1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pronunciation Guide

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jbc217, Dec 4, 2004.

1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

The French don't even pronounce their own capital right--"pair-is", not "pair-ee". [​IMG]

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I found this one out the other day -

Martin Margiela is "Mar jhell uh"

jh = extra soft sound.

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

in italian, the 'g' makes a 'j' sound. think of gelato or gianni versace. the exception is when a 'g' is followed by an 'h', as in spaghetti.

edit: i'm guesing his name is italian. margiela is belgian right? what language is his name?

you don't know what you're talking about. the name ermenegildo also exists in spanish, with the same spelling. in that case it is pronounced er-me-ne-heel-doh. in italian it is er-me-ne-jeel-doh.

4. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

You should

5. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

As when someone does't pronounce properly it is often because he is not aware of the righte way to pronounce or because he is not able.

I guess you are able to pronouce a "S" at the end of a word?

Why? May be beacause your are more intelligent than these people?

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

And those Brits who call themselves "Coburn" spell it in a much more earthly way
    (we don't pronounce the "ck").

7. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

7-Up - pronounced "lemonade" lemonade - nowhere to be found [​IMG]

8. Nonk

Nonk Senior Member

Californian real estate expert, and tv "House Doctor" Anne Maurice constantly tells us to place a "Murrr" on the wall opposite a window in a room to make it appear larger and increase natural light. I use a mirror instead. [​IMG]

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

I found this one out the other day - Martin Margiela is "Mar jhell uh" jh = extra soft sound.
    in italian, the 'g' makes a 'j' sound. think of gelato or gianni versace. the exception is when a 'g' is followed by an 'h', as in spaghetti. edit: i'm guesing his name is italian. margiela is belgian right? what language is his name?
    you don't know what you're talking about. the name ermenegildo also exists in spanish, with the same spelling. in that case it is pronounced er-me-ne-heel-doh. in italian it is er-me-ne-jeel-doh.
    Yes, some people have no idea what they are talking about. (about time someone said it.) Anyways, If I recall correctly the Zegna family was originally from Spain, no? Italian or Spanish, either way both of these would in fact fit the spectrum of proper pronunciation: er-me-ne-heel-doh / er-me-ne-jeel-doh H and J sometimes sound very similar (well, in Argentinean Castellano in any case). Jon.

10. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Along those lines, President Bush is clearly a Gone With the Wind fan -- as we continue to fight the war on Tara  [​IMG] Bradford

11. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior Member

In a place he mistakenly pronounces as Eyerak.

12. Alexis

Alexis Senior Member

With a huge French influence. Though it descends from the Germanic branch, English contains many words that come from the Romantic branch (i.e. French).

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Distinguished Member

Aside on enforced pronunciation/translation:

A German friend of mine complained that Englisch-sprechen tourists always want to see the Black Forest. "It's der (das?) Schwarzwald. You wouldn't want us going to your national park and calling it Gelbstein."

Point being, proper nouns (and pronunciation) shouldn't really translate/change, though I think this is a case-by-case thing. I believe Hermes should be pronouned however company ownership wants it pronounced, regardless of the snobbishness this might encourage. Folks are free to say it how they want, but that doesn't make it correct.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

(Nonk @ 05 Dec. 2004, 4:39) Californian real estate expert, and tv "House Doctor" Anne Maurice constantly tells us to place a "Murrr" on the wall opposite a window in a room to make it appear larger and increase natural light. I use a mirror instead. [​IMG]
    Along those lines, President Bush is clearly a Gone With the Wind fan -- as we continue to fight the war on Tara [​IMG] Bradford
    Well Dubya has enough problems pronouncing words in English... Jon.

15. Aaron

Aaron Distinguished Member

I was watching a speech from JFK the other day, you should see him try to pronounce "Cuba" (or "Cuber" as he termed it)

Aaron