• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Prominent forum member being interviewed

clip

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2011
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
He's an idiot, just like the rest of the leadership of the UoL Unions.

This is case in point that you aren't what you wear.

College\\VI form students never needed EMA. All you need to know about EMA is that it was introduced by the last government.
 

kennethpollock

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
306
Reaction score
0
My mistake as to which forum-he is prominently on AskAndy as Sean1982.
 

intent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
4,393
Reaction score
5
The lapels and the hat make him look like a costumed character.
 

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
4,220
Reaction score
83
Originally Posted by intent
The lapels and the hat make him look like a costumed character.

Don't forget the pocket watch chain...
 

Mac

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2010
Messages
412
Reaction score
2
I know people who get EMA - myself included because my mum is a single parent. Unless you're at university however, there is really no need for it. Everyone I know spends it on drink, drugs, clothes etc. His argument that it is 'needed' and that it should be increased is completely wrong and without merit.

I get sick of students protesting everything that's wrong with their lives, I really do. Moreover, he looks like a twat.
 

intent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
4,393
Reaction score
5
On a related note, I detested student financing protests even back when I was an undergrad student. The tuition freeze argument is stupid because it fucks over the next generation of students.

The "tuition is too high" crowd can go to a cheaper school, get a loan, or do better and get a scholarship. Or just work for a few years (join the military if they have no skills) and go back to school.

Students are a bunch of entitled twats who think higher education in non-essential areas is a birthright. The most atrocious ones are those who believe taxpayers should pay for their tuition completely, since schools are breeding grounds for intellectual endeavors that benefit society.

My suggestion, should they insist on more government support, is this: The government could pay for a year of your tuition and books completely for every year of military service you do (or every 2 years of volunteer/public interest work). It'll get rid of the crowd that doesn't know what they want to do in life but goes to school since it's what you're supposed to do.
 

Mac

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2010
Messages
412
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by intent
On a related note, I detested student financing protests even back when I was an undergrad student. The tuition freeze argument is stupid because it fucks over the next generation of students.

The "tuition is too high" crowd can go to a cheaper school, get a loan, or do better and get a scholarship. Or just work for a few years (join the military if they have no skills) and go back to school.

Students are a bunch of entitled twats who think higher education in non-essential areas is a birthright. The most atrocious ones are those who believe taxpayers should pay for their tuition completely, since schools are breeding grounds for intellectual endeavors that benefit society.

My suggestion, should they insist on more government support, is this: The government could pay for a year of your tuition and books completely for every year of military service you do (or every 2 years of volunteer/public interest work). It'll get rid of the crowd that doesn't know what they want to do in life but goes to school since it's what you're supposed to do.


+1,000,000.
 

kungapa

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
838
Reaction score
26
Originally Posted by intent
On a related note, I detested student financing protests even back when I was an undergrad student. The tuition freeze argument is stupid because it fucks over the next generation of students.

The "tuition is too high" crowd can go to a cheaper school, get a loan, or do better and get a scholarship. Or just work for a few years (join the military if they have no skills) and go back to school.

Students are a bunch of entitled twats who think higher education in non-essential areas is a birthright. The most atrocious ones are those who believe taxpayers should pay for their tuition completely, since schools are breeding grounds for intellectual endeavors that benefit society.

My suggestion, should they insist on more government support, is this: The government could pay for a year of your tuition and books completely for every year of military service you do (or every 2 years of volunteer/public interest work). It'll get rid of the crowd that doesn't know what they want to do in life but goes to school since it's what you're supposed to do.


Your argument simplifies the situation to the point of absurdity. Tuition growth has outpaced inflation by several percentage points for decades. I don't know when you went to school, but the GI bill doesn't get you very far today.
 

changy

Senior Member
Joined
May 9, 2008
Messages
573
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by intent
On a related note, I detested student financing protests even back when I was an undergrad student. The tuition freeze argument is stupid because it fucks over the next generation of students.

The "tuition is too high" crowd can go to a cheaper school, get a loan, or do better and get a scholarship. Or just work for a few years (join the military if they have no skills) and go back to school.

Students are a bunch of entitled twats who think higher education in non-essential areas is a birthright. The most atrocious ones are those who believe taxpayers should pay for their tuition completely, since schools are breeding grounds for intellectual endeavors that benefit society.

My suggestion, should they insist on more government support, is this: The government could pay for a year of your tuition and books completely for every year of military service you do (or every 2 years of volunteer/public interest work). It'll get rid of the crowd that doesn't know what they want to do in life but goes to school since it's what you're supposed to do.


++++ Well said, sir. I would like to hear your thoughts on what are non-essential areas
 

DerekS

Guyliner
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
8,625
Reaction score
4,843
Originally Posted by intent
The lapels and the hat make him look like a costumed character.

agreed. also a spoiled brat..."gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme" ah behold the entitlement generation.
 

Mac

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2010
Messages
412
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by kungapa
Your argument simplifies the situation to the point of absurdity. Tuition growth has outpaced inflation by several percentage points for decades. I don't know when you went to school, but the GI bill doesn't get you very far today.
The army was an example. Prospective students can get a job anywhere - work full time for a year, take out a loan when going to university and you'll be fine. Furthermore, student loans (in the UK, at least) are interest-free. Why does the government have to subsidise everything young people do? Pay your own way. UK students are now a bunch of pinko liberals who moan about everything and anything.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
131
Originally Posted by Mac
Furthermore, student loans (in the UK, at least) are interest-free.

If you take a look at any one of my student loan statements you'll see they are most certainly not interest free. There is no interest while you are at Uni, but once you are in full-time employment and begin paying it back there is interest. Its considerably lower than it would be on a loan from anywhere else, but it's still there.

Originally Posted by intent
Students are a bunch of entitled twats

Someone sounds bitter.
 

clip

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2011
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
UK students have always been a bunch of "pinko liberals" that want to have everything for free. The only difference is that the nation has been numbed into stupidity by over a decade of the worst and most destructive government ever, and is now generally just as much a wet blanket and willing to listen to anyone grumbling about anything.

The current student position is this: "I want someone else to pay for me." And that's it.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 9 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 39 15.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 77 30.4%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 50 19.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 17 6.7%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 17 6.7%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 10 4.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 11 4.3%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 14 5.5%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,324
Messages
9,197,129
Members
193,158
Latest member
hardmod

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top