• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper attire for business dinner

wcarson89

Reaction score
I am interviewing for an internship at a large national accounting firm. The day before I am flying into the city and as far as I know going straight to dinner from the airport. My question is:
should wear a suit for the travel and dinner? or should I wear something less dressy?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Evening tailcoat, white tie, pique bib and spats.
laugh.gif

Just wear a suit, and you will be fine. If overdressed, you can always take your jacket and / or tie off.

level32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
That sounds like a terrible schedule where a suit might get slightly wrinkled, but you should wear one anyway.

agreed.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This forum's suggestion is to always wear a suit no matter the time or place.
confused.gif
Wear the suit to the interview. Base the dinner attire decision on common sense and where it'll be held. My guess is that even if it's at the French Laundry, a conservative jacket and trousers (you know, the non suit kind) will be perfectly fine.

level32

Reaction score
I've never had an pre-interview/recruiting dinner where a suit and tie to dinner looked out of place in the slightest. This especially applies since OP is talking about large national accounting firm. If it's PWC, I remember they treat recruits pretty nicely. If it's not PWC, I'm sure it'll be a nice place anyway.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wear a suit. I don't understand why folks are flustered about going directly from an airport to dinner, it's not uncommon. I do this routinely, as do many others. Suits wrinkle on a plane, but no more so than from normal sitting in an office all day, it's not a big deal.

enjoiii

Reaction score
I was recently hired by a Big 4 firm for a full-time position and I would say go with a suit. Personally I would not wear a tie, at my firm most of the partners do not wear them often.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enjoiii
I was recently hired by a Big 4 firm for a full-time position and I would say go with a suit. Personally I would not wear a tie, at my firm most of the partners do not wear them often.
I'd wear a tie. You can always take it off, if needed.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
suit

justinsmnz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enjoiii

They've earned that right.

kxk

Reaction score
uh is changing in the airport bathroom not an option? especially if you're going for just an interview and traveling light...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads