1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pronouncing words correctly

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by jslade, Sep 22, 2011.

1. jslade

jslade Senior member

When you guys run into a word that you know is supposed to be pronounced differently than the common pronunciation, how do you go about pronouncing that word in your general usage of it?

e.g. Pulitzer, Porsche, coupe, etc.

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

The only reason I eat at Vietnamese restaurants is so I can pronounce phở extra correctly like a massive prick. It's best when I order last and embarrass the people that got it wrong.

3. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

It makes me giggle when you run into a "huge" Porsche fan and he pronounces incorrectly. I mean if you love the car, then pronounce it like the manufacturers do!

If you watch top gear, hearing Jeremy, Richard, and Mays pronounce stuff is humorous at times. The Prius one stands out the most, and coupe' just doesn't sound right to my ears lol .

And how so on Pulitzer? Pull vs pew?

4. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

a router is pronounced rooter unless it is a woodworking tool

5. BaaBaaBlackFleece

BaaBaaBlackFleece Active Member

the only routers i ever deal with are those in computer networks....definitely not pronounced "rooter" there......

6. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I would imagine that "router" would be pronounced however your section of the world pronounces "route"

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. I tend to use the correct pronunciations, but not coupe' because it doesn't sound right to me coming from a typical American in the U.S.

8. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

I want to enunciate pho correctly. Please let me in on this? I will pronounce a word depending on the company I'm with. If I said schedule without the ch sound my friends would laugh or my employees wouldn't know what I was talking about. That being said, I'm loosing my english quickly living here in texas, please help!

9. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Pho'' = fa more or less.

10. 7AD

7AD Active Member

I pronounce and spell words how I want to, it's all a convention anyway

11. jobro

jobro Senior member

yeis becoz itt iz mush esier tu unastan yur whey ov speling than the correct way.

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Having owned a Porsche, belonged to PCA, autocrossed and the rest, the guys you made it two syllables were invariably douchebags. Without fail.

13. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  14. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

as a filthy antipode, for most cars i say 'koopay' but it would sound weird saying "Koopay Deville" so american cars get "Koop"

edit: oh yeh, and most Australians pronounce "Route" as "root' but "Router" is pronounced the American way. But that is mainly because Australians have purile sense of humour and giggle like school girls when someone pronounces "router" the English way.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

how to pronounce Isaia?

so is it porsh or porsh-Ah?
    coop or coop-ay?

actually, I call it a r-ow-ter but I say root for directions, so maybe it should be pronounced 'rooter'?

16. jcparke

jcparke New Member

The British make a living pronouncing things wrong. Maybe that tells you something.

17. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Correction you-who

18. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Generally, the brits ARE wrong. Historically. Importing a German king screwed up their version of the language and screwed around with their accent rather badly.

What we think of as a thick Southern drawl in the US is about the closest thing you'll find to a preserved pre-hanoverian english accent. How a word would be pronounced in that accent is, at least historically, the most correct way.

As another sidenote to that, there are a lot of 'Americanisms' that are actually preserved uses from older forms of english. 'Fall' rather than 'autumn', for instance.

19. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

thats like claiming Afrikaans is correct and dutch is wrong

20. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Not at all, really. American English is, in many areas, a preserved version of what English was in England before they imported a German king who butchered it, and was imitated by all the elites so as not to appear to be correcting their king. That version became authoritative in England, but not in the american colonies, where the older version remained due to lack of communication. New england, new york and the like developed their own accents over time, but the aristocratically controlled south kept the old accent.

A similar principle applies to Aussies- the Australian dialect is actually one from low class workers in a few concentrated areas, from whence a lot of poor criminals were shipped out to the penal colony.

Afrikaans is later variation of the original Dutch. American english, specifically the form you might find in the old south, is the original, while England underwent a shift in the language.

All that said, I'm not going to be one to claim there's a correct and an incorrect form. Language is defined by usage, and English has an incredibly flexible structure and vocabulary. It formed as a pidgin, after all.