1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Proper attire for weekend dinner

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NBankston, Feb 17, 2005.

1. NBankston

NBankston Member

I searched the archives but did not find a specific answer to the question, "what is appropriate attire for dinner, on the weekend, at a nice restaurant (without dress code)?"  I am mid 30's and typically date women in their late 20's/early 30's.  I prefer to wear a suit but invariably out dress my date.  What are my options?

2. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior Member

I would wear a blue blazer or coat, grey flannel trousers, dark brown suede cap toe shoes and a cotton button down shirt.

Classic, but elegent. Add a pocket square to jazz it up.

3. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

You could also substitute a cashmere or merino long sleeve polo shirt in place of the oxford shirt in the outfit that Cuffthis has suggested.

4. benchan

benchan Senior Member

I would simply go with a spring colour cashmere sweater, grey trousers and some ankle boots. Women like the feel of nice cashmere when you hug them.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Can't do much better than that.

6. NBankston

NBankston Member

Excellent suggestions. Thank you.

Cuffthis, I have the suede cap toes from Peal & Co. (C&J, I think) for BB. They seem a bit light to me for evening. I like your suggestion of a darker brown suede. Any specific shoe recommendations?

7. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

Depends. What city, what kind of venue?

8. spatten

spatten Senior Member

I like the ideas so far. I have given a lot of thought to appropiate date wear - how to look classic, smart and not outdress the girl.

I like to take it down a notch - I'll usually go for a brown check jacket with patch pockets. I usually wear a nice thin wool,silk sweater underneath. Slacks and a nice semi-brouge.

One large caveat is if I were down/up town in a metropolitan city - I would wear the darker colours. Closer to the original suggestion. I probably wouldn't wear a button-down shirt - a little to Amer Trad for the city and your age.

9. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior Member

Try the Brooks Brothers web site. I just looked on there and they have a very dark color brown suede tassel loafer. That is the color I was suggesting. I have a pair this color in a lace up cap toe that is my favorite choice to wear with grey flannel.

10. STYLESTUDENT

Probably my favorite Alden shoe-$78 less than Brooks every day at NYC Citishoes (no association). I wear the shoe year- round (black suit thread is over, as to suede shoe rules), as it is smoother and less textured than, say, a Crockett and Jones suede.

11. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

In theory, I think this is a wonderful idea: timeless, classic, conveying just the right amount of casual elegance. But I'd be afraid your date might wonder why you were dressed like a museum security guard. Like it or not, the navy blazer/grey flannel trousers look has been co-opted in a less-than-desirable way.

12. NBankston

NBankston Member

Chicago. A range of restaurants. Mostly upscale. Mostly downtown but some neighborhood locations as well. Trendier. Places like Blackbird, Kamehachi, Nine, but also Gibson's for people watching, if you're familiar with Chicago.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Musuem guards wear badly cut SB blazers with cheesy insignias. Well cut DB will look nice. Plus they wear worsted trousers, not flannel. I think it will look great. The suede shoes are coup de grace.

14. STYLESTUDENT

So that's why strangers approach me in the street and ask "when do you open" and "can I take photos using a flash".

15. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

How about a black slim fit shirt, with some deep indigo or black jeans, and a slim lapel jacket, by something like Dior Homme, with some nice boots for a bit of a younger look.

Or a black cashmere roll neck with some jeans crisp, fresh looking dark jeans always looks nice.