slacks and a nice semi-brouge.

One large caveat is if I were down/up town in a metropolitan city - I would wear the darker colours. Closer to the original suggestion. I probably wouldn't wear a button-down shirt - a little to Amer Trad for the city and your age.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Cuffthis, I have the suede cap toes from Peal & Co. (C&J, I think) for BB. They seem a bit light to me for evening. I like your suggestion of a darker brown suede. Any specific shoe recommendations?

Try the Brooks Brothers web site. I just looked on there and they have a very dark color brown suede tassel loafer. That is the color I was suggesting. I have a pair this color in a lace up cap toe that is my favorite choice to wear with grey flannel.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the Brooks Brothers web site. I just looked on there and they have a very dark color brown suede tassel loafer. That is the color I was suggesting.
Probably my favorite Alden shoe-$78 less than Brooks every day at NYC Citishoes (no association). I wear the shoe year- round (black suit thread is over, as to suede shoe rules), as it is smoother and less textured than, say, a Crockett and Jones suede.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Classic, but elegent. Add a pocket square to jazz it up.
In theory, I think this is a wonderful idea: timeless, classic, conveying just the right amount of casual elegance. But I'd be afraid your date might wonder why you were dressed like a museum security guard. Like it or not, the navy blazer/grey flannel trousers look has been co-opted in a less-than-desirable way.

NBankston

Reaction score
Chicago. A range of restaurants. Mostly upscale. Mostly downtown but some neighborhood locations as well. Trendier. Places like Blackbird, Kamehachi, Nine, but also Gibson's for people watching, if you're familiar with Chicago.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
But I'd be afraid your date might wonder why you were dressed like a museum security guard. Like it or not, the navy blazer/grey flannel trousers look has been co-opted in a less-than-desirable way.
Musuem guards wear badly cut SB blazers with cheesy insignias. Well cut DB will look nice. Plus they wear worsted trousers, not flannel. I think it will look great. The suede shoes are coup de grace.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I'd be afraid your date might wonder why you were dressed like a museum security guard. Like it or not, the navy blazer/grey flannel trousers look has been co-opted in a less-than-desirable way.
So that's why strangers approach me in the street and ask "when do you open" and "can I take photos using a flash".

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How about a black slim fit shirt, with some deep indigo or black jeans, and a slim lapel jacket, by something like Dior Homme, with some nice boots for a bit of a younger look.

Or a black cashmere roll neck with some jeans crisp, fresh looking dark jeans always looks nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads